Old November 19, 2002, 10:31   #61
Llama
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, we do know that Rantz likes to tease, and he probably isn't allowed to say anything, so that's two reasons why he's only been saying that they're getting close, etc...
Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2002, 10:35   #62
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
Okay, I'll bite.

What good does it do to not announce "gone gold" to reafirm that everything is on track for the release date?
Old November 19, 2002, 10:51   #63
DATarbell

It seems to be that the biggest conspiracy theory being contrived here is the one that tries to give credence to the official "release" date being a reality. Not only is there no evidence to support it, they're now even playing with the meaning (a la Clinton): i.e., "release" date means in-store, no, no, wait, it means the product is shipping, er, we mean, it has left QS's hands and will be shipping shortly, well, not exactly, but it should be available very soon.

BTW, can anyone explain to me the possible merits of hiding or delaying a "gone gold" announcement? It would seem that any company in their right mind would want to get the official word out there as soon as possible in order to generate 'buzz'. Let's face it--the vast majority of their market has no idea what "gone gold" actually means and for the ones who do know and do care the delay in announcing is having a negative effect.

Nature abhors a vacuum. And so does the marketplace. (The floor is now open for all Hoover-type jokes.)
Old November 19, 2002, 11:21   #64
DATarbell

Quote:
Originally posted by RPMisCOOL
Okay, I'll bite.

What good does it do to not announce "gone gold" to reafirm that everything is on track for the release date?
Looks like I was thinking what you were writing. Darn my slow capacitors!
Old November 19, 2002, 11:35   #65
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Okay, at least I no longer feel like you were ignoring me and restating the obvious.
Old November 19, 2002, 11:41   #66
DATarbell

Quote:
Okay, at least I no longer feel like you were ignoring me and restating the obvious.
Nope. Just slow. Wait until you get ahold of me in a multi-player game! Boy, are you going to have some fun then!
Old November 19, 2002, 11:44   #67
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 04:34
Quote:
, can anyone explain to me the possible merits of hiding or delaying a "gone gold" announcement?
I can only think of one reason to delay announcing it if it has in fact gone gold. At least that makes sense to me. If it went gold late, but not too late to completely rule out the target date. (ie) it didn't go gold on the 1st like they had hoped, but say it went gold on the 7th (made up #'s, I know little about how long it takes to replicate cds)

Then they may want to hold off on the "gone gold" announcement, until they get word back from the factory that yes they are going to make the release date or no they are not. Afterall, how many gold announcements have you seen that don't give a firm street date. And it'd be very embaressing if they did announce it went gold, it'll be out on the 26th, only to have to recant that and say it slipped a week because they didnt give the manufactoring side enough time

So thats my guess, they aren't willing to give a "gold" announcement without a firm 100% locked in street date, and with the gold to street time so small in this case, they probally can't do that until they have some percentage of the replication process completed.
wervdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2002, 12:53   #68
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

So the bottom line is that the absence of a gone gold announcement is showing that the product will more than likely ship late.

The end result is that I will not be playing this game on the 26th

Which I guess is par for the course since I wasn't playing in the spring or fall of this year either.

I also remember a last minute push out of those dates as well.
Old November 19, 2002, 13:48   #69
wmtrexler
Civilization III Multiplayer
Settler

Posted here!

Update from Chantz
Hi Folks,

Yes, it's been a while, just wanted to give you a quick update.

*The release date for MOO3 has been moved back to 12/4.*

*We're probably going to go gold this Friday or sooner* - i'll make an announcement here when it does.

You'll see EB and the like retool their dates over the next few days.

I know some of you are going to be upset, but understand, we want to release a thoroughly enjoyable, bug free Single Player AND Multiplayer gaming experience. Right now, we have a couple of late game crash bugs in MP that *have* been nailed; we just need some more time to test.

Most of our external testers feel that the game can ship as it stands now. However, we care about all the MP players out there (and there are a lot of you), so we're doing it right. This make all of us (QSI, our internal testers and external testers) very happy.

Be thankful that we are NOT rushing this out the door So hang tight and be cool...we're almost done!

Best,
Constantine
Old November 19, 2002, 14:03   #70
DATarbell

Surprise, surprise.
Old November 19, 2002, 15:55   #71
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:34
Maybe this one is real.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2002, 15:58   #72
DATarbell

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Maybe this one is real.
Well, eventually one of them has to be real. I'd certainly prefer it to be this one rather than the next one, or the one after that, or...
Old November 19, 2002, 18:56   #73
Master-Mike
Warlord

Local Time: 20:34
Well i was right again aother delay. I thought there was a few late minute bugs as that is the only real reason a company would delay a GOLD anonucement not some marketing strategy that just doesnt make economic sense. Oh well maybe its time i went to the store and bought another game, to pass the time until moo3.
Master-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2002, 21:39   #74
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

The great Johnny Carson looks into the crystal ball and predicts... 12/11 as the true release date

Trust me

It'll take them at least a week to iron out the bugs that they will inadvertently create when they try to destroy the bugs that are already present

It's a rule of programming- in trying to eliminate bugs- you will create new ones

...But at least the game will be bug-free... hopefully...if the release date is pushed back!
Old November 19, 2002, 22:14   #75
vmxa1
Deity

Not bug free, but maybe bug reduced. Darkcloud, I hope Karnak is not early.
Old November 20, 2002, 05:20   #76
Gooberman32
Warlord

Local Time: 18:34
And i was so looking forward to next tuesday, well at least i have more time to save up for it.
Old November 20, 2002, 05:34   #77
Gooberman32
Warlord

at least we know when its going gold to qoute the announcement "friday or sooner"
Old November 20, 2002, 11:16   #78
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Whoosh....Oh this blows!
Old November 20, 2002, 13:34   #79
vmxa1
Deity

RPMisCOOL, it was inevitable.
Old November 20, 2002, 13:35   #80
DATarbell

Quote:
Originally posted by Gooberman32
at least we know when its going gold to qoute the announcement "friday or sooner"
In truth, we know nothing except that the "gone gold" announcement has been delayed (again) and that the ship date/in-store date has been delayed (again).
Old November 20, 2002, 14:13   #81
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Does anyone remember software that was released early?
Old November 20, 2002, 14:21   #82
DATarbell

Quote:
Does anyone remember software that was released early?
Premature, yes. Early, no.
Old November 21, 2002, 01:11   #83
Gooberman32
Warlord

its only 8 days calm down....
Old November 21, 2002, 02:13   #84
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by Gooberman32
its only 8 days calm down....
its so much more fun this way though!
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2002, 11:21   #85
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 11:34
Yup. How can we diss properly if we don't work up a real hype frenzy before release?
Old November 21, 2002, 16:38   #86
Alex-C
Chieftain

Yeah and without Hype Frenzy you can't have the inevitable "This game is bug ridden, waste of money nonsense and doesn't live up to the hype. PS - the graphics sux" type complaints from people who have played about 3 minutes of it
Alex-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2002, 18:12   #87
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Where's Jimmy Trick and Coracle when you need them!
Old November 21, 2002, 21:47   #88
Gooberman32
Warlord

I think thats why its delayed... so the game will have little reason for us to Diss it