Old November 7, 2002, 23:19   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Lux Invicta Logo and Icon
Here's the current logo candidate.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	nervlogo.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	28759  
Old November 7, 2002, 23:20   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

And here's the first test canddiate for our 15x19 pixel logo that we'll all have under our avatars/names/etc.

Check out candidate 2 a little further down...
Attached Images:

Last edited by Jon Shafer; November 7, 2002 at 23:46.
Old November 7, 2002, 23:23   #3
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:38
Shouldn't the small logo match (at least a bit) the big one ? It's pretty sad the small logo doesn't have any red at all, while it's the main characteristics of the big one...

On a more constructive sidenote, the LI on the small logo could be more distinct, it's currently uneasy to read them... Maybe another color (red, and we have it) would make things clearer
Old November 7, 2002, 23:29   #4
Jon Shafer

I know I know, I'm working on it, they're both test candidates.
Old November 7, 2002, 23:32   #5
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Somebody has been watching Eva lately. How long did it take to switch NERV into LIDG?

OK, nough teasing. Anybody see the two newly released episodes on DVD yet? I guess they are to replace the last two episodes. I will probably pick them up this weekend to complete my collection (again).

Is the big logo to be used simply as an in house thing, or was markG going to use it for something? I thought he only wanted the small logo. To be honest, I cannot even make out what yours (small one) is saying, if anything. I was thinking it should, due to size, probably be only geometric like. Box with circle in it. Two triangles - hour glase shape like. something like that, with only 1 or two colours.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 7, 2002, 23:42   #6
Jon Shafer

Ixnay made that picture, you'll have to ask him how long it took to make it.

I've seen the Japanese version of End of Evangelion, and it was quite excellent (at least the quality of the show, probably more so). Haven't seen the dub version, but I imagine it's good as well. At least they got the last line correct in the movie (those who've seen it will know what I mean).

Okay, here's 15x19 icon candidate 2. Much more polished.
Attached Images:

Old November 7, 2002, 23:46   #7
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Version two is legable. You can see the LI. Still not terrably clear unless you know to look for it however. What is in the background, just the shadow effect and what... two comets? Hard to make it out.

--Con
Old November 7, 2002, 23:47   #8
Spiffor

I think it's the earth, with a Brazil-centred view.
(ok, I knew it before the LI was inscribed on it )

OT : I preferred the original end of Evangelion. I know I belong to a very small minority (oh gaosh, I think I've created a huge OT topic )
Old November 7, 2002, 23:48   #9
Jon Shafer

It's a black-red-white "LI" on top of a small image of the Earth.

Cut me some slack here, I only had 15 pixels wide to work with.
Old November 7, 2002, 23:52   #10
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I think it's the earth, with a Brazil-centred view.
(ok, I knew it before the LI was inscribed on it )

OT : I preferred the original end of Evangelion. I know I belong to a very small minority (oh gaosh, I think I've created a huge OT topic )
You have to see them both to fully understand the show. Watching them both makes you go 'ahhhhhhhh I get it'.

But anyways, take that to another thread. This is for our logo and icon!
Old November 7, 2002, 23:53   #11
GodKing
Emperor

Just trying to be helpfull. Not only for you, but when we get around to making ours up.

Eva... we can go on all day about it. NGE is in some opinions the best anime series of the past decade. I personally prefer the movies, not the series. Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Princess Moni..... enough. We will probably have Ming kick us into OT if we keep talking Anime. Oh well.

Good job Trip with the small size you had to work with.

--Con
Old November 7, 2002, 23:59   #12
Jon Shafer

Tsch, Akira stinks.

NGE and Trigun are my favorite recent ones, with Bebop closely behind.

But yes, let us try to avoid the wrath of Ming, I know for certain he's lurking because he changed the thread name.
Old November 8, 2002, 00:00   #13
Spiffor

[Excuse to post something on topic]
Well, if you make the colors of the Earth brighter, we'll probably more see what it represents [/Excuse to post something on topic]

[outrageously off topic]
Cowboy Bebop is also probably a very solid Anime... But as Toastyfrog said, it is probably the worst thing that has ever happened to anime
About Princess Mononoke, please write it correctly, I'm a bit intolerant when people take liberties with my favorite movie of all time, you know my fundamentalist side
[/outrageously off topic]
Old November 8, 2002, 00:01   #14
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:38
Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
OK, nough teasing. Anybody see the two newly released episodes on DVD yet? I guess they are to replace the last two episodes. I will probably pick them up this weekend to complete my collection (again).
I have the two new DVDs (Death & Rebirth and End).

Both are great. I don't mind the dubs. Pick them up as soon as you can. Watch End a few times too. You probably won't be able to understand it after only one watch. Maybe you'll be able to understand it a little better than Kass, MWIA, Trip, or me though.

Trip thinks he understands (kinda) it, but there is much be probably doesn't know
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old November 8, 2002, 00:06   #15
Jon Shafer

I get the gist of it, but then again, there's things about Eva that even Anno doesn't know.

