Old November 10, 2002, 00:08   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 10:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: NetJak PtW Review...
Hmm.....IMO you didnt read the review. He says the replay vlaue is great, but that PtW just doesnt ADD MUCH to the replay value.

Anyway, I think he sums up my opinions for not buying it perfectly. The single player additions (IMO) are just not worth it, and I wont be playing multiplayer anytime soon (And even if I were.....I hate waiting for things to work, much less a game that should work out of the box.)

But thats just my opinion, which probably vastly differs from everyone elses opinion
Old November 10, 2002, 00:15   #2
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 05:45
Yeah I read it, but all the sp additions do add to replay, because I wasn't play much before the expansion, only an occasional game now and then. But with new civs and tweaked AI its made me want to play again, but thats just my opinion too, heh.
Old November 10, 2002, 00:16   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 10:45
Quote:
Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
Yeah I read it, but all the sp additions do add to replay, because I wasn't play much before the expansion, only an occasional game now and then. But with new civs and tweaked AI its made me want to play again, but thats just my opinion too, heh.
Well...Whatever lets you have fun is fine with me.

*Maximizes his game against Sister Miriam of the Believers....*
Old November 10, 2002, 01:12   #4
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 04:45
Who the heck is "NetJak"? I have been gaming for nearly 25 years and never have I heard of NetJak. Says alot about them...probably some lame teenage kids who started a website of their own...LOL. The real reviews come from one place... this forum and the true fans who play this game day in and day out.
Old November 10, 2002, 01:38   #5
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Most of the SP stuff in xpack, you can imitate even without it, so if you want you can spare urself the 30 bucks right now if ur considering it! Heck, if you have a friend who owns ptw, download their unit, civ sprite, mod it, mod wonder that gives research lab (internet) and just play without the three new terrain improvement. Hurray you got urself a semi-xpack! Heck even if you dont have a friend just mod it anyway with dummy sprites, it wont look as pretty but it still works. Its really not worth it to pay 30 bucks to see berserkers prancing around or Ragnar talking to me. Hell, duped Caesar could pretend to be Ragnar, it doesnt matter its free.

Until multiplayer is good to go, I suggest you folks to hold you cash real tight. Heck, price may fall before all the patching makes multiplayer appraochable so theres an additional reason.
Old November 10, 2002, 01:38   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:45
Just because youve never heard of them means didley squat, hell i may aswell say all the "reputable" games websites are corrupt too. I thought it was an alright review, he made a good point that most other infogrames games werent rushed so badly, and basically points out that maybe firaxis simply didnt meet the release date from the beginning, ask yourself that one.

But i too trust the fans here more than any game reviewer, except the infinite praise from fan-boys comments i couldnt give a rats arse.
Old November 10, 2002, 06:27   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:45
Can't simulate the AI, which has been ratcheted up yet another notch. I'd pay for that by itself.

But if you're on a budget, it always pays to wait until the price drops.
Old November 10, 2002, 10:42   #8
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 07:45
PtW reviews are like a**es: everyone has one and most of the time it doesn't smell good.

Old November 10, 2002, 11:30   #9
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

It comes down to this:

Until they fix the MP, we paid $30US for what should have been a $10US add-on. A few new civs, a couple of units packs, and some minor interface enhancements are not worth what we have paid. Yes they did make an improvement over Civ3, but the numerous patches they have released have done the same. I feel a bit cheated having to pay so much for a glorified patch.
Old November 10, 2002, 11:32   #10
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 11:45
I agree that it is worth it for the single player stuff alone, but I fully understand the disapointment of those who wanted internet MP.

ChaotikVisions thanks for your comments about Mikes Story in the chat room the other day, I dont know if you saw my response to you cause Im not sure how to use the chat controls properly but thanks anyway.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.