Old November 9, 2002, 11:39   #1
Vipermmx
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Can MOO3 survive with games like Hegemonia,Orb and IG3 crowding?
Hegemonia is like a Mini-MOO its fun and taking over planets and attacking them in relatime is a blast. The best part is starting the game with nothing but a colony ship and some cash =) It also has multiple system support with wormholes and hyperspace all in realtime.

IG3 is like a MOO3 without ground combat or attacking planets but the strategy of taking ships out is amazing and detailed. The graphics and scale in this game out weigh all the others. The amount of depth in the tactical part of the game makes one wonder if the strategy part will be mega deep.

Orb this takes place of homeworld simple as that. Its fun.

MOO3- 800x600 res, crappy graphic engine. Now MOO3 does have the MOST detailed game type of them all. Alot goes behind the scenes. The thing is when I read info about this game I cant find that much. Most people will see the box and look at the graphics and brush it off for the likes of the other titles.

I have a bad feeling MOO3 will flop. Its old engine and low res support wont be a reviewers favorire and everyone knows people go off graphics on the back of boxs not gameplay. I really hope MOO3 gets some good advertising it needs it because gameplay alone on box wont sell it.

God help MOO3

Yes fans will support it but not many of them left =) Compared to the 3d market. We hardcore gamers are ass and want graphics and gameplay which is possible - ie...Hegemonia and IG3.
Vipermmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2002, 11:40   #2
Vipermmx
Chieftain

How do you feel about MOO3 and current support and market type? With Infogrames site not working doesnt help... cant get to forum.
Old November 9, 2002, 11:56   #3
Nightingale
Settler

Local Time: 11:43
Hmm...
I've never heard of those games you mention there (think you could post some links?) but I personally don't think MoO III will flop, I get the feeling that there are still a lot of hardcore strategy players out there, and MoO has the benefit of a name most serious strategy gamers will immediately recognise.

I'm not quite as pessimistic about the lack of graphics as you are, strategy games almost always have pretty basic graphics without an insane amount of colours, and effects, yet the genre still exists, so the buyers must be there.

Whether MoO III will survive the competition from those other games you mention, I don't know, but I think it has an advantage simply because of its name.

And from what I hear the add avalanche for MoO III will soon begin.

We will all be much wiser soon!
Old November 9, 2002, 12:12   #4
Vipermmx
Chieftain

Links...

www.hegemonia.info

www.o-r-b.com

www.ig3.de

Enjoy =)
Old November 9, 2002, 13:47   #5
Trifna
King

Local Time: 18:43
These games may as well, into longer term, bring some new people to the genre. Not everyone wants a immersionly-strategically-completenessly-faded RTS
You should also add this other game alot closer to MOO3: Galactic Civilizations.

So a few factors:
1- All these games will make competition
2- Many of these games may bring new people to the genre
3- Maybe this overflow to the genre is coming from a higher popularity overall, thus there's already people more consumer to buy copies (more demand), which brings companies to create more games (more offer)

Finally, it seems it will bring more diversity, thus the genre will maybe be pushed further with new innovations and solutions.
Old November 9, 2002, 14:01   #6
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Local Time: 05:43
I find it interesting that you focus on the gameplay elements of the other games, then immediately dismiss MOO3 on the basis of its graphics, "because gameplay alone on box won't sell it".

Do you have a real argument to present here? Because if any of these titles need to worry about losing sales to competing games, it's probably not MOO3. The Master of Orion franchise carries a considerable amount of clout.
Lee Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2002, 14:07   #7
Vipermmx
Chieftain

All those games offer fun gameplay and GREAT graphics. Thats the point.

M003 is a spreadsheet with a crappy voxel tech renderer. We all known voxel is crap no matter trying to explain.

You fans here may not care but you guys play civ 3 and moo2 which have 0 graphics most you probably dont even own a system above 500mhz.

Most people on other forums dismiss Moo3 and a living spreadsheet with crap ass graphics. Ive seen far more negative about the game then good.

This is why i worry. Moo3 has alot to compete with since moo3 is comming out RIGHT after Hege and orb.
Old November 9, 2002, 14:49   #8
Mr. Orange
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Quote:
You fans here may not care but you guys play civ 3 and moo2 which have 0 graphics most you probably dont even own a system above 500mhz.
Be careful. Someone might come after you for this one.

Quote:
Most people on other forums dismiss Moo3 and a living spreadsheet with crap ass graphics. Ive seen far more negative about the game then good
They are scared of the power of the New Orions (those Antaran bastards!)

