Old November 18, 2002, 18:29   #61
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 06:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by twilight

Alsways plaing deity without bonusses for the AI.

You do realize that if you eliminate the bonuses for the AI's on Diety you are really playing nothing more than a regent game, with AI's having a better trade rate? Kind of takes the teeth out of diety. INMSHO
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old November 18, 2002, 20:24   #62
twilight
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:35
Quote:
Originally posted by WarriorPoet
I've had some nasty games even on Monarch setting, where I am constantly beset apon by neighboring AI's. After I claw myself out of the ancient era, and survey my subjugated foes....then I spend my time diplomatically and military assuring that I never have to do that again.
In the early time I often build temples, granaries, barracks --- > offensive units. When I have enough another nation goes down. When I have a strong or (when playing in scenarios with bigger enemies) equal empire I build my cities up. Never fails. Frankly a pity.

But I suppose to do some thing! I am not quite sure, I mean I have no facts, it's only a feeling past many games: The Deity-AI does more interesting things. So mod your game, give the deitylevel the rules of monarch or regent or chieftain or whatever. Playing the same game, but with more interesting enemies.

Hm. But perhaps its nonsense. Does anybody knows more?
Old November 18, 2002, 20:31   #63
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 05:35
Interesting thoughts Twilight...however, my statement was meant to point at a "good" aspect of the game. I like the fealing of accomplishment that I get when I realize that the AI won't come out to play because it knows it'll get spanked!
Old November 18, 2002, 20:47   #64
twilight
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
You do realize that if you eliminate the bonuses for the AI's on Diety you are really playing nothing more than a regent game, with AI's having a better trade rate? Kind of takes the teeth out of diety. INMSHO
This is strange. I read the words and find no unsual. But in spite of this I feel it wasn't meant nice. But I don't know whats INMSHP so whatever.

No of course not. Only cutting the ai of bonusses means nothing. Playing a scenario could mean to play with a single city against one other nation with 1200, even when he had no additional starting units. Only for an extreme example. BTW you could also change the better trade rate.

But that not important, important is: I play a mod. My own personal mod and when speaking about Deity-level I mean the difficulty-grade with it's not-changable options. To avoid misunderstandings I write "deitylevels without Aibonusses". In my mods are really much changes of everykind, I always does experiments and hope to find one day my perfect game. That's it.

But I explained the posting before why I play this strange deitylevelwithoutaibonusses and I think that's enough. Only to say that it's meaningless, because when I, even when starting a hard early game, succeeded in conquering a single nation, the chances are equal and the same thing begins ---> AI have no chances at all.

I thought over many things, making units cheaper, so he can build more, giving him bonusses in whatever, but I hate giving the Ai more starting units when not playing a scenario, in other words if the nation should not be bigger until I think it should be bigger because of his historical role in that part of the world.
Old November 18, 2002, 20:58   #65
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 05:35
Interesting...so you mod as you go, Twilight?
Old November 18, 2002, 21:14   #66
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 06:35
Twilight:

I was just trying to show my disapproval of removing the AI bonuses, it was not meant to be unkind. The only thing that changes the difficulty level is the bonuses the AI recieves and the AI trade rate. If you have removed them then you have effectively modded them to a regent game, but it will be continued to be scored with diety levels. As long as you are not submitting scores, no real harm done. You should note that the AI algorithms do not change over the difficulty levels, so in order to increase levels of difficulty, the AI is given bonuses. I have no problem with mods, mods are great, but modding with no real purpose is not my cup of tea. Try modding the game and use regent as the difficulty level, your games will be surprisingly similar and will be a better gage of your skill level.

I messed up the IMNSHO accronym it stands for In My Not So Humble Opinion. (perhaps that was a bit unfair, my apologies)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old November 18, 2002, 22:00   #67
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 20:35
Re: The Biggest Thing Civ III is Lacking...
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Is a more non-linear gameplay. Other than your game situation (# of cities placed where, units and civs), every game is identical. You research the same techs, you use the same units, and worst of all, you can basically only take 'one' path. The game play style no matter what you do is nearly always similar. You can play 'builder' or 'warmonger', but that doesn't really count as different 'flavors' of the game. At some point you're going to have to build, and at some point (nearly always) you'll have to go to war. Suggestions on how this could be changed to make the game less 'linear'?
Aren't all CivGames like this to some extent?
Old November 19, 2002, 11:01   #68
twilight
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by WarriorPoet
Interesting...so you mod as you go, Twilight?
Right. Everytime new changes. I realize that I waste more time in modding than in playing, but however, it's fun.

And often the changes are crap.
But I like doing that
Old November 19, 2002, 11:15   #69
twilight
Chieftain

Quote:
I was just trying to show my disapproval of removing the AI bonuses, it was not meant to be unkind. The only thing that changes the difficulty level is the bonuses the AI recieves and the AI trade rate. If you have removed them then you have effectively modded them to a regent game, but it will be continued to be scored with diety levels. As long as you are not submitting scores, no real harm done.
I see the problem. Okay, let me explain it this way: I not even look at the scores. Really never did it. I see that after every winning I am xyz the magnificent and when I retire after a long day, perhaps after 100 turns, I see that I am only xyz the weak. Even if I builded the best nation in the game to the retirement. Kind of unfair, Alexander was only Alexander the weak because he didn't build a space ship

No, the score is not important for me at all. But I will be more careful in chosing words for this mod. But perhaps this is unneccassary, because:

Quote:
You should note that the AI algorithms do not change over the difficulty levels, so in order to increase levels of difficulty, the AI is given bonuses.
Are you really sure? Would be sad I think, but I said that it's perhaps nonsense. But there is this feeling about it ...

Quote:
I messed up the IMNSHO accronym it stands for In My Not So Humble Opinion. (perhaps that was a bit unfair, my apologies)
No prob, we don't began a flamewar, that's good