Old March 9, 2000, 16:32   #1
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Anyone else noticed this?
How come the combat odds for Psi combat are so far out? In my last game, I was regularly winning battles where the odds were 7 to 23 against me, and 2 to 3 odds are certain victories. On the other hand, my chopper unit died at odds of about 23 to 13.
Old March 9, 2000, 17:02   #2
YT

I have noticed that (at least in SMACX) the Planet rating bonus doesn't seem to be calculated into the odds. Several times before I noticed this, I would be slaughtering mindworms when odds were 3/2 and I had Green on, then the next turn I would be massacared at the same odds after switching to FM. This may account for at least dome of what you were seeing.

Also, I'm not sure if the difference for different reactors is correctly calculated for PSI combat. If it is not, then a 2/3 could easily be won with a Fusion Reactor unit, while a 1/1 might be lost by a fission reactor unit. I do remember someone posting that psi combat always treats units involved as if the had 10 hits, but I've never seen anything to indicate that this is true in gaming.

------------------
Yours Truly

Old March 9, 2000, 17:50   #3
Jasonian
King

Local Time: 20:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
*sigh* I'm the only one that knows this answer.

The new reactors, in fact, do not aid in PSI combat, since it is on a 10 point system. This is fact.

HOWEVER, the game 'overlooks' this when calculating odds. Fusion infantry against mind worm (with same morale) is really 3:2, but the game thinks it is 6:2 when calculating odds.

Aside from the odds, PSI combat works how it should.
Old March 9, 2000, 19:21   #4
WhiteElephants
King

I've noticed, in PSI combat, that after the initial damage is taken by a unit with a fussion reactor its hit points drop dramatically from 20 to about 8 which, to me, shows that the program "corrects" itself after damage is dealt. I have noticed that the odds are usually off when my faction is operating under green economics aswell and if the defender/attacker has a fussion reactor or better.
Old March 10, 2000, 05:36   #5
Helium Pond
Prince

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
And another thing--I've noticed that whenever it says the odds are even, like 1 to 1, or 7 to 7 (and why doesn't it turn "7 to 7" into "1 to 1"?), you better not attack or you'll lose every time. For some reason, even odds mean there's no chance. It seems to me it should mean it's 50/50, but experience tells me otherwise.
Old March 10, 2000, 12:38   #6
Master Marcus
Prince

Yes, and especially when attacking a FUNGAL TOWER - do not dare to destroy any unless the odds are at least 2:1 for you or wait for fusion reactor. The +50% tower defense seems to be exponentialy more powerful than indicated.
That famous Psi odds bug must be corrected within the next v3 patch.

------------------
The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".
Old March 10, 2000, 23:01   #7
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 21:39
I don't look at the odds for precisely these reasons: I know what units get which bonuses just by looking at them and the surrounding terrain; that's enough for me.
Old March 11, 2000, 20:35   #8
Jasonian
King

Master Marcus, if you would have read my above post, you would know that fusion reaction do not increase your odds of victory. Instead of taking 3 points of damage per "loss" in the fight, you will take 6.
Old March 12, 2000, 11:02   #9
TigToad
Prince

Local Time: 18:39
I always have great fun with Fungal towers. If they're in a zone i want to expand to, I just send a former or two out to the area and start substituting all that nice fungus for forest.. until one of my scout units can get around to removing the nasty obstruction to my growth plans. I needed to remove that fungus anyway, and the baby towers are easy to take out.

On the other hand, if its not a place I really want to expand to, I'll leave them in place, even later in the game add fungus around them use them as 'free' defensive military units on my borders. Of course they don't do much after air drops anyway..sigh

Tig
Old March 12, 2000, 20:50   #10
Master Marcus
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Jasonian on 03-11-2000 07:35 PM
Master Marcus, if you would have read my above post, you would know that fusion reaction do not increase your odds of victory. Instead of taking 3 points of damage per "loss" in the fight, you will take 6.

Nonetheless, an average morale R:2 unit will eradicate a Tower - the +10 power is that much needed even if rapidly consumed. In some of my previous games, I tried 3 and even 4 R:1 units before tearing down a Tower: the lower your morale, the more exponential damage you'll take before weakening it. That's why I don't bother at the first stage of the game; now I let the Towers intact until I have R:2 air units.