Old November 7, 2002, 22:56   #1
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 04:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Group essay: A new story-writing idea
So, one steamthunk has posted this in my story thread:
Quote:
Originally posted by steamthunk:
<...> maybe we should start a thread where someone comes up with a premise and some characters and we choose characters to write about. This would solve everyone's <...> fascination with wanting to alter stories!
I really think it's a great idea. We've seen plenty of stories that an author has started and never finished because he got bored. And yet, the original idea might have been great. It's always sad to see stories die unfinished like that. Especially good ones. Besides, I know that sometimes the authors run out of ideas, and suggestions from the readers are great.

Now, if we have several writers, most of those problems will be solved!

With minor modifications, the idea would be kind of like a NES:
  • One person comes up with a premise.
  • That same person might come up with characters.
  • Then, several writers join the 'team', and altogether the people get writing.

Of course, it will not be a NES in that:[list=1][*]It will actually have an end![*]Even though it will not be based on an actual game (it might be based on an imaginary game, though), the co-authors don't have to assume the roles of the rulers of certain nations.[*]It will be more of fiction, kind of like most of the stories here nowadays, rather than pure 'politics'.[/list=1]

That's the idea. Now, for the implementation. Here is what I think would work:
For each story, the author of the original idea posts two threads. In thread one, he describes the general idea of the story (not necessarily giving out the plot), and some of the characters. Then, a team is formed. (Either by PM'ing the author, or by posting in that very thread.) Although that is not necessary. Consequently, the author posts an introduction to the story. From then on, all of the team members are free to contribute ideas or even chunks of text to the story. After each chapter posted in the thread by each of the co-authors (or rather: by whomever of them would like to contribute), the people (both readers and writers) decide which one was the best.

Once it is chosen, the second thread comes in. There, only the chosen chapters will be posted (in order to avoid clutter, which will be inevitable in the 'draft' thread).

Of course, if at some point the original author decides he is tired of the story and drops out, it doesn't really matter any more, because all of the co-writers are on equal terms when it comes to creating that story.

What do you folks think? Is this idea worth going ahead with? Steamthunk, since this is your original idea, would you like to maybe add something to what I posted? Or maybe do something differently?

Post you feedback, guys and gals.
Spore page
Old November 7, 2002, 23:52   #2
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 19:38
kinduv cool idea. It's a good idea to screen entries like you mentioned to keep things from getting out of hand and ruining the story. I also think the writers involved should be restricted to only people who are active contributors to this forum (ie: no NES writers please). This would include vovansim, ChrisiusMaximus, Verto, bassman, History Guy, and Guitardude to mention a few.

Also, I think a group story might need a DM (someone who is like a neutral leader who controls the parameters and solves disagreements between writers).

The best type of story may be an adventure story, or at least some kind of dramatic drama with no politics involved.
Old November 8, 2002, 01:00   #3
gooberboob
Civilization II PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMNever Ending Stories
Warlord

I would like to be included, I'm more of a NES writer, but the main thing I want is feedback, and NESes guarantee feedback, whereas stories are hit and miss.
Old November 8, 2002, 02:20   #4
steamthunk
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:38
Geezz people...you're not supposed to take me seriously....that's messing with forces beyond your control....!

In the now-you've-done-it-department:

Agree with this not being an NES. While the NESs here take an interesting tack by having people be a ruler, they are by and large IMHO not that entertaining to read as a story.

I really like the dual thread idea, but I'd like to figure out some way of getting everyone's submission recognized in some form. After all, each contributor did take the time to come up with something that they thought was interesting. Perhaps the alternates could be posted in the official thread as well, but as links to some web space instead of being directly so that all readers had the option of following each author's piece. Did we imagine voting involved with deciding the "official" segments?

I think the person who comes up with the original story idea should have the first rights to being moderator. If they leave someone else can take over.

I also agree that authors need to formally be part of the team to have their segments officially considered. However, we want to encourage new writers too so if a new writer decides they want to jump in maybe they can do so if the majority of the team members agree?