Seriously, for me, this WAS the game back in the day. Nothing else compared to it. I fired up the ol' MOO2 this week and still felt the magic. I do think sales will be brisk and if the game sites/mags like it (and many reviewers fondly remember the first two), sales will follow. Especially if all the hype fits into the box.
Mr. Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2002, 14:53   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:43
Hegemania or how ever it is spelled is a 3d rts, it may be great, but it is not a TBS game so it will not really be in competition, with the exception that it is a space game. IG3, if like IG2 is not going to make many think of Moo. It was against Homeworld type games and it was vastly inferior to HW.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2002, 15:03   #10
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Vipermmx

Most people on other forums dismiss Moo3 and a living spreadsheet with crap ass graphics. Ive seen far more negative about the game then good.
Go to civ3 and look at the hread for system. I gave away at least 4 pc in the past 2 years that are above those stats and still have AMD 1.6G and PIV 1.7G boxes using Geforce3 and Radeon 8500 cards.
Most other forums are full of children, so what. People are free to dismiss anything they want. I am still waiting for the game that has graphics so good that I will like it in spite of the fact that it is no fun. I have many games that have ancient graphics that are still fun. The fact is that is is rare for any TBS game to sell in lare numbers. This could be do to any number of thing. One is surely that you do not find many, another is they are often berift of state of the art graphics. I would suspect the other factor is the age of most game buyers, requires an immediate action feed back, that will not be found in TBS.
Old November 9, 2002, 16:32   #11
Sollos
Chieftain

It seems that these games, while looking great, seem to focus around space battles. Everyone likes a healthy emphasis on space battles. But MOO3 seems to emphasize much more.
Sollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2002, 17:13   #12
ashbery
Chieftain

Moo3 is 4x strategy game that has diplomacy,spying,economics etc so you need to have the so called speadsheet look because it would be no good without information. The three games you talk about are command and conquer in space like homeworld, its like comparing apples and oranges they are a different genre.
ashbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2002, 19:20   #13
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Quote:
Oh. Now I understand your position: You're one of these misguided people who thinks that if a game doesn't use a 3-D engine with millions of multi-textured polygons on the screen, it isn't worth playing.

Why are you even worried about MOO3? It's obviously not a game you'd enjoy playing, even if it did have state-of-the-art graphics.

Kids these days...
Lee Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2002, 19:35   #14
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Seems the continued problems with the official fora spill over here - now we get all the trolls. For shame!
Old November 9, 2002, 19:50   #15
SeanV
Chieftain

Quote:
You fans here may not care but you guys play civ 3 and moo2 which have 0 graphics

{Begin Rant}
Moo2 and Civ3 do not have 0 graphics. Games like ADOM have 0 graphics and I would rather play ADOM-like games that have depth and character, than some game with graphics that burn your eyeballs out of your sockets and all of the depth and enjoyment potential of a puddle on Highway 66.
{/Rant}

But I suppose I am only one person and that almost no one else has my warped tastes.

Sorry but I felt I had to say that
Old November 10, 2002, 03:20   #16
Atragon
Prince

I'll limit my reply to the original topic of this thread.

Yes, it can. O.R.B. Hegemonia, and IG3 are an entirely different type of game, they're all RTS games and as such, compete directly with homeworld.
Atragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2002, 11:15   #17
Vipermmx
Chieftain

Graphics Sell.

Simple as that people. QS designed a game on aging tech. Very bad idea no matter what most you think. Going voxel was REALLY BAD IDEA. The game looks TERRIBLE!!!! Im talking 1994 terrible.

Hegemonia has exploration,economy,expand,eliminate.

You build on planets and colonize. Yes its not near as detailed but its pretty and fights are enjoyable.

Let me see fights with voxel or true 3d. Fights on planets that look like crap because there little images or attacking planets from space and killing population.

Hegemonia is considered a Mini-MOO. I think it will be a fight between the 2. Multi solar system and everything in Hege.
Old November 10, 2002, 11:54   #18
Anguille2
Chieftain

Quote:
All those games offer fun gameplay and GREAT graphics. Thats the point.

M003 is a spreadsheet with a crappy voxel tech renderer. We all known voxel is crap no matter trying to explain.

This is why i worry. Moo3 has alot to compete with since moo3 is comming out RIGHT after Hege and orb.
You're right for most of it. The fact that games like Haegemonia, Imperium Galactica and Orb come out at the same time is a danger. However, you compare MOO3's graphic to CIV3....and CIV3 sold a lot of copies despite the poor graphics...
Many people know the game by name...and MOO3 is much deeper than the above mentioned games (and i do play and like IG1 and IG2). But it could be that the game won't get a lot of support from the Game's Magazines...i hope it sells well.

Stuart Adamson, singer from Big Country, 1958-2001.
Anguille2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2002, 12:37   #19
Trifna
King

Quote:
Graphics Sell.

