Old January 11, 2001, 20:37   #31
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Carolus Rex on 01-11-2001 03:43 AM
Exactly my problem! I can keep up, but when it comes to finishing the other guy off, it just doesn't happen...
Carolus

wargaming principal # 7, when you have an opponent down, KICK him until he stops squirming.

------------------
Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
Pontificator Pendanticus
older richer & wiser than you
Old January 11, 2001, 20:39   #32
Smokey tha nuke man
Warlord

Local Time: 22:50
"unable to wag war" holy crap that must suck. war is fun . my hart bleeds for all those unable to wage war i'll nuke someone for ya mecantile.

oh yeah, i like to give certain civs different gov. techs, and, in tot's extended game, i give everyone a giant robot at the start (i like'em better than nukes!)but i never cheat to win. it's just not fun
[This message has been edited by Smokey tha nuke man (edited January 11, 2001).]
Old January 12, 2001, 04:41   #33
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola on 01-11-2001 07:37 PM
wargaming principal # 7, when you have an opponent down, KICK him until he stops squirming.

This comes only as number 7?!

Which are the other 6? And exactly how do you kick him? With the tip of the boot, the side or do you just stamp him with the heel?

Regarding space travels, I guess they're simply too sophisticated and difficult to comprehend for the mongolian hordes! Better sit firmly in that saddle, War4boys!

Carolus
Old January 12, 2001, 07:34   #34
Barington
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Marko_Polo
Could someone kindly offer me some tips what I should do differently? And for that cheating question, what's your way?

I also went a long time trying to win at Deity on the large map with raging hordes and seven civs.
I used to always go for the Hanging Gardens to solve this problem although now I prefer to use temples with entertainers when neccessary until Michelangelos is available. Anyway I find one or the other is almost essential.
A few tips for the early part of the game that got me past the ‘can’t win at Deity’ stage whatever the strategy are:
· Use a few moves to get those first couple of cities in the best place.
· Build a few roads straight away and keep building them in all populated squares as soon as possbe.
· Go to Monarchy as soon as you can.
· Open a hut or two before you build a city to get a NONE unit or two to explore and open as many other huts as possible. Preferably in the vicinity of another civ so any units you get are also NONE and the Barbs are on someone else’s doorstep.
· Set traps for Barb leaders with two move units. You can soon tell where the barbs repeatedly appear.
· Buy enemy cities early on with the proceeds if possible. Move your capital to make this cheaper if necessary and send the dip in from the side nearest your capital.
· Don’t forget to keep demanding tribute unless you are very vulnerable. This also helps with the above.
· Build cities on hills for defence when possible.
· Build near huts before you open them if you can; no barbs.
· Open huts with the first move of a two move unit; it might escape or attack a single barb.
· Send a trireme as soon as you get them with a dip around all coasts to pick of huts near the shore. With any luck you get little colonies across the map; very useful later.
· None of these are new of course and they dont all directly relate to the happiness problem; but together I find they can help to give an early edge against all the AI’s production advantages at Diety.
Richard

Old January 12, 2001, 08:36   #35
Marko_Polo

First, thanks to all who have gave me tips to win at deity! I really appreciate to see over 30 replys to the thread I started

I'm about to finish my very first deity/raging game and I didn't use the save/load-cheat! Last time I played was as emperor and used save/load cheat to an excess to see how high I could get my score (was about 13200) I only loaded when I wanted to try different strategy for learning purpose. For example, I found out that building Mike's INCREASED my UNHAPPINESS problem severely!!! No joking! I'll explain it later So I had to load and build SoL instead.

I started with a small random map, medium land masses as continent (I got two continents in my game) and 7 civs. I very successfully utilized Dave's Infinite City Strategy. Now the year is 1160 AD and there is only one English city left which I'll bribe when my dip reaches it. My only improvements (granary, temple, colosseum and library and now building university) are in my capital. Then I got Copernicus and Colossus there. Other wonders are HG, Mike's and Leo. Captured wonders are Pyramids, Lighthouse and GL (all that AI managed to build). I changed to commie when I got the statue and after discovering leadership I changed to fundy. I have over 70 cities now.

I don't know if anyone has discovered this but by the time I got 26 2-sized cities and got bored of random cities rioting and moving warriors in and out of cities to make them content again I made this invention. By moving ALL military units away from the city and having the HG ALWAYS makes the first of the two original black pirates to a happy one. This is enough to keep the city content and not rioting. One happy and one black face, it's kinda funny to see them together If the city grew to 3 I just turned the third into entertainer and in many cases the city began to celebrate (!!) and I got the trade benefits of republic.

