Old November 9, 2002, 19:51   #1
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Roll Play Team - Characters thread
Each person on the team will post a character bio here and keep it updated. If the character dies, then the old bio is to be scrapped and a new one created. Please post your bio's below.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 9, 2002, 19:54   #2
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

GK is my name. I often have dilusions of grandour. I listen to the voices of the small fuzzie beings who talk to me, and often follow their advise. They tell me things such as ways of throwing sticks that will kill the Bison, or of caves that can be made in places where there are no caves. I like these ideas, and hope to make them a reality. I am good at scavanging things, and at making things.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 9, 2002, 20:04   #3
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:44
Ok, now that I've done my homework on the issue

-------------

IF WE ARE CARTHAGE:

Hamilcar Arnelos
Known simply as "Hamilcar" (as with most Carthaginians/Phoenicians, they are known by their first name, rarely using their surname). Hamilcar is a brute known for being adept at business and trade. While our people were nomadic, Hamilcar (and his line) gained distinction mainly by making decent clothing out of the hides killed by others (the hunters). Now that our society is agricultural, Hamilcar will live in the very small urban area of Carthage as one of the first merchants. His purpose will be mainly to buy and sell agricultural goods from farmers and at his shop in the market, as well as to export them to other regions. The family also retains interest in the area of textiles.

IF WE ARE SPAIN:

Lorenzo Clemente
(Much the same as with Hamilcar - a merchant)

-------------

btw, methinks that we'll likely have to re-create this thread once we get our own private forum, as people not in our team are likely to post in here and mess up stuff

Last edited by Arnelos; November 10, 2002 at 04:40.
Old November 9, 2002, 20:30   #4
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 21:44
I am General Hasdrubal Tacticus, head of the Tacticus military family. We have fought against neighbouring tribes (now extinct) and have successfully hunted many animals. Our family toolmakers make the finest weapons in our tribe, and are currently investigating the potential to make weapons out of something better than stone.
Old November 9, 2002, 21:44   #5
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 04:44
The Clan History-Guy
They call me Senator Hamilcar History-Guy of the History-Guy family. I am a Pre-Renaissance Renaissance man. I live in a rather large villa overlooking the water, where I grow grapes, which I sell for exorbitant prices to wine makers to bottle Hamilcar's Last Wine of the Summer, which sells in a multitude of foreign ports. I consider myself as incredibly patriotic as possible, and have fought in many wars in the position of Major General before civilization even began. I am also a history, working on a biography of Admiral Hanno, and my flunky slave, the fat, greasy Gastronome Neecap, constantly follows me around. I also have large amounts of cheese in my vast underground sellers, and I have the constant habit of forgetting to take only one bath per day. How tarsome.

An excerpt from the “Carthaginian History Travel Brochure for 4000 BC”:

"The large History-Guy family has it’s origins in the ancient city of Tyre, from which we Carthaginians fled, and we have traced back our lineage to one Disgustus History-Guy, a mule-skinner, and the first History-Guy. He founded the dynasty by making a commercial empire for his mule skins, and despite his assassination by the jealous mule-skinning Hasdrubal Hatfield family, the History-Guy family became an important one commercially in early Carthage. However, in the dark times of pre-history, the family lost all prominence in a bitter feud between the History-Guys and the Hatfields, which ended in the total destruction of the Hatfield clan at the 4th Battle of the Byrsa on September 4, 2109 BC. Emerging from that conflict was Asbrudal History-Guy, who abolished the private army of the History-Guys soon afterward, and started to attempt to rebuild the family’s social prominence to what it is today, and though the mule trade is no longer important, the History-Guys, headed now by Senator Hamilcar History-Guy, are back as one of Carthage’s many important clans. As well as having some political power, they also have economic powers, with a hand in the glass-trade, the lead trade, the dye trade, and even now in the lumber trade, with a small holding in the Atlas Mountains."

Last edited by History Guy; November 11, 2002 at 17:46.
Old November 9, 2002, 21:49   #6
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

This is a placeholder for my character. I'll work on both Carthaginian and Spanish bios and post once the civ is finalized.
Old November 10, 2002, 00:54   #7
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I hereby start my first character

Ninot, of the Sideshow Clan.

for short
Sideshow Ninot
Old November 10, 2002, 13:36   #8
OliverFA
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 12:44
Well. Here is my first character bio:

My name is Oli, and I come from a clan which has recently gained some position. How I don't know yet. Maybe by helping an older and more powerful clan, or just by being at the right place at the right moment. I'll think about that, or maybe that could be part of the RP game also

Being a newcomer to the stages of power and politics I prefer to stay in a relatively safe second line. At least until I adquire some more experience. I will serve with loyalty any other more powerful clan in order to become more known, skilled and experienced.