Simple as that people. QS designed a game on aging tech. Very bad idea no matter what most you think. Going voxel was REALLY BAD IDEA. The game looks TERRIBLE!!!! Im talking 1994 terrible.

Hegemonia has exploration,economy,expand,eliminate.

You build on planets and colonize. Yes its not near as detailed but its pretty and fights are enjoyable.

Let me see fights with voxel or true 3d. Fights on planets that look like crap because there little images or attacking planets from space and killing population.

Hegemonia is considered a Mini-MOO. I think it will be a fight between the 2. Multi solar system and everything in Hege.
MOO3 is not the same type of game. It's like saying Civ3 is gonna have problems because Age of Mythology has better graphics. May have some kind of influence, but it's not that bad. MOO3 or Civ3 are oriented towards something else than graphics mainly.
Old November 10, 2002, 13:04   #20
Grumbold
Emperor

Trifna has said pretty much what I was going to say. IG3, Orb and Hegemonia will compete more directly with each other than with MoO3. Those of us who don't want a twitch game have only one obvious choice
Old November 10, 2002, 14:55   #21
Mr. Orange
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
Seems the continued problems with the official fora spill over here - now we get all the trolls. For shame!
and out of my chair.
Mr. Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2002, 15:15   #22
vmxa1
Deity

The people that are waiting for Moo3 are not going to look to any RTS games as a replacement. They may buy them and like them, but it will not be analagous to a tbs game. I for one can not play 3d flying games. Many I have bought, but none have I managed to play. I have two problems and they are mine, not the games. 1- most will give me motion sickness 2- I am too lame to figure out my spatial location to combat ships.
So will there be some people who look at the box and see pictures they do not like them and not buy, I would think so. Are those people likely Moo fans anyway, probably not.
Old November 10, 2002, 15:17   #23
vmxa1
Deity

One more point on graphics. I have shown many people in the last two years Moo and Moo2 and everyone of them liked both games and how current are those graphics? There must be a 1000 games with great graphics that no one liked.
Old November 10, 2002, 15:54   #24
Vipermmx
Chieftain

Why do they hide there combat screenshots? They said new ones would be online soon??? I mean it would be nice to see the GROUND combat control screen and the SPACE combat screen!!!

Just give some shots of that thats my biggest gripe. I want to see them!
Old November 10, 2002, 16:33   #25
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 12:43
While i would only accept IG3 as an opponent to MoO3 still I foretell that we'll see the Sales. Then you can come back and I will say Vipermmx is the New Nostradamus.
happy? :=)
Old November 11, 2002, 03:03   #26
YC4B4U
Warlord

Local Time: 20:13
I have played games that have fancy graphics and allow you to rotate your view. It sure looked good.

But when it came to playing the game I found that I set the view to a certain zoom, usually the one that gave me a 'strategic view' whilst still allowing me to identify units.

Moral of the story: Eye candy will leave you hungry, gameplay will leave you sleepless...
YC4B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2002, 09:49   #27
Gooberman32
Warlord

trifna has a point a game with a 500 page design document has got to have alot of depth and replayability. to be honest though good graphics are for the teeny boppers of gaming(not implying anything) if graphics are your criteria for judging a game than so be it youll only be hungry for more. But if graphics are all a game has going for it is probably a one trick pony. You look at it go oooh.... wow.... and after a month it gets boring. MoO3 wont be that game it is one of those game that its fans will be playing for a long time because of its depth, fun and replayability.
Old November 11, 2002, 14:24   #28
Vipermmx
Chieftain

Well Im joining the MOO3 crowd now =)

I looked at the shots and there is just sooooo much depth in the control panals and I can play Hegemonia for my 3d space needs =)

MOO3 will probably have me going afew hours of sleep a night.
Old November 11, 2002, 21:16   #29
SeanV
Chieftain

Welcome to the circle of believers Vipermmx.

Now repeat after me, "There is no computer game but Master of Orion and Rantz is its prophet."

(I apologize to all Muslims that I have offended by this post.)
Old November 12, 2002, 02:54   #30
Saber Cherry
Settler

Viper is *****ing and trolling constantly, all over the place, spreading unwanted slime like a drooling dog. He's uncontrollable in sheer volume... like a cross between a drooling dog and a fire hydrant, really... poor kid, having those as parents.

I'd call him "Hydrool" but it's not obviously insulting, and there's nothing to say to him... so I'll just diagnose him as having terminal "diarrhea of the mouth" and stay away

btw, this was not his first "conversion". He's more like those freaks who follow televangelists around to be converted, or healed, or de-crippled, or exorcised...
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote