Old November 9, 2002, 16:31   #1
MC4K
Settler

Local Time: 10:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
is ptw actualy worth it????
i live in england so ptw isnt out here yet, but i wanna ask, is it really worth it? i have seen it absolutly slated in the online press (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...897110,00.html being an example)

apparently its totaly unplayable online and the "scenarios" are just a bunch of user made graphics shoved on a cd wiv no support for implimenting them into the game or documentation. is this true?

i was really looking forward to this expantion and ppl SEEM to like it in the forums.

do you think the problems will be fixed quickly in a patch and how long do you think it will be b4 anyone brings out any support for the scenarios?
Old November 9, 2002, 16:40   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:44
at the moment mp is a big nono, but it will improve

The single player part offers many small (and bigger) improvements. (from AI -tweaking to new civs, etc....)

what can I say, spend some time here, read a few threads (take everything with a grain of salt )
(be carefull though, before you know, you will spending more time here , then actually playing the game )

enjoy
Old November 9, 2002, 16:45   #3
neotek
Settler

MCk4,

Hey... yea "ppl SEEM to like it in the forums" because anytime someone with a different opinion about the game mentions it has problems or is critical of it their thread gets promptly closed down by the moderators.

Majority of people are NOT happy with multiplayer. Just go to the multi lobbies and you will see the true feelings there since there is no way to stifle their free speech in that format.

Neotek
Old November 9, 2002, 16:51   #4
MC4K
Settler

Quote:
anytime someone with a different opinion about the game mentions it has problems or is critical of it their thread gets promptly closed down by the moderators.
lol, it sounds worryingly like some sort of facist forum moderation!!

i think (and i REALLY hope) it will improve wiv patches. i have till the 22nd b4 it cums out here. i want it to be good sooo badly. the civ 2 expantions (fantastic worlds etc) really kicked ass and civ 2 gold had working and totaly enjoyable multiplayer.

it sounds like firaxis should have spent a lill more time developing and testing this!

btw, are save games saved under the current patch compatible with ptw?
Old November 9, 2002, 16:55   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

is this really necesairy??? you just got 3 or 4 threads closed. ( do not cr*p in every thread pleaaaaaaaase!!

The guy asked an opinion about the game, not about 'Poly. (and your not correct on that one either btw )

Futher then that , I said MP has problems!!

I just stated that AFAIK , SP is worth buying PTW

PS: the user grafics are wow!!!, believe me.

Last edited by alva; November 9, 2002 at 19:20.
Old November 9, 2002, 16:58   #6
MC4K
Settler

cool. well, i will be buying it (it will cost £15 here when its releaced in the uk. £5 less than was origionaly reported)

the bugs are blatantly gonna be fixed in patches, they have to be. hell, ill buy it just for the sp anyhow :-)
Old November 9, 2002, 17:34   #7
Cagliostro
Chieftain

I bought an imported version for 50 €, and yes - onlineplay seems to be buggy as hell, the "scenarios" are nothing compared to the civ2 expansion packs, and graphics and sound are a joke compared to allmost every game I played in the last few years, AI moves take 15 minutes allthough the map isn't even fully populated and the AI is still dumb as f*ck - but still - I'd say it was worth every cent of it's money if I look at the time I spend with it - I just love the civ series since the first time I played the original civ on my amiga 12 years ago - I allways (allmost exclusively) play the biggest possible worldmap with the maximum # of civs - and now it's bigger than ever - I'm having a blast
Old November 9, 2002, 17:48   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:44
I can image why they would close down such an enlighted statement as facism or nazi, I mean it so germain and accurate (not). Leaving that aside, the fact that we have about 100 threads already and so many post saying the samething. Some just get tired of hearing about it. All of the points have already been made and understood. The horse is dead. That is why the threads are close. It is not like some threads did not have hundreds of those rants in them. People had a chance to complain as well they should. If I have a cracked window, I am happy to have someone point it out, the next few, ok, but by 999th one, I can do with out. Even if they are correct and are only trying to help. You couple it with such friendly terms as NAZI and the like...........
Old November 9, 2002, 18:05   #9
MC4K
Settler

sorry! (i think!) i wasnt complaining, i just wanted to know what ppl who like the game as i do think of it, as apposed to sum1 who reviews games.

im not sure where all the nazi comments are.... i cant see any! the facist joke was refering to the comment about threads being shut down, and it was, so be honest, not exactly a very seriously made acusation!

well, if anyone has any more reccomendations for me, plz reply! tnx :P
Old November 9, 2002, 19:11   #10
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:44
I don't play MP and even though I have DSL, having all those mods locally is nice, but I really don't care about either of those.