This worked very well until I built the Mike's. I suffered from severe riots as typically my 1. citizen turned into content and second red. Only after I turned into commie I put all the units back to the city (they were standing around my cities to protect them from barbs) so I could enjoy the double martial law. Then building Mike's was a good idea!

I was quite amazed to see how much I could achieve with my 2-sized cities.. I typically build a lot of warriors so that I could get musketeers with Leo. I also found out that after discovering gun powder I still could produce warriors in the cities which were already building them if I didn't change the production. I rush-bought them all the time and managed to get a huge musketeer army to conquer to world. It was so fun to load a ship full or warriors and when they landed on the enemy coast they were all musketeers Only after I discovered feudalism I lost the ability to build warriors because of the automatic production update to pikemen.

The game without improvements is totally different than any civ game I've played before and it was fun to play! Thanks Dave for your ICS-manual! It's also much more exiting and fun playing when not using save/load-cheat!

Should I try to win deity next with a bigger map? I think that would be harder. Then landing AC might be easier win than conquering the whole world?
[This message has been edited by Marko_Polo (edited January 12, 2001).]

Old January 12, 2001, 10:05   #36
East Street Trader
Prince

Good work, Marko!

Another Apolytoner arrives in the halls of Mt. Olympos.

The happy face/black hat sounds intriguing. Guess I'll have to mock up some size twos over the week end to try to figure out what's going on.

I guess that a paratrooper would be a rare bird in an ICS game so empty cities in the midst of the sprawl would hardly matter.
Old January 12, 2001, 10:12   #37
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Marko_Polo - well done! It is very satisfying to win for the first time at Deity!
Barrington - a small correction to your otherwise excellent advice, Bribe a city from the side furthest from their capital (not nearest to yours as you write) For full details see the thread Info: Diplomats and Spies in the Civ2/General forum ...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited January 12, 2001).]
Old January 12, 2001, 15:17   #38
JimH
Settler

Marko, Awesome job! Makes me want to go out and emulate your success. I've played the OCC (was forced to retire), micromanaging (pain in the ass) and expansionist (not ICS - I improve my cities).

I tried the ICS last night but these RAGING BARBARIANS keep picking off my poor GREEN phalanx(es) and my cities keep turning red.

I haven't made it past Emperor yet, but I have my fingers crossed!

Hmmm.. 3-day weekend coming up. Think of the possibilities.
Old January 12, 2001, 18:10   #39
Marko_Polo

Thanks EST, Gits & Jim! I'm impressed that CIV2 still intriques so many of us CIVfanatics! It's a game that allows you to adopt infinite different strategies to win. I simply love it!

Jim, good luck for your next deity game! Barbs didn't bother me so much because I built so many cities and they only appear from empty spaces, except pirates. Actually I hoped more of them because of the 150 leader capture bonus. You never can have too much money, can you? (At least at the early stages of the game)

I conquered most cities with musketeers and diplos. I fortified my musketeer to the rough terrain (especially mines so that AI couln't use them) around the city one per tile and let AI attack them and lose his units. I isolated the city from the rest of enemy empire to stop him sendind more troops. If there were city walls I sabotaged them first. Usually that would take 1-3 dips. Then my musketeer was good enough to kill phalanxes/archers.

If the city size dropped to 1 I just bribed it for a very low price. Sometimes I would approach a city with say two musketeers and a dip, attack it twice to drop the size of the city so that I could buy it for a lower price. Then I sold the improvements to get more money.

OK, enough of my strategy.. good luck to all you civers and have a nice weekend!

Old January 12, 2001, 20:46   #40
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:50
Mr. Rex....... my most comfortable position is in the saddle I tried to make that spaceship fly.... but if you have ever seen the "far sides" cartoon of the cows and their rocket ship....... thats about how far my Hordes have progressed

However..... we have grasped nucleur technology I would personally be more than happy to give you a demonstration

Bohlen and Gits...... thanks for remembering the evil that lurks in the bowels of Apolyton
Old January 15, 2001, 02:03   #41
ajli@home
Chieftain

Actually on an island you'd be surprised how strong you are. Make sure to get map making before 500 bc though 'cause you'll really need it. Fuel a bunch of settlers across the other side of the "ocean" or river, and set up a bunch of colonies by the coast. Keep doing this until you have practically colonized all areas around this place. The thing is, is that you have incredible mobility being able to ship units from the homeland, which is very safe, to the colonies where you can wage war on people. If you live very far away from land, that a save/load trieme couldn't sail to , then you had better develop the place you are in by not building aquaducts and finishing most of the wonders, then get the caravan. Once you get the caravan you had better be shipping setterls and troops out quickly or you will lose/not be able to win before 2020.