Old November 8, 2002, 23:25   #1
neotek
Settler

Local Time: 10:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
GAMESPOT is right about PTW
The new review by GAMESPOT of play the world expressed exactly how I feel regarding the multiplayer fiasco.

It is a horrid lagfest that almost makes me wonder if they even tested the game on any modems or even on the Internet at all. I've heard it works nicely on LAN but lets face it most customers weren't buying the game to play on a LAN and hence this is disappointing.

I just hope the new patch that's said to be fixing this a bit comes out soon or at least some news about it?

It's interesting that the Firaxis guys have not been on these boards anymore posting or anything ever since PTW was released, and were it not for 1 guy (jeff morris) at one chat we would have heard nothing so far on these issues.

I know, I know some of you will want to reply and say oh well they are busy probably working on the patch, no time to respond or post. Well please! All it takes is 5 minutes or less to post something up and say hey guys we know there are some problems and we are progressing with the patch, etc don't worry it will be out soon, etc ,etc something along those lines.

If you visit the chat lobbies err game lobbies lately you will find the angriest venomous people feeling very ripped off by this PTW 'product' it is a festering hatred unlike anything I've ever seen directed toward a game or its developers.

Probably all would be averted if we heard a little more from Firaxis.

Neotek
Old November 8, 2002, 23:32   #2
Tuberski

Local Time: 05:42
So, basically, the Gamespot article just gives another reason to rant about the same things that have already been beaten to death?

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old November 9, 2002, 00:09   #3
neotek
Settler

Hey
Hey there,

I've hardly posted on these forums though I read them all the time... I feel that what you term 'rant' is simply an opinion of mine which does not slant positively.

If you feel someone else has made similar views know that is their perogative, but this is the first time *I* post about it and it is people with disenting or critical yet constructive statements who sometimes help drive a company to give us in the gaming community a better product and better support.

I feel that very often on these boards even if someone posts a different opinion or says they don't like something without resorting to curses or name-calling etc they still get instantly attacked for 'ranting' or being generally put down. Some threads are even locked, which at this point is like trying to patch up holes in a leaky and sinking boat.

Can I just state my view and maybe those who see merit in it can respond or add their own take without fear of being slammed on by defenders of almighty firaxis.

If you don't like reading 'rants' which this wasn't even close to one (i just read the gamespot review and was responding to its merit) then if you see this subject which said they were right why even read it? Just don't read it.

I think many things are good in the game but this topic was specifically about the gamespot review and the multiplayer.

Finally in some tiny way it is my hope that by discussing the things that still need to be fixed or asking when the patch will be out that maybe one of the Firaxis guys or someone in-the-know will please shed some light on what progress is being made.

Ok talk to you later.

Neotek
Old November 9, 2002, 00:11   #4
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

argh, another rant.
Old November 9, 2002, 00:16   #5
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 18:42
Beaten to death? Another rant? No. Keep ranting, keep beating it. The second people stop complaining, is when Firaxis no longer has to worry about it's problems, and that's when we lose.
Old November 9, 2002, 00:33   #6
neotek
Settler

Thanks Snoopy -- that's basically the point I was trying to make.

Fact is: here we are quite a few days after that chat was held here on apolyton where Jeff Morris said the patch would be coming out "ASAP" and "in not very long at all" but we were never really told what that meant.

Not very long to one person can seem very long to another. Are we talking days, weeks, months? We should be able to play at least turn based online with decent lag right out the box.

Not to mention DIRECT IP capability. I'm anxiously waiting for that option.

Neotek
Old November 9, 2002, 00:35   #7
Tuberski

Actually, what I probably should have said, is that a mod will close this one, because we already have enough "rant" threads.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old November 9, 2002, 00:48   #8
neotek
Settler

Well that would be unfortunate tuberski, that implies only the first thread on a particular topic should be kept open because anyone posting something similar after that...well too bad for them because there's already 'enough of those'

That would discourage loyal Apolyton readers such as myself from wanting to contribute with both positive and sometimes critical content.