On the bad side I will not take risks unless I am really forced to, but maybe this will change with time...
Old November 10, 2002, 14:08   #9
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

I am Carthalo Mitchell

I am not so filthy rich or powerful as the other clans in the tribe, but I do lead the Mitchell clan through hard work. I hope to advance the tribe as a whole, starting with my called-radical ideas of not solely eating buffalo meat...after Baal brought us to this land, I have noticed the numbers of buffalo falling. Maybe we could start to grow plants en masse, and just maybe use a system of transporting water over long distances to give the fruit of the earth its water. As for myself, I make a living growing this thing called "maize" and selling it to the other members of the tribe. They seem to be liking it, and I am growing richer by the sale. Maybe I can teach them to plant it and other foods, and make it grow. I can imagine it now, an entire squadron of workers, say, civil servants, working for the "irrigation" of the land. (Am I hinting, Togas, that I wish to control the workers?) However, I do not wish to enter the beast that consumes everything in its path, tribal politics.

GO CARTHAGE!
Old November 10, 2002, 14:33   #10
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Arnelos-- Wait! I'm Hamilcar!!

Here is a list of possible names for historical Carthaginians of prominence...

For females: Elissa (Dido), Queen of Carthage, the founder of the city in the 800s BC.

For males:

Pumayton (800s)
King of Tyre, father of Dido.

Malchus (600s)
He whipped the Greeks in Sicily.

Mago (600s)
He started a line of rulers over the city.

Hanno (500s)
An admiral who navigated a fleet all the way to Nigeria.

Himilco (500s)
An admiral who sailed to Europe, perhaps even finding Britain.

Fabius
The leader of Hannibal's cavalry.

And, of course:
HANNIBAL!

So...

Hamilcar and Hasdrubal are both accounted for, unless we want to reuse names.
Old November 10, 2002, 14:43   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

In-fighting already!

I'm Bob, a traveling peddler who sells your tribe cheap goods at exhorbant prices while secretly spying on you for my own civilization...................
Old November 10, 2002, 15:05   #12
History Guy
King

(Suddenly, a block of limestone drops on Genghis from a great height...someone has found out his secret!)
Old November 10, 2002, 15:30   #13
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 11:44
I am Hastragal Giscar. The Giscar family is as old as the tribe, and it is the only reason why the tribe let us on the leaf-where-all-family-totems-are-drawn (it is a Carthaginian word meaning roster), because we have never done anything really useful for the community, nor have any particular talent which could be necessary in the future. But who knows ? Nevertheless, as I wanted that my family makes honestly a living, I tried to find a way to be useful to our beloved Tyrant, and I discovered that he had a lot of problems in keeping track of his live-stock. When you have three goats and one horse, it is quite easy, but a serious Tyrant has many, many of each, and he wants to know how many have been stolen, have died, or have simply been eaten by hungry neighbours when he was in business trip. The magnitude of the difficulty will appear when you will know the live-stock includes :
- the horses
- the camels
- the goats
- the slaves
- the children
- the wives
In the day to day life of the tribe, when you are asked What do you have? Or What do you want?, you answer one, a pair (also a couple is said in the suburbs), a brelan (a friend of mine developed a game using the Carthaginian vocabulary), a few (which means more than a brelan and less than the fingers of two hands), many (which means more than a few), plenty (more than many), or a loooooot (more than plenty). I intend to make all that more precise and reliable thanks to my I.B.M. (Inventory Balancing Manoeuvres) apparatus consisting of a line of a looooot of men extending their arms, hands and fingers; I have just to fold the first finger of the first man when the first item of inventory leaves the stable, and so on; after the last item, I am in front of the man I have just folded a finger, and I paint on his forehead (for the horses, left cheek for the camels, etc) as many lines as he has fingers folded. When the horses come back, I do the same, and I am able to immediately see if one or more are missing : this apparatus has memory built in ! I have strong hopes that our beloved Tyrant will appreciate such a breakthrough.

Last edited by DAVOUT; November 10, 2002 at 15:50.
Old November 10, 2002, 16:09   #14
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
live-stock includes :
- the wives
Interesting society you have here............
Old November 10, 2002, 17:10   #15
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Interesting society you have here............
I'm going to marry my cousin!
Old November 10, 2002, 21:36   #16
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

those Carthaginians sure liked names that start with "H". As much as I don't care to play as Spain, I'd much prefer their names.

Is there any way to pretend we are the Spanish pretending we are the Carthaginians
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 10, 2002, 22:19   #17
History Guy
King

If we play Spain, and I highly doubt we will:

Hernan de History Guy Calamari:

I was born in Madrid, and went into the family business, which is primarily the squid trade. Ah yes, the squid trade, open seas, squids, the gulls, etc. Squids are important to all Spanish people as food, sources of ink, and very loving pets. In fact, my nickname is 'the Squid'. Despite being generally disliked by many of the higher class members of the Spanish empire, I do have some small political powers, mainly due to my deceased father, Don Calamari, who was the mayor of Madrid very briefly before he was exiled into the squid trade. I am rather rich now, of course, with my squid business doing so well, and have been known to curry favor with local politicians with gold or squid meat.

