View Poll Results: If you have the expansion, do you think it was worth it? (answeronly if you have exp)
Yes, the expansion is worth it! Go and buy it now. 39 79.59%
No, the expansion is not good. Wait or skip on the exp. 10 20.41%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 7, 2002, 02:12   #1
KoalaBear33
Warlord

Local Time: 05:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
POLL: How many think the expansion is worth buying?
How many people are satisfied with their civ: expansion purchase? Is it just me or is the expansion kind of expensive relative to the game price? Granted, the original game was cheap so maybe it's ok.

KoalaBear33
Old November 7, 2002, 04:08   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:35
I am glad I got mine.
Old November 7, 2002, 04:10   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:35
If you like SP, yes.

If like LAN, PBEM, yes.

If you want INet MP, maybe wait a bit and see what the patch brings.
Old November 7, 2002, 04:29   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:35
I like SP,
and assuming that my PTW will run now that I have reinstalled my WHOLE BLEEPIN' HARD DRIVE(!!) (see the 1.04 bugs thread, nobody had any advice to give) ...
I will have a great time while they improve reliability even on the SP mode of the game.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 7, 2002, 05:32   #5
aaglo
King

Local Time: 13:35
I want to buy it!
Old November 7, 2002, 05:42   #6
dovlvn
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:35
the expansion is way too expensive seeing that the mp doesnt work well and only the sp works (partialy...). as I said on my thread (locked by sys admin who care more about protecting infogames profits than our free speech)

for the sp only ptw isnt worth the price (no more than 10-15$) and until the mp is fixed you shouldn't buy it .wait till they finish making the repairs add 56k support and only then buy.

Old November 7, 2002, 05:51   #7
georges bonbon
Warlord

I have not bought it yet due to my living in the wrong part of the world, but I voted yes.
Old November 7, 2002, 06:33   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by dovlvn
the expansion is way too expensive seeing that the mp doesnt work well and only the sp works (partialy...). as I said on my thread (locked by sys admin who care more about protecting infogames profits than our free speech)

for the sp only ptw isnt worth the price (no more than 10-15$) and until the mp is fixed you shouldn't buy it .wait till they finish making the repairs add 56k support and only then buy.

Good. Hold your breath for me, would you?
Old November 7, 2002, 06:54   #9
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Good. Hold your breath for me, would you?
THat was just mean
Old November 7, 2002, 09:03   #10
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

I bought it, and I love it!
I concur with NYE's comments

Second, I liked the new additions (now I can play a male Industrious/Commercial Civ ) Seriously, there are some quality additions.

Third, the AI appears to be improved over previous versions, even better than vanilla with 1.29f patch.

Finally, the MP option was cool, and I knew that I might occassionally want to dip into that capability, but for the most part I primarily play in SP mode.

Also worthy of note:
Purchasing the expantion is a vote of confidence and a prayer for future improvements. If no one bought the game or its expantions, then why would they ever waste their time on improvements or new editions???
Old November 7, 2002, 11:40   #11
KoalaBear33
Warlord

Re: I bought it, and I love it!
Quote:
Originally posted by WarriorPoet

Purchasing the expantion is a vote of confidence and a prayer for future improvements. If no one bought the game or its expantions, then why would they ever waste their time on improvements or new editions???
But if the game is buggy and sucks then buying the game will also tell the developers to keep doing the same thing...

KoalaBear33
Old November 7, 2002, 12:02   #12
Sandy
Settler

I dont know if this will produce a flame, but i have the pirated version to tide me over until its out here.

I have it on pre-order, and own all the civ games (apart from call to power 2 which i thought was a bit of a gimmick).

It has great potential, and the multiplayer is really good when it works. I am glad they put more effort into design this time.

Buy it, if your from UK you can preorder it for Ŗ17.99 from www.play.com. Thats very cheap.
Old November 7, 2002, 12:07   #13
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

I can appreciate your position Sandy. No fowl in the long run, as long as you do honestly purchase a legit copy.

Kuala...you are free to rant about a game, but I'm saying rant constructively and buy the game...if you just rant, then why would things ever get better?
Old November 7, 2002, 12:08   #14
Robber Baron
Prince

I held off from buying it for a few days, concerned about the mp problems.
But IMO the SP enhancements are well worth it, and I'm really enjoying the new candy (new units, new civs...)

I suppose people waiting for genuine MP have a right to be pissed off.
But frankly, when I think of all the hours of enjoyment I've gotten from this game for $50, I'm anticipating another $30 will be well worth it.

And, at the risk of re-igniting some flames, I am impressed with Firax's repeated patching. I feel like this company has proven it will take care of things.
Old November 7, 2002, 12:12   #15
Sandy
Settler

Another quick note, it works under the transgaming windows emulator (winex), if your using linux. http://www.transgaming.com
Old November 7, 2002, 12:19   #16
Sandy
Settler

In case anyone thinks im a scummy warez kiddy..
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	play.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	28691  
Old November 7, 2002, 13:44   #17
planetfall
Prince

Where's option 3?

It is way too early to tell. I only played a partial game. The extra buttons seem to be a bit much.

My problem is getting the game ready to play. So far I have too many unanswered questions.

If I can get:

1) manhattan as SW, and
2) me262, fw190 units working,

YES, if not, will have to see how it plays.
Curious to see what stealth range of 12 will do to game play.

-- PF
Old November 7, 2002, 14:50   #18
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Qualified Yes. The changes to SP are good (The AI is stronger, and the new features such as stack movement and auto-bombard make the game go much smoother). The new civs are cool. Also, the TONS of stuff included for scenarios (like the awesome WWII units) are worth it.

I haven't tried MP except Hotseat yet (Hotseat, naturally, works superbly), but have read enough to know that yes, there are problems, but they also seem to be trying to fix them as fast as possible.

There are some drawbacks, too. The lack of editing diplomacy for scenarios makes any realistic historical scenario impossible. How could one have WWII if the Brits aren't allied with the French and Russians and the Germans with the Italians and Japanese?

Also, there is very poor documentation for some of the changes. A perfect example is the new way of adding custom units (see another thread I made). It's cumbersome and not obvious at all for the average player, and Firaxis should have said something about the change and given detailed instructions. Even if they had, I feel the process is unneccessarily arduous and could have been handled better via the editor.

I hope a future patch addresses the diplomacy and unit adding issues. Still, even without them, PTW is a pretty good addition to the game. Whether or not it should have included many of its features in the initial release--thus making PTW's cost very unappealing--is a matter of debate, I suppose. I think, compared to some expansions, PTW isn't really worth the cost.
Old November 7, 2002, 15:33   #19
ACooper
Prince

Yes. definately. On SP I haven't experienced any problems. I haven't played multi-player yet, but, maybe this weekend.
Old November 7, 2002, 15:56   #20
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

I think it is definitely worth it. The new civs alone are worth the thirty bucks. But you also get new units, an improved AI, a more streamlined interface, a bunch of free extra scenario stuff, some new improvements and a new wonder, a bunch of great new game modes, some clever easter eggs, new tile graphics, and oh yeah, there's MP too.

Run out and get it immediately! It has to be amongst the top two or three best XPs ever!
Old November 7, 2002, 16:24   #21
Sandy
Settler

The multiplay looks very promising, they just need to fix it :-)
Old November 7, 2002, 20:08   #22
Switch
Prince

I play SP, and I think it was the second best game I've bought, next to civ3.

one word smiley describes my feelings.