You know it sadens me when I go to the multiplayer lobby and see all the people upset at their gaming experience. Why should we care? Well because if everyone gets fed up with it they will stop going online to play. And then even if the patch comes out and fixes the lag the players available to match up against will have substantially diminished. I've seen it happen before to several games. From the Red Storm series, Rogue Spear: Urban operations was also a rather weak expansion online and sure enough never was properly patched and it ended up 'dying' online with very few if any people to play. Ultimately what could have been a great new experience with the game series was never to be due to poor implementation and lack of initial support.

Please I ask those who feel similarly not to be discouraged from posting here with your views and/or emailing Firaxis with your concerns.

That does not mean you hate firaxis or you don't like ptw it shows you actually LOVE the game so much you want to make sure it works properly and as advertised so you can all enjoy it together. That's basically how it is in my case, I was such a loyal fan before this and I wish to remain that way but I am also not blind and it is not wise to ignore problems.

respectfully,
Neotek
Old November 9, 2002, 00:52   #9
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:42
Well things dont look to good for Firaxis. Most people are really mad about the mp lag and crashes. I hope they fix it soon, because people can only take so much before they say forget it.
Old November 9, 2002, 01:01   #10
Minuteman
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
Beaten to death? Another rant? No. Keep ranting, keep beating it. The second people stop complaining, is when Firaxis no longer has to worry about it's problems, and that's when we lose.
@ the Sn00p-dawg

Even though I genuinely like this game, and have stated as much several times here, I'm going to chime in here and join the ranks of the "ranters".

My first attempt at MP today was an utter disaster. The game crashed after two excruciatingly slow hours of attempted game play with three others. So until the MP feature is fixed, the rants are warranted IMHO.

The only time rants become an annoyance is when they're all posted by a single user. When you check a guy's profile, and he averages 7 posts a day...and they're all negative, then it's okay to be dismissive, even a tad derisive.

However, PTW does clearly need to be patched...and fast! Like the old saying goes: "When ten men tell you you're drunk, then you better sit down". I think it's time that the Firaxians sit down and fix this title.
Old November 9, 2002, 01:10   #11
monkspider
King

Snoopy, I agree that critical posts are essential to the future of Civ III. But there is only so much ranting that can be done before it simply becomes superfluous. Rant all you want....in one of the literally hundreds of other threads on the exact same subject. But if you want to try to add another thread to the heap, don't be offended when it gets shut down.
Old November 9, 2002, 01:24   #12
neotek
Settler

Sigh monkspider, that's disrespectful to our opinions man. Your responses are so dismissive I don't know but you come off as contemptuous when I would never think to respond to one of your posts and put it down etc just because I might have heard something similar elsewhere.

I am an adult, college educated and I work... a lot... when I come home I like to relax by playing some civ3, and often I come here and try to keep up. But I don't have time to read what everyone has already said or has not on a particular topic.

All I ask is for the same respect afforded to someone who on the other hand posts that ptw is a great game... gee i hardly see anyone criticizing them for their 'positive rants' which btw there are multiple topics of that variety on here also, never locked.

Back on topic I would really like to request that someone from firaxis who might be reading this please respond and let us know what's going on with the patch ok? Thanks much appreciated.

Neotek
Old November 9, 2002, 01:32   #13
monkspider
King

My rudeness wasn't directed at you personally Neo, but rather the general ranter collective. As far as ranters go, you're alright. I apologize if I was a bit harsh. I am simply a bit peeved at the sheer volume of rants that are encountered here as of late. So I apologize if it seems that I was taking my general frustration out on you personally.
Old November 9, 2002, 01:34   #14
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:42
This is a discussion about a fairly important online game site slamming the game, not another irate fan. I think the thread is therefore valid, as long as it doesnt descend into actual ranting and is kept to discussion on the review and where PTW stands now. I still dont trust any games reviewers who get paid, i have no doubt some are corrupt with their promised exclusives etc, but that review seemed pretty honest.

