Old November 12, 2002, 01:22   #61
be0wulfe
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
... Civ3 PtW if were called "Civ3 better AI"? ...
Not that you said this directly, but for the record, I'm calling bullshit on improved AI. I read in a chat log claims by Firaxis that the AI did not cheat, outside of seeing the whole map at all times. Cowpie! Unbalanced trading, you vs them (even if the Aztecs have broken more treaties that you) ... need I go on?
Old November 12, 2002, 03:03   #62
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Huzurdaddi

Ok, I'll call bullshit on that.

How many people do you think would have bought Civ3 PtW if were called "Civ3 better AI"?

Do you think the sales would have been lower?

I'll give you my opinion: of course you dip ****. Their sales would have been pathetic. By adding the mystical works multiplayer they got far more coverage and buzz.

Here at work a few people came by to say, "hey did you hear that Civ3 is getting multiplayer, maybe we should all go out and get it."

If it was called "Civ3 good AI" I don't think that anyone would have raised an eyebrow at work.

They knew this. So they lied. Pure and simple. They said that they had multiplayer on the box, and it simply does not work. They figured that they could pay off some sites (*cough* like gamesdomain) and get away with it. Thank gosh there are sites like gamespot out there.
Proving once again that your opinion is worth less than the bits that store it, aren't you?

For your information son, there are a h*ll of a lot more SP civ players than MP civ players.

1,000,000 plus copies of SP civ. Chomp on it champ.

Now run along and play in your cess pool. We don't need your kind of trash around here.

Last edited by notyoueither; November 12, 2002 at 03:12.
Old November 12, 2002, 03:06   #63
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by be0wulfe

Not that you said this directly, but for the record, I'm calling bullshit on improved AI. I read in a chat log claims by Firaxis that the AI did not cheat, outside of seeing the whole map at all times. Cowpie! Unbalanced trading, you vs them (even if the Aztecs have broken more treaties that you) ... need I go on?
I make the AI dance my tune, still.
Old November 12, 2002, 03:09   #64
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Artifex
I bought it at CompUSA tonigth for $20 bucks. I know its not the most awe inspiring expansion. But honestly I think $20 bucks is a fair price to pay for the new additions in single player alone. That's pretty cheap for an expansion.

If they get Multi to work it will be an added bonus.

BTW when is a patch coming out and whne do you think multi will be playable?

Also, where is a good place to go find games for multi?
Here, here!

A little patience and you shall have your MP 'perfected'. In the meantime, there are ways to have good INet MP games. [Edited]

Last edited by notyoueither; November 12, 2002 at 05:04.
Old November 12, 2002, 05:33   #65
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

I stopped reading reviews a while back because I wasn't seeing too many negative reviews of games that deserved to get them (I am not saying that PtW falls in this category). After all, how likely is a company going to be spending ad money at your site/magazine if you just blasted their new game? It only took one game to change my mind about the reliability of a positive game review. I now visit fan sites to check out a new game. I read responses from both sides before I make a decision on a new game; and I pay heavy attention to people that I know will give me a reliable report on the game before I decide yes or no on a game. A lot of other people, even diehard fans, still place stock in gaming reviews.

As to being on a tight budget, many of us are. I make good money, but have a lot of necessary (i.e., medical, school, etc) expenses. So, while $30 US may not seem like a lot to you; to many of us it is. Not everyone can afford a new game a week (or three, like a friend of mine buys) or computer upgrades to deal with the new games coming out (more RAM, more HD, another Video Card).
Old November 12, 2002, 05:42   #66
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 11:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Wow 2.56 MHz Im jealous
I'm not. Even my old 80286 back in 1990 was a lot faster. It had 16 MHz.
Old November 12, 2002, 09:15   #67
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 12:42
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Casual gamers who bought and liked Civ3 are likely to buy PTW simply for SP imrovements and the ability to hotseat or LAN with a buddy. If they are in the store shopping and see it. Not everyone needs to budget money closely.
Key word: casual gamer who likes LAN or Hotseat.

If he is not interested in that and see that gamespot srticle, he would probably not buy in.

On the other hand if we likes Civ3 VERY much, he is not longer "a casual gamer".

Because without doubt PtW is IMPROVENT over Civ3.

There is only a question is it worth 30$ or not.

Simple as that.

For me it defenitely is.
Old November 12, 2002, 09:36   #68
Stuie
King

Local Time: 06:42
It seems to boil down to:

MP Fans: wait and see if it gets patched properly.

SP Fans: go buy it - now. (CompUSA - $19.99; Amazon - $24.95)

Non-Fans: Pass.
Old November 12, 2002, 10:44   #69
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 05:42
Stuie, that's true, if you weren't a fan of Civ3 in the first place, there is nothing in PTW that would change your mind.
Old November 12, 2002, 13:01   #70
Stuie
King

Local Time: 06:42
Unfortunately, bad MP resulting in bad press could equate to bad sales which in turn will lead to no more expansion packs. That would be a shame because I think there's a lot more they could do with the SP game.

At this point we'll probably get patched MP thrown together with the original game in a "Gold" edition that includes a smattering of other new features, and then it will be on to some other project for Firaxis.
Old November 12, 2002, 15:25   #71
Huzurdaddi
Settler

Local Time: 10:42
Quote:
Proving once again that your opinion is worth less than the bits that store it, aren't you?

For your information son, there are a h*ll of a lot more SP civ players than MP civ players.

1,000,000 plus copies of SP civ. Chomp on it champ.

Now run along and play in your cess pool. We don't need your kind of trash around here.
Blow me. How about you call it "Civ3 Gold" and see how it does in sales, champ? Mark down on the box prominently that it supports "improved AI" and "new Civs" and "bug fixes."

The compare the sales to that game to one that is called "Civ PtW," champ, pal, buddy.

It's called big dishonest. It's called false advertising.

Sure, sure YOU bought it since you love civ and will pay any amount for anything released by fraxis. Fine. The majority of their sales do not come from such people. Heck they would do direct sales if that were the case. It's not. They lied. Period.
Old November 13, 2002, 00:16   #72
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 03:42
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I thought most of the people round these parts decided to wait for the word of the players. Maybe not...

The word is wait, if you want only INet MP and are not a fanatic. There. That was an honest review. Mark should post it on page 1.
Na-Na! I waited and the rest of you didn't!

Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 13, 2002, 00:18   #73
notyoueither
Deity

I didn't have to wait at all.

Still bought one.
Old November 13, 2002, 01:19   #74
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Huzurdaddi

Blow me. How about you call it "Civ3 Gold" and see how it does in sales, champ? Mark down on the box prominently that it supports "improved AI" and "new Civs" and "bug fixes."

The compare the sales to that game to one that is called "Civ PtW," champ, pal, buddy.

It's called big dishonest. It's called false advertising.

Sure, sure YOU bought it since you love civ and will pay any amount for anything released by fraxis. Fine. The majority of their sales do not come from such people. Heck they would do direct sales if that were the case. It's not. They lied. Period.
You really are a crud, you know that? 'Blow me'. That's got things off to a good start hasn't it.

Tell you what, why don't you run home to mommy and fetch your soother. It will help more to alleviate your tantrum than anything I could, or would, say.

If I had a dime for every time I heard about a computer product having problems with core functions on release I'd be rich. I'm not doing to badly as it is, but those extra dimes would come in handy.

So why don't you and the rest of the crude scuz thats crept into this forum to throw your tantrums just pack it. I ain't interested in your ill mannered, ill conceived expressions and I doubt many of the other regulars are either.