Another way to say it is, if MP and/or user-made mods is the reason you are buying PtW, I wouldn't.

Any game that has GameSpy as it's matchmaker is going to have problems for about 3 months after release.

For me, the actual game content - tweaked AI, new Civs, new Units, new Wonders, new Improvements, no more "hidden" key commands, a great new Diplomacy/Espionage interface - those are the reasons I wanted PtW.

Multi-play? Nah, pass. One of the reasons I play computer games is specifically to avoid contact with the stereotype (I know) of the leet dewd MP god type people.

User-made mods? Maybe, but not before reading what some of the 'poly veterans have to say about it.

Actual new stuff from Soren and Crew? Now yer talking!
That's where my $30 went.
Old November 9, 2002, 19:35   #11
Cagliostro
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848

(be carefull though, before you know, you will spending more time here , then actually playing the game )

enjoy
Well - right now I'm "alt-tab"ing me here during the ai moves - so yes - I spend more time here than playing the game, but if I wouldn't come here, it would take about the same time to play the game

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki

Multi-play? Nah, pass. One of the reasons I play computer games is specifically to avoid contact with the stereotype (I know) of the leet dewd MP god type people.

Old November 9, 2002, 20:29   #12
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Multiplay can be good if you know who to play with, aven if you hate l33ts.
I'm eagerly awaiting PtW here in Europe to play hotseat !
Old November 9, 2002, 22:07   #13
elcapjtk
Settler

I like the scenario with the 31 civs... The Celts have united Europe under one banner
Old November 10, 2002, 00:01   #14
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 07:44
Now we only need neotek to answer again so this thread can be closed...

Old November 10, 2002, 00:15   #15
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 05:44
I personally like several of the mods, although many are just maps or rule changes (like the btm). I just wish they'd included and updated Ixnay's Years of Rice and Salt (what can I say, it's a good mod. I just do NOT wanna take the time to modify to use the new civs and units )

All in all, since I don't play MP, I am REALLY enjoying PtW, and would suggest it to anyone who's someone.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but.....
Old November 10, 2002, 00:59   #16
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

MC4K, my comment for about neotek and the threads he had closed.
Old November 10, 2002, 11:36   #17
Robber Baron
Prince

Quote:
if MP and/or user-made mods is the reason you are buying PtW, I wouldn't.
There you go.

Quote:
Any game that has GameSpy as it's matchmaker is going to have problems for about 3 months after release.
There you go.

Quote:
For me, the actual game content - tweaked AI,
There

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki new Civs,
you

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki new Units,
go

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki ... That's where my $30 went.

ducki nails it, IMO.
Old November 10, 2002, 11:50   #18
WarpStorm
King

Having played PTW for a while in SP, I wouldn't go back to vanilla Civ3 for SP play. It would feel a little lacking in comparison.

I just hope that they get internet MP working soon to totally round out this package.
Old November 10, 2002, 21:02   #19
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:44
Quote:
Originally posted by MC4K

the civ 2 expantions (fantastic worlds etc) really kicked ass and civ 2 gold had working and totaly enjoyable multiplayer.
Yes well this game wasn't made the people who made those briliant games.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 10, 2002, 21:06   #20
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Test of Time sucked when you hit the second planet.

It wasn't all peaches and cream, although the propagandists would have you believe otherwise.
Old November 11, 2002, 00:55   #21
Boracks
Warlord

After seeing reviews, I was thinking I should not bother getting PTW. But after reading this thread, I have to go back onto the 'undecided' fence (I mostly play SP). Thanks, people!
Old November 11, 2002, 00:59   #22
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boracks

After seeing reviews, I was thinking I should not bother getting PTW. But after reading this thread, I have to go back onto the 'undecided' fence (I mostly play SP). Thanks, people!
If you only play SP, then I would highly recommend getting PTW.