Disagreements should be few though if all team members agree to a simple rule. The Director (what I'm calling the person with the original story premise) comes up with a scene and major characters. He/She then posts in the draft thread in as much detail as they see fit a summary of the scene and its outcome. The scene should probably be kept general enough that authors have a chance to be creative. All the participating authors are then allowed to write the scene as they see fit provided they arrive at the outcome specified by the Director. The Director is allowed to submit a written scene too. The Director can do things like specify maximum word counts and name other rules as necessary.

In this way, the participating authors also get some entertainment because they don't know how the scenes fit together beforehand (not to mention seeing how others interpret the same scene). Only the Director knows the whole story (but even then maybe it evolves).

A good Director is responsible for keeping things as coherent as possible while taking in as many suggestions in the draft thread (if any). While Director's have final say in the story direction, it is obviously to their advantage to come up with scenes that are interesting for the authors if the story is to be a success.

That's my suggestion. What do people think?
Old November 8, 2002, 02:48   #5
steamthunk
Chieftain

So a scene as described in my previous response might be like this:

Medieval times.
Zulu occupied Paris.
Night.

Steamthunk, Vovansim, and Chrisius - three of France's finest musketeers (yeah yeah I know) - break into the Zulu warlord's headquarters in order to free the mysterious English pirate Unscratchedfoot. On this savy pirate can run the blockade surrounding Paris.

Requirements:
Some description of the war.
Minor sneaky fighting only so the hq isn't alerted.
Unscratchedfoot, only known to the musketeers through rumour, turns out to be a woman!
At least one musketeer and the pirate must escape.
Old November 8, 2002, 02:57   #6
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 11:38
It sounds good and well worth a try, although I dont think Id have the time to coordinate one of these I would most likely contribute.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 8, 2002, 13:10   #7
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Hey! I'll join in, if you like.
Old November 8, 2002, 13:29   #8
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

vovansim I would be willing to let mikes story be used for this after I have finished it, I was thinking of doing a sequel to it sooner or later but Ive now got other ideas I want to pursue.

My main problem would be coordinating it as Ive got to much to do as it is, it might sound like a cop out but I run my own business, have four kids, run a scout troop and of course write stories. Oops forgot to mention show attention to my wife, yes can find time to fit that in.

The advantage of this is that the characters already exist and there is plenty of scope for world events to change especially where the Iroquois are concerned and Im sure scratch would love to get his chance to join the Pirates!!

I should be finished by early next week so if you or maybe steamthunk would be prepared to sort it Id be only to pleased.

I dont mind if you dont like this idea, dont feel youve got to do it, its just an idea and the offer is there if you want it. I will definitely be wanting to write bits for this or any other set of characters and plot you decide to go with.

I think this could work, there is quite a few people who are regulary contributing to this forum now after the summer lull, and the nes's have been moved hooray!

This idea will hopefully be joined by likeminded dramatic writers, I think if we try a comical story it should be set by the director as to whether a particular story allows comedy, history, sci fi etc etc.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 8, 2002, 14:56   #9
gooberboob
Civilization II PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMNever Ending Stories
Warlord

Gotta have a comedic twist so that Metaliturtle and I can contribute
Old November 8, 2002, 15:09   #10
steamthunk
Chieftain

Well it looks like several people are interested in trying this which is good. The nice thing is that if you don't have time to write you don't have to do so! Someone might need to start a vote and someone will need to be in charge of cutting and pasting to another thread about once a week, but overall I think it's pretty low overhead.

Unless otherwise stated I would imagine people could write each scene in any fashion they saw fit (e.g. funny, serious, bloody, weird) as long as the overall outcomes were the same.
Old November 10, 2002, 08:56   #11
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Ive just completed Mikes Story vovan so its all yours if you want to use it for this idea. I know Scratch has got some ideas for a sequel so you might want to speak to him about it