Old November 11, 2002, 01:54   #31
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ah, from my readings here, it seemed that the AI generally skipped it in favor of non-dead-end techs.

Though it is possible I misread the writings here.

I love these forums.
Old November 11, 2002, 14:43   #32
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:45
Ducki, I tired to get this in yeterday, but the server was mean.
Anyway I wanted to point out to you that you should not fall into a trap of thinking the Great Lib will always allow you to use the low or no research until ED. I just ran into the trap. If you are against only one real strong AI, you will not get the techs in time to build the wonders. I have to go to doing my own research as one civ started building Leo's and I was more than 20 turns from the tech and other civ did not look to be getting it soon. I cranked up and got in in 4 turns and used a leader to built it. Now I am doing my own research from now on and the GL got me almost nothing.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav mao of the chinese, 840 ad.sav (200.6 KB, 0 views)
Old November 11, 2002, 14:59   #33
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:45
I've just been coming to that conclusion, myself, vmxa1.

I got lucky in this game from Lit to Education in that all the civs were trading amongst themselves rabidly.

Then again, I got unlucky for the same reason in that it severely shortened the timespan between Lit and Edu, messing up my normal phase of (relatively) peaceful and (normally) almost complete improvement buildout in most of my cities.

As soon as this game is a forgone conclusion, either as a win or a loss, I think I'll go back to Regent PTW and play Random civs until I have a stronger grasp on the what, how, and why of various things in the game - what does the AI like to do(trade, research, war, build, etc), how do I make the most of my own strengths (no matter what Civ I play or who my neighbors are) and why certain things work and others don't.

I'm really enjoying wearing the mantle of a more war-loving leader in drawing the Chinese this time around and I think I'd like to give war a chance on a level that I don't have to struggle and scrabble for every bit of progress, at least until I get better at managing both the War Department and the Public Works Department of my empire.

But for now, I'll forge on.
I really must get that FP Built, but Aztec just beat me to Leo's by 2 bloody turns so I'm taking a loss on all but 2 shields worth of work.

I can't get anyone to sell me Banking+WhateverTechHas Adam Smith's, so I am just going to lose all those dang shields.

Anyway, that pissed me off, so I think as soon as my Peace Treaty from my latest Aztec conquest is up I'm taking Leo's away from him, but I gotta wait for Cavalry, since everyone has Gunpower....unless.... maybe I actually took Monte's only Saltpeter.....

Eeeexxxxcellent....
Muwaahahahahahahahahaha!
Old November 11, 2002, 16:32   #34
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:45
I am not one of the big FP sweaters. I mean I do not pull my hair out if I do not get to when I get 8 or more cities. If you look at the game I posted, I have not started it yet. I intend to now, but I was at war and was adding cities and felt with the GA, I would rather wait. I had hope to get a leader for the job, but that did not happen. So I lost some to corruption, but it will not hurt. At monarch, you have a lot of slack to mess around. I already have the game locked and never started any wars. The bad news is it will be harder to get Japan to start one.