The improvements are quite good, as others have said. the ai is improved, the commands are improved, mod use is improved, etc etc.

quite an improvement for SP, and PTW will be supported with patches, so it will improve even more.
Old November 11, 2002, 01:26   #23
wilbill
Warlord

Here's both sides of the coin...

Just got PTW and spent a large part of the weekend giving it a test drive - SP only. As others have said, the improvements are very worthwhile. Other than finishing up a game in progress, I see no reason to go back to straight Civ 3.

While the improvements in gameplay, commands, etc. are good, some of them were so obviously needed that it's arguable they should have been in the original game or a patch. Only you can say whether PTW is worth $25 to you. I'm not at all sorry I bought it, but before I buy the next Civ 3 package I'll wait a couple of months for the smoke to settle.
Old November 11, 2002, 02:39   #24
Spock
Chieftain

382 people don't think so!
I work for Wal-mart and as of Sunday morning 382 people(company wide) have returned their PTW copy ....as a claims officer, I know that it cost Wally $1.50 for every return that has to be returned to the company(as software does) . Wally will be considering pulling PTW from its shelf if these numbers continue on this trend. "It doesn't work".... has been the reason for returns in my store in every case but one. So to answer the question "is it worth it?" I say yes(with lots of work) .....382 others say NO.
Old November 11, 2002, 02:43   #25
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Spock, I've been trying to be nice, and I will continue to try to do so. But I smell horse feathers.

Could you explain why the 10 year old boy in this thread needed a patch?
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=67296

It was a good story, and it may be true. I'd like to know why he 'needed' a patch. I'm very interested.
Old November 11, 2002, 02:48   #26
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Spock, I've been trying to be nice, and I will continue to try to do so. But I smell horse feathers.

Could you explain why the 10 year old boy in this thread needed a patch?
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=67296

It was a good story, and it may be true. I'd like to know why he 'needed' a patch. I'm very interested.
I was also wondering that, Ming was too fast on the trigger. If the kid doesn't have internet, then what problems does he have with PTW? I don't think there are any problems with SP PTW that cause the game to be unplayable, and the hotseat MP is fine. Not to pick or anything.
Old November 11, 2002, 02:53   #27
Spock
Chieftain

....His mother told me it kept stopping(I took it she meant crashing) during the game... when I went over she tried to show me what she meant(my game has never crashed so I wanted to see...I wonder if I just jinxed myself) but it seemed to run fine while I was there. I suppose "need" may be too strong of a word in this case ...they were going to return the game for a refund otherwise. If she continues to have problems I gave her my number and will give you any feedback I get on this matter.

I do have a ? for you....Did you download the patch and install it before playing?
Old November 11, 2002, 03:03   #28
Spock
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Ming was too fast on the trigger.

Thanks guys!!!!!!!
Old November 11, 2002, 03:07   #29
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
....His mother told me it kept stopping(I took it she meant crashing) during the game... when I went over she tried to show me what she meant(my game has never crashed so I wanted to see...I wonder if I just jinxed myself) but it seemed to run fine while I was there. I suppose "need" may be too strong of a word in this case ...they were going to return the game for a refund otherwise. If she continues to have problems I gave her my number and will give you any feedback I get on this matter.

I do have a ? for you....Did you download the patch and install it before playing?
Wow, you are certainly the helping Wal-Mart guy, we would all be so lucky to run into you if we had problems did you make a housecall? It seems more likely with SP that there was an issue with hardware. but the patch could have made the difference, I was probably too hasty to be critical. If they are computer newbies, they could definately have problems with installing and playing the game.

And, yes, I played around with the game for a little while before installing the patch. not a full game, mind you, just wanted to see the new civs and game set ups.
Old November 11, 2002, 03:11   #30
notyoueither
Deity

Yes. All of them. I am testing them for Firaxis.

I do however know one fellow, employed in the computer industry and who is an avid gamer btw, who never patched Civ3. He happily plays 1.07.

I also do support for people with computers specifically in my line of work. I sympathise with you and them. It is frustrating when something does not go right. However, people often find fault where problems are elsewhere.

I understand people returning things if they do not work with their setup. That is the path of least resistence and least frustration. Only, it is common with computers that part X and Whiz-Bang A have problems that need configuration to work. The products they return most often work with most other systems. Not always, but often. There are duds.

In short, what you describe is endemic in the entire computer industry.