I'll try the lightening bit.
Old November 8, 2002, 00:10   #16
Jon Shafer

Candidate 3:
Attached Images:

Old November 8, 2002, 00:10   #17
Spiffor

You might be interested with this site. I don't know if it's entirely translated into English or not, but the site is pretty old (about 4 years), so I think everything is complete there.
[EditEditEdit] Nevermind, I was on the English part, and the interesting pages are missing. If you speak French well, I still suggest you take a look[EditEditEdit Gaosh I love editing messages ]
It's the site of the French translator of the series, which was broadcasted here 3 or 4 years ago. His views are rather extreme on the ending movie, but otherwise his analysis is extremely interesting.

On topic :
Trip, what do you think of brightening the earth' colours ?
Edit : The On-topic part is completely irrelevant now
EditEdit : I find candidate 3 the best. I don't have anything more to say, so we can completely plunge this topic into anime

Last edited by Spiffor; November 8, 2002 at 02:40.
Old November 8, 2002, 02:19   #18
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
I have the two new DVDs (Death & Rebirth and End).

Both are great. I don't mind the dubs. Pick them up as soon as you can. Watch End a few times too. You probably won't be able to understand it after only one watch. Maybe you'll be able to understand it a little better than Kass, MWIA, Trip, or me though.

Trip thinks he understands (kinda) it, but there is much be probably doesn't know
Evangelion was a fantastic twist to the old overdone concept of "Jr High kids are the only ones who can pilot giant robots and save the world" and turning it on it's head with a bunch of f'ed up characters who were equally miserable, and then making the robots frighteningly dangerous living beings. One of the characters said it best:
Quote:
The tragedy of NERV is the people
ANYHOW, I got into the show as it got darker and richer, and more mysterious, only to be horribly cheated by a lousey ending in which either Shinji spends an hour being a manic-depressive moron in a dream world before he decides he want to live. OR the world ends, everyone dies, and then the world is reborn and Shinji is stuck with Aska who he chokes ... lovingly?

Frankly, I wanted to choke her so many times, I almost applauded.

OK. End rant. Trigun = loved it. Lain = adore it. FLCL = worship it like was given to us by God himself.

And thus ends one of the longest off-topic rants I hope to ever produce.

Sorry guys. Good luck with your logo & stuff.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old November 8, 2002, 02:31   #19
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:38
It didn't really take me too long to make that logo; the longest amount of time was spent font-matching. It looks like the jpeg you have up there lost quite a bit of the quality, so I'll attatch the original one. Oh, and if you want me to change the small text (God's in his heaven all's right with the world), just let me know and I can change it to whatever the heck we want for a slogan.

I've got the NGE boxset and I really enjoy it. I d/led End of Eva before it was released here and liked that a lot, but after I heard some of the stories about Manga's release of it I held off on picking it up, though I'll probably get it in the next couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	nervdglogo.gif
Views:	50
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	28780  
Old November 8, 2002, 02:38   #20
Spiffor

I've read Anno didn't take part in the manga, so I fear it loses Evangelion's original appeal (that is, completely fùcked up characters).

ABout the motto : maybe something like "and everything shall be written in blood", what do you think ?
Old November 8, 2002, 11:30   #21
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I've read Anno didn't take part in the manga, so I fear it loses Evangelion's original appeal (that is, completely fùcked up characters).

ABout the motto : maybe something like "and everything shall be written in blood", what do you think ?
The manga came after Anno's anime. One of the few instances.

Since no one's complained about the icon I'm going to go ahead and submit it in Markos' icon thread. He should be able to change it later in case anyone has any whines.
Old November 8, 2002, 12:39   #22
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

I like the logo
I have no idea how it relates
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 8, 2002, 13:02   #23
Jon Shafer

You'd have to have seen Evangelion to know.
Old November 8, 2002, 13:12   #24
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

sounds like a poor man's Akira from what I dug up ...
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 8, 2002, 13:28   #25
Jon Shafer

Tsch, Akira is a poor man's Eva.
(For those who can only afford 1 DVD and not 8 )
Old November 8, 2002, 16:24   #26
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

It's not really that legible, but here's a 15x19 version of the logo I made. Personally, I like it, but we'll see how everyone else reacts:
Attached Images:

Old November 8, 2002, 16:31   #27
Jon Shafer

I like it too. The whole red and black thing is much more foreboding than the one I came up with.
Old November 8, 2002, 19:14   #28
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:38
I like ixnay's tiny logo better than the tiny planet one.

I don't see how you can compare Eva and Akira at all.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old November 8, 2002, 19:57   #29
Spiffor

I also like Ixnay's logo better (well, more red ). Sure the LI is not as legible as in Trip's logo, but the shape is immediately recognizable, which is what matters in a logo.

About Eva and Akira : the only common thing I see is the fighting between powerful entities which brings a load of destruction. The rest is completely different (heck, even Dual or Hokuto no Ken are comparable to Eva if we go in this direction )
Old November 9, 2002, 06:15   #30
Jon Shafer

Ixnay, maybe you can customize the circular text around the bottom for LI. Maybe, "Lux Invicta supreme all's right with the world", or something like that.