Old November 9, 2002, 14:28   #1
King_Xerces
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Backup Copy
I'm trying to make a backup copy of my Civ 3. But, for some reason, even though the copying process runs perfectly (using clone CD) on a bran New dell, I cannot get the backup copy to play. It does enter the initial options screen (ie play it, view readme etc) but never actually enters the game. Any Idea as to how I can get it to work? I know that my computer is fine. I've even tried copying the game to high and low quality CD-r's as well as a good quality CDRW but it just wont work.

-Thanks
Old November 9, 2002, 15:57   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:44
Yeah, but I do not want to get into troube. Goto the support sites for clonecd. The virtual cd software sites also have that type of info.
Old November 9, 2002, 16:21   #3
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 11:44
The anti-piracy protection of the game is precisely aimed at preventing cloning of the CD, that's why you can't do a backup copy.
(and yes, AFAIK it's an infringement of your consumer's rights)
Old November 9, 2002, 17:06   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Newer copy protection are very tricky to deal with. I doubt you'll ever get it to work with current CDR technology. (Now if only they'd figure out a good way to prevent warez)
Old November 9, 2002, 17:40   #5
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 05:44
Yes, not all burners are capable of making a backup copy with some games protections. Did you check on the clonecd site to make sure your burner was supported and was able to burn exact copys? Copy protection is worthless, just hurts the people who buy the game.
Old November 9, 2002, 17:56   #6
vmxa1
Deity

IIRC the key is if your device can handle RAW or not. Anyway it is easy to get the copy to finish, but that does not mean it will work. Some will even let you install from them, but not play. Depends on the protection scheme and the method of the copy. Legally you are suppose to be able to make copies of things you own for your use only. The new laws may put that in conflict.
Old November 9, 2002, 19:40   #7
Destroyer
Prince

Local Time: 10:44
New laws?

In England the law still protect the consumers righs to create backup copies. Which is as you say, not possible. My issue is that fine if you can store the cd away after installation, but when you need to keep it out every time you play the game, the chances are it will get damaged at some point.
Old November 10, 2002, 00:20   #8
Raiche23
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:44
It's easy. Just download a no-cd crack.

You install it and you replace the .exe
Old November 10, 2002, 01:14   #9
vmxa1
Deity

I was refering to the new millenium law. I am not well versed in, but it has some conflicting point that could over ride the ruling that had determined we were entitled to make copies of things were owned. That law has been interrupted to say that is no longer so. I am not sure of the finally disposition and no I am not a lawyer.
Old November 10, 2002, 18:40   #10
King_Xerces
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:44
WTF!!!
copy protection?!!??!?! No fair man.
Damage to my Cd is precisely why I want a backup. I bought the information for 45 cdn dollars. Why the hell should I have to buy it again if my cd gets a scratch on it or something?? I constantly resist the temptation to buy anything illegal and this is how I get rewarded I guess thats what you get for believing in the goodness of mankind. Just like trusting Ghandi or the Japanese. THey'll screw you every time.

Either way, thanks for all the replies. I will try to go to cloneCD.com or download the no CD crack as Raiche23 has brilliantly recommended. They can take away my dignity, but they can't take away my freedom!! (or something like that)
Old November 10, 2002, 21:42   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Well the laws I mentioned do not pertain to you anyway as they are US laws. BTW they will replace any defective disk. I was using a no cd app, but it required you to have a full copy of the cd on disk and that got to be a huge drain of space.
Old November 10, 2002, 21:43   #12
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

im suprised someone from Firaxis hasnt got in touch with with Apolyton to close this thread yet
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old November 10, 2002, 21:52   #13
vmxa1
Deity

We have skirted the edges.
Old November 11, 2002, 03:32   #14
The Pioneer
Prince

I have backed up my CD and I had no technical problems doing so. I never really read t hrough the EULAs and stuff but I thought that one is entitled to make a back up copy of his/her Game. Now did I do something illegal?! I thought that these CD cracks and stuff were illegal.

Now could somebody enlighten me?

So long...
Old November 11, 2002, 17:03   #15
Destroyer
Prince

Well Im not German, but in the UK you can use any means for creating a "personal backup"

I seem to remember SMAC not needing a cd, wonder why they do now, or perhaps its the publisher that insists on these things.
Old November 12, 2002, 05:09   #16
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 13:44
In Finland they're making a law that would render ANY copying for ANY purpose illegal. And it would be... um, backwards utilized? (I make copy in 1995, I'm a criminal in 2002.) Intelligenzia!
Old November 12, 2002, 05:26   #17
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:44
I bought 2 copies of Civ3 (sold 1).

I play every game from a back up of the original, burned with a relatively new burner and software. Meanwhile the original sits pristine in it's sleeve awaiting the need to make a new back up if the first one goes to cd heaven (they do that, you know).

Where I am it is perfectly legit to make copies to use while storing the originals safely. They can pry my burner from my cold, dead hands.
Old November 12, 2002, 06:03   #18
The Pioneer
Prince

Ok, so its country has its own rules and regulation but what if I buy a game in the States and install it here in Germany. The EULA is not even valid, how the heck am I going to know if I am doing anything illegal.

Well, I've had very few problems in the past with discs or CDs and I've learned my lesson to make a copy. I know that most of the time they would replace my copy but this involves money and time, besides the fact that they may not have the game anymore. I also do not think that if somebody makes one single back up copy for himself is going to be prosecuted in any way, at least not yet.

So long...
Old November 12, 2002, 07:44   #19
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

I use FantomCD to make an image-file of the original CD and then mount the image as an virtual cd-drive. Works like a charm. An interesting side-effect is that I no longer have to keep the CD in the drive. It will spend some disk-space though but HD's are cheap nowadays.

It is also perfectly legal in Norway, unless I start spreading copies to someone else.
Old November 12, 2002, 07:51   #20
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 12:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
In Finland they're making a law that would render ANY copying for ANY purpose illegal. And it would be... um, backwards utilized? (I make copy in 1995, I'm a criminal in 2002.) Intelligenzia!
I agree that sounds ridicoulous. I reality it's not really a problem. If you made a backup copy in 1995, how could you find a system that's compatible in 2002?
Old November 13, 2002, 02:32   #21
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 13:44
Hey, it could be Giana Sisters for C-64, in floppies in the corner of my closet, and I'd still be liable for lawsuit.
Old November 13, 2002, 05:58   #22
georges bonbon
Warlord

In case of a defective cd, who is changing the cd?

Infogrames or the shop?
Old November 13, 2002, 15:16   #23
vmxa1
Deity

Infogames, see the manual.
Old November 13, 2002, 19:13   #24
Destroyer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
Hey, it could be Giana Sisters for C-64, in floppies in the corner of my closet, and I'd still be liable for lawsuit.
Sling it with my Katakis!