Old November 7, 2002, 00:11   #1
jschuur
GameSpy Industries
Developer Relations Manager

Local Time: 02:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
GameSpy Matchmaking Clarification
Some clarifying words here from the Developer Relations Manager at GameSpy (that's me):

'Uninstalling GameSpy (Arcade)' will not affect your game performance. For one, having it installed while you're doing all your matchmaking using the in-game system couldn't affect your performance, since it's not running. More to this later on.

Plenty of other games use Arcade for matchmaking, including TBS games like Moonbase Commander, Heroes of Might & Magic IV. Telling people to uninstall it would be extremely ill advised, especially since it is not the root of the problem here.

Even if your game is launched by GameSpy Arcade because you chose to browser for games with it, Arcade will use next to no extra bandwidth while minimized. This is documented here:

http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/hibernate.shtml

Additionally, if you're using the in-game matchmaking system (accessable via the 'Multipayer' menu item), you're still using GameSpy tech as a matchmaking solution BTW. Infogrames and Firaxis have licensed our tech to allow you to find opponents in-game without needing to run an external matchmaking application.

So why's the game so slow then, you say? PTW currently sends more traffic than it should when performing in-game GameSpy matchmaking. It's a known issue by Firaxis and GameSpy, we've isolated the problem and Firaxis will be fixing this in the next patch.

GameSpy Arcade also doesn't install any spyware products. All software bundles are specifically prompted for. If you installed it straight off of the CD, you're getting a version that is clean of any third party software bundles.

What is GameSpy Arcade there for then, if the game features an in-game matchmaking lobby? As some have mentioned in the forums, it's a convenient way of seeing activity in the lobbies, will not having the game running full screen. You can idle and do other work elsewhere on your desktop. If people decide they want to use the in-game solution solely, more power to them. Just remember you're still using GameSpy technology as implemented by the developer
Old November 7, 2002, 01:50   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:35
Good to hear that the problems are being worked on.
Old November 7, 2002, 02:03   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:35
I agree. If you do not have GameSpy running, how could it effect launching games?

I also applaud the news that the issues have been identified and are being fixed.
Old November 7, 2002, 02:19   #4
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

Local Time: 05:35
The only issue I have with gamespy is the memory, I can't have both run or I will have color issues but that is all on my end of it.
Old November 7, 2002, 04:10   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

How much memory is on the rig?
Old November 7, 2002, 06:45   #6
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

Mine? 364 MB
Old November 7, 2002, 09:56   #7
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 12:35
364 MB memory, and you have memory problems?!?! Man, that GameSpy program must be bad programmed or something... I'm glad I have 512 MB!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!

Last edited by Nikolai; November 7, 2002 at 10:05.
Old November 7, 2002, 10:02   #8
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

jschuur, Thanks for the input

This confirms a post (I cant remember exactly where) that said essentially the same thing. The MP slowness problems are not due to gamespy, its a problem with the game itself and directIP hosting (that many people asked for) wont help.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old November 7, 2002, 12:04   #9
Sandy
Settler

Local Time: 10:35
Gamespy sucks, use all seeing eye instead. No crap ads, slow memory hog software etc. You can donate if you want to, and with the approach the all seeing eye has taken, i am more likely to give them my money.
Old November 7, 2002, 16:30   #10
Wise Ass
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
364 MB memory, and you have memory problems?!?! Man, that GameSpy program must be bad programmed or something... I'm glad I have 512 MB!
It is more CIv3x that is the memory hog, but running anything in the backround will cause for "team" color loss.
Old November 7, 2002, 19:13   #11
Switch
Prince

364 MB and your having problems?
Do you have a lot of programs running in the background? You should check msconfig (typed in the "run" box) and under Startups deselect whatever you don't want. Check here for a list of what most of those things are, and whether you need them.
Old November 9, 2002, 02:58   #12
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:35
Re: GameSpy Matchmaking Clarification
Quote:
Originally posted by jschuur
...if you're using the in-game matchmaking system (accessable via the 'Multipayer' menu item)...
Freudian slip perhaps?
Old November 9, 2002, 03:50   #13
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Re: Re: GameSpy Matchmaking Clarification
Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora

Freudian slip perhaps?
That is rich.

Or should I say, HE is rich?
Old November 9, 2002, 04:26   #14
NeOmega
Prince

I did just read gamespy's staement, and I am a bit saddened, they replied to a thread I started at CFC, and yet, it appears they did not even take the time to read what I had posted.