Last edited by History Guy; November 10, 2002 at 22:58.
Old November 10, 2002, 22:33   #18
pikesfan
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

If you allow hangers-on, I would like to join the Role Play team just because your role-playing is so imaginative. Perhaps I could be a Tuareg tribesman who came in from a camel caravan from the Sahara and was so impressed with the Carthaginian civilization that he joined the Numidian guard.

I would have to change my flag; I don't think there are many Tuareg in Canada
Old November 10, 2002, 22:38   #19
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
If we play Spain, and I highly doubt we will:

Hernan de History Guy Calamari:

Former squid salesman, conquistador, man of letters, historian, speech writer, harbor defense commander, and now a Duke. I am also an avid sportsmen...hunting game, playing polo, chess, and I am the greatest midget tosser in all Spain. They call me 'The Squid' for obvious reasons, and I am well known as a playwright, and despite the fact that all my work is ghastly rubbish, everyone praises it.
This raised a question to my mind

why must anyone feel so powerful, well liked, and experienced?

Cant ya settle for something humble?
Old November 10, 2002, 22:42   #20
History Guy
King

Ninot-- No, sir. You miss the point. Calamari is supposed to be an upper-class jerk.

Besides, I like eccentrics.

And how is he "well-liked"?
Old November 10, 2002, 22:45   #21
History Guy
King

Ninot: I edited it. Happy now?
Old November 10, 2002, 22:46   #22
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Ninot-- No, sir. You miss the point. Calamari is supposed to be an upper-class jerk.
No, i got that point

but im talking, in general... must we all be supremely powerful or somewhere near there?

We may all be Dukes, or something of the like... but, what I am asking is, is it very realistic if we are as flawless as we chose to be? Thats not realistic at all! If anyof us should somehow dislike a fellow member... all we would have to do to "be better" than them would be to STATE we got a new honorary post as Dean of Three local Universities.

Humbly, I propose we implement rules to exactly how talented our characters may be. Its realistic, and thus, allows for more believeable ROLES.
Old November 10, 2002, 22:47   #23
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Ninot: I edited it. Happy now?
yes, but no, its nothing against you man... im just saying, if we want to be playing believeable roles, we shouldnt be able to occupy 101 jobs.
Old November 10, 2002, 22:50   #24
Ninot
Emperor

Oh, and in response to something i missed...

your character was Well Liked because, as you stated, despite the fact that all my work is ghastly rubbish, it's successful
Old November 10, 2002, 22:53   #25
History Guy
King

Alright. I'll change the character. There isn't much point in him, though, I think. We aren't going to play Spain, I think.
Old November 11, 2002, 01:04   #26
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Arnelos-- Wait! I'm Hamilcar!!
You will note that the most famous Carthagians are composed of:

6 Hamilcars
8 Hasdrubals
2 Margos
3 Hannibals

That's only the most famous... among the others, the names Hamilcar, Hasdrubal, Hannibal, Bomilcar, Hanno, and Margo are used so many times that it's downright nauseating

So, will we repeat first names.... if we intend to role-play, and we do, YOU BET!
Old November 12, 2002, 01:03   #27
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
I fully intend to post on this topic, but I'll wait until we have our own forum.

But until then, I may just edit this post and include some interesting tidbits of information about Togas the First, the tribal leader who took over this Phoenician colony and guided it during it's first steps towards Civilization.

I will simply be known as "Togas" or "Togas the Great" depending on how my reign turns out. Great historical figures tend to be known by only one name.

But I'll dwell on this some more. If I don't flesh out the
"family name" more here, I will in our forum's topped character thread.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old November 15, 2002, 13:12   #28
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 11:44
(I gotta change the name if we are not being Spanish)

Plutiin Plagiatum Perilius

As a kid, Plutiin was experimenting with all kinds of stuff he found dangerous. Because of this other kids feared him and he got no friends. He played all kinds of dirty tricks on them, and they sometimes got hurt by acid or dozens of rock projectiles...
As he grew bigger he had to do military service. He thought the other warriors were stupid and used primitive weapons.
He liked flames and lightning, and wished he could cast such things upon others.

One day he fell in love with a girl from another clan,
Dolorosa Gravida Colossa. The Gravidas were a rich and powerful clan. The Plagiatum clan had a bad reputation and deserved no right to live, so her clan would surely kill Plutiinand perhaps other Plagiates if he got involved with her...

The young girl liked Plutiin because he was so curious and inventive. She didn't see the dark spot in his mind, though. Creating a machinery of death and destruction was one of his long nearly forgotten dreams. He wanted to raise his dead ancestor, curse his opponents, and so on.
He did not speak of it to anyone, but instead gave Dolorosa flowers and a kitten. And then they kissed.
Dolorosa melted, and she ran away with him for a year...
(perhaps she is pregnant now?)

But now Plutiin is back and wearing a black robe and a thick beard...

Last edited by ThePlagueRat; November 18, 2002 at 13:15.
Old November 17, 2002, 08:22   #29
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:44
Well if Spain is the choice, I am Señor WhereItsAt, aka SrWIA. Bio to follow.

If you choose Carthage, well I don't need to concern myself with a bio as I will be in Lux Invicta.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!