Old November 8, 2002, 01:49   #1
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 18:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Black and White 2?
Good lord, this is positive proof that there's no justice.
Old November 8, 2002, 01:55   #2
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
If they improve what was bad about the first, it could be a great game.
Old November 8, 2002, 02:09   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:39
I read a preview of this, and it sounds like it might offer significant improvements. But I'd be cautious about it.
Old November 8, 2002, 02:42   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
I never played the first one, mostly because raising a cuddly cute little avatar sounded too much like The Sims.

2 may offer more of a Populous feel, which I like.
Old November 8, 2002, 07:04   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
To justify the title, the pet has got to stay a fairly core part of the design. Since I got sick of the stupid thing after about an hour I learned two things:
1. I shouldn't try and housetrain puppies.
2. I shouldn't dream of buying any game even loosely connected with the B&W genre
Now if Molyneaux starts writing a new Populous style game I'll perk my ears up and start listening....
Old November 8, 2002, 19:48   #6
pg
Prince

Local Time: 05:39
it almost sounds like they are doing what i wanted. check out this link to a post i wrote a long time ago about b&w.
sadly, i don't even think they will have everything i suggested for a mod of the original b&w. i really don't have any faith in lionhead after b&w. of course their gfx were great and will probably get better.
Old November 8, 2002, 20:43   #7
tniem
King

I was one of those that quickly bought B&W following give it a try at a friend's house for a few minutes. I bored of it very early in the game. I never really got in to it. I just can't see this game being as successful since many of those that purchased the first one, found it boring.
Old November 8, 2002, 22:03   #8
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:39
...Well, at least the game improved AI and offered valuable psychological insights... even if it wasn't really a 'game'

At least it was innovative

The next step from The Sims
Old November 8, 2002, 22:49   #9
Urban Ranger
Deity

They must have made enough money from the first one to get the funny idea of a sequel.

But, what about feedbacks? There have to be lots of negative feedbacks out there.

I think I will save my money for SimCity 4.
Old November 9, 2002, 16:40   #10
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
I think I will save my money for SimCity 4.
Agreed. That game will definitely get my money sooner. B&W2 probably wouldn't even be worth the download after the first game. But if it has more to do with big battles led by the gods it might be more fun. That, however, is a big might.
Old November 9, 2002, 17:35   #11
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
The only thing I liked about Black and White was smashing up that ape and flinging people across the screen. That bored me quickly however. I will not buy B&W 2 even if it is "improved".
Old November 9, 2002, 18:33   #12
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
They must have made enough money from the first one to get the funny idea of a sequel.
It was the 11th or 12th best selling game of the year

I just wish that less games were going 3D... very few play better as 3D...

The only 3D game that I like and own is Empire Earth... and even then, most of its 3D capabilities are useless 'ex- the zoom' ... but they are fun sometimes... 3D is unnecessary
Old November 9, 2002, 23:45   #13
Urban Ranger
Deity

You're right, 3D rarely is necessary: 2 1/2 D is all that is needed most of the time. It just screws up the controls (like in Panzer General 3D).
Old November 12, 2002, 23:40   #14
DarkCloud
staff

...And rotation, if misimplemented, can prove worse for par... Frankly, I think that most people, with 3D games, set their vision at one level for 95% of the game time and only use the other 5% when necessary... and for the games where you have to constantly shift your mouse so that you can rotate around structures... that just screws up the game's pacing and introduces tedium.

Thank you for your support Urban Ranger- I thought I was but a lone voice calling out in the wilderness