In fact, my intelligence was insulted, as he went on to address how gamespy does not contribute to lag, (which I had already clearly clarified thaT UNINSTALLING IT WOULD NOT HELP lag issues) but did not address the fact that two different programs being used for the same game in the matchmaking process could be having problems, (even though thte techs are the same, something I also already aknowledged...... if he would have read the first post of the thread before he replied

then he went on to say that arcade and the Civ 3 PTW lobby use the same tech, not the same program

It seems to be inattentive damage control.

Quote:
Additionally, if you're using the in-game matchmaking system (accessable via the 'Multipayer' menu item), you're still using GameSpy tech as a matchmaking solution BTW. Infogrames and Firaxis have licensed our tech to allow you to find opponents in-game without needing to run an external matchmaking application.
So does that mean that these two programs are going to function with eachother flawlessly? Is there a chance that the two lobbies could be conflicting?

BTW the problem should be fixed in 1.05 patch, so I hear.

Last edited by NeOmega; November 9, 2002 at 04:37.
Old November 9, 2002, 08:48   #15
Sandy
Settler

Thats the problem with gamespy, they have been pulled down the buisness route, and lost touch with ordinary gamers.

Like they are going to ever listen to what you and I say .... but its their problem.
Old November 9, 2002, 16:40   #16
DJ RRebel
Settler

ummm ... does gamespy actually start itself when you open Civ3 multiplayer ???

I am experiencing exactly the same problem NeOmega is addressing, in that I can't actually start games with more then 2 people (1 vs 1) ... each time I try to host, no-one makes it to the 2nd set-up screen ... and on the other end ... when I don't host, I've never had a game where more than just me and the host made it to the 2nd screen ...

But I've never manually started the Gamespy software ... so the only gamespy tech running is the licented tech within Civ 3 ...

Unless, as I mentioned at the start, Spamespy automatically launches at the boot-up of your system, or when you launch Civ3 ...

How exactly does Gamespy work ???

Does it launch itself ???
Old November 9, 2002, 18:40   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i'm putting my money on a memory leak. me and my friend were playing, and we got horrible game-lag. we rebooted and all was well.
Old November 17, 2002, 08:49   #18
RealSpices
Settler

I uninstalled Gamespy and all the crashes stopped...
Old November 22, 2002, 16:19   #19
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by RealSpices
I uninstalled Gamespy and all the crashes stopped...
hi ,

and many people have done so with you , all with the same result , in most cases there are almost no crashes

have a nice day
Old November 28, 2002, 19:02   #20
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:35
I think the real point is many of us want to use direct IP - we don't want to use gamespy matchmaking at all.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 30, 2002, 05:28   #21
NeOmega
Prince

1.14f has direct tcp/ip connections
Old November 30, 2002, 05:30   #22
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Direct IP is working quite well.
Old December 7, 2002, 05:19   #23
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

how does it do with a dial up, i have adsl but we played a guy with dial up and it was brutal....

also i hear something a bout another patch on the horizon...hopefully it will be as successfull as the latest one 1.14f
Old December 7, 2002, 05:25   #24
notyoueither
Deity

I have not played with modem users yet, so I cannot say.

I would expect several more patches, if the past is an indication of the future.
Old January 6, 2003, 16:15   #25
petemajor
Settler

Hi all. I've been playing on 48.8 dialup...

Yeah, it gets a bit laggy now and then... but when you think that, every now and then, you lose a second or two in a turn that takes a couple of minutes it's not really a big deal.

Instead, the thing I find frustrating is all the launch crashes. My experience is that the game seems pretty stable *if* you manage to play the first turn ( and that's a BIG if ).

Roll on next patch!

Pete
Old January 8, 2003, 11:55   #26
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by petemajor
Hi all. I've been playing on 48.8 dialup...

Yeah, it gets a bit laggy now and then... but when you think that, every now and then, you lose a second or two in a turn that takes a couple of minutes it's not really a big deal.

Instead, the thing I find frustrating is all the launch crashes. My experience is that the game seems pretty stable *if* you manage to play the first turn ( and that's a BIG if ).

Roll on next patch!

Pete
hi ,

so you have these problems with the patch

it seems that people with high speed connections have less problems then people with low speed ones , ....

have a nice day