I also read some problems with PBEM which i hadnt seen before, which was the main reason i was gonna buy PTW seeing as over 56k is out of the question now.
Old November 9, 2002, 01:37   #15
Minmaster
Warlord

i agree keep the rants coming so that firaxis gets the point!
Old November 9, 2002, 01:53   #16
Cartouche Bee
Settler

Firaxis knew there were problems and released a patch prior to the game being available in retail outlets. From day one fanboys have told us that it works and anybody who has problems just don't know how to set up their machines. Gamespy has said their piece about the problem and now the reviews are starting to reflect the sediments of the so called "ranters". Anyone who believes that the multiplayer capabilities were/are acceptable is living in denial of what we should be able to expect in the early 21st century, it's not 1984 any more. The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Old November 9, 2002, 02:04   #17
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:42
Or maybe it is 1984...

Its okay, people who defend PTW MP staunchly are either in denial, or in with the Firaxis lot.
Old November 9, 2002, 05:04   #18
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Or maybe it is 1984...

Its okay, people who defend PTW MP staunchly are either in denial, or in with the Firaxis lot.
Or are behaving in a reasonable fashion and are more likely to be listened to by the developers.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Trust me on that.
Old November 9, 2002, 05:08   #19
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Cartouche Bee
Firaxis knew there were problems and released a patch prior to the game being available in retail outlets. From day one fanboys have told us that it works and anybody who has problems just don't know how to set up their machines. Gamespy has said their piece about the problem and now the reviews are starting to reflect the sediments of the so called "ranters". Anyone who believes that the multiplayer capabilities were/are acceptable is living in denial of what we should be able to expect in the early 21st century, it's not 1984 any more. The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Truth is that MP Inet needs to be improved. A lot. No problem. Everyone know that.

The flip side is that the ranters who say that it is hopelessly broken and complete **** are themselves full of ****. Simple.

It works if you do the right things. Spend your time b*tching, or spend your time figuring out how to play. Your choice.
Old November 9, 2002, 05:23   #20
Demerzel
Warlord

I would have said that a game is fine if only a small minority has problems with it and those can be worked around.

If the majority have problems with it then I'd say it was broken for all intents and purposes.

Note, I'm using the generic term "game" rather than referring to anything specific as I do not have and won't be getting PtW, so I'm not able to comment on that game's pros/cons other than what it fundamentally represents.

Regarding the sheer number of "rant" threads, yes it is annoying there are so many of them but I guess there are so many because a lot of the people who bought PtW are experiencing a heck of a lot of problems. In their minds I guess, lots of bugs = lots of negative feedback threads. If I bought something that didn't work as it was supposed to [INSERT LARGE PERCENTAGE HERE] percent of the time then I'd be annoyed too.
Old November 9, 2002, 05:50   #21
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel
Regarding the sheer number of "rant" threads, yes it is annoying there are so many of them but I guess there are so many because a lot of the people who bought PtW are experiencing a heck of a lot of problems. In their minds I guess, lots of bugs = lots of negative feedback threads. If I bought something that didn't work as it was supposed to [INSERT LARGE PERCENTAGE HERE] percent of the time then I'd be annoyed too.
I would not assume that all of the rants are from people who bought it. Hey, there were 'players' posting stuff here before it hit the shelves. What does that tell you?

It tells me there are people with Alpha warez running their mouth.

I can guarantee you one thing. If one of them is in your game, it will crash at start. Hmmm. Reports of crashes at start. Wonder what's causing that?
Old November 9, 2002, 05:56   #22
Hohenzollern
Settler

why does everyone whine like babies? take the damn thing back then for crying out loud.
I love the expansion. Its not Civ4, its an expansion.
Firaxis is not an evil empire bent on stealing your money. Wow, get a life whiners!
Old November 9, 2002, 06:08   #23
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 12:42
Quote:
I know, I know some of you will want to reply and say oh well they are busy probably working on the patch, no time to respond or post. Well please! All it takes is 5 minutes or less to post something up and say hey guys we know there are some problems and we are progressing with the patch, etc don't worry it will be out soon, etc ,etc something along those lines.
this has already been done: they've already said they are working on a patch

all you need to do now if you think the game doesnt work for you is check here and our news section every few days. if there is a patch you'll figure it out instantly.

there is no really point in
1) repeating already said complaints
2) reading daily developer updates(if they existed) of the "we've progressed 5% today. i've personally killed 3 bugs!" type

and if firaxis fails you then you simply should not buy their next game

there are better things to do that worry and rant about all this....