Old November 10, 2002, 21:39   #1
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Tied Poll: Map Specs. What now
Official Poll: Map Specs:
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=66457

I suggest we discuss it this time, before we poll.
Old November 10, 2002, 21:41   #2
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 11:47
Old November 10, 2002, 21:46   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I agree with Random land mass and water coverage.

I disagree with random climate, temperature and age. Here's why...

Starting in tundra would be nearly the end of the game for that unlucky civ. You just can't do anything with it for far too long. Desert would be bad enough, but at least with desert there is a good chance of rivers and flood plains.

The solution to this? Warm temperature. The caps are minimised or eliminated altogether. With warm you would use Normal climate and 4 billion (defaults). If you chose wet you will have no tundra and no desert (likely). That means 0 oil in some games. Oops.

So I say Random land mass and water, choose Normal climate and 4 billion years. Choose Warm temperature.

Wouldn't it be just great to pick all random and have archi, arid, cool, 3 billion? NOT!

What do you think?
Old November 10, 2002, 21:48   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:47
But that would be picking. If you remember, neither random nor picking won.

This thread is about what to do about THAT issue, not to press your map agenda. Doing so would be throwing out the results of the poll.
Old November 10, 2002, 21:53   #5
notyoueither
Deity

What result? It was tied. It must be redone, no?

And yes, a discussion is for pressing your views and discussing them with others along with theirs. I think that's how it works.
Old November 10, 2002, 21:57   #6
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

I'm all for you notyoueither is saying.
The reason I voted no random in the first place is because there wasn't a compromise built into the poll.

I hate the idea of random climate because it maximizes the chances of a bad start location (which might not prove insurmountable in a SP game but probably will in MP). I also never play anything but worlds of 4 billion years because, again, I didn't buy the game to battle the elements (play the elements ), but I really wouldn't mind a random layout for the landmasses.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 10, 2002, 22:02   #7
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Random landmass is a given.
Old November 10, 2002, 22:06   #8
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Random landmass is a given.
alright...

"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 10, 2002, 22:08   #9
Jon Shafer

But I agree with that also. I'm a vehement supporter of random landmass, you must understand.
Old November 10, 2002, 22:24   #10
notyoueither
Deity

I understand that, but some others may not be.

I can live with it.
Old November 10, 2002, 23:09   #11
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:47
I say we repoll !
OR we make a group poll on every precise issue like :

"What should our climate be ?"
Group A : cold
Group A : normal
Group A : warm
Group B : random

It might end up in a full randomization, but at least it would get things done. (Sad turn of events, since I'm a partisan of fixed settings )
Old November 10, 2002, 23:21   #12
Jon Shafer

Unless anyone has objections, I'll start a poll with it based upon each individual issue, where people will be allowed to vote random as well.
Old November 10, 2002, 23:30   #13
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Can't be too cold, but I'd not be happy with too warm a climate, either. Jungles are pretty miserable.
Old November 10, 2002, 23:41   #14
notyoueither
Deity

Jungles, desert, and rivers are a function of Dry/Normal/Wet.

Temperature controls Tundra/Grass/Plains.

/Edit. Doing some additional checking.

The ratios of Grass and Plains seem to bounce around with both Climate and Temperature.

Jungles and Desert are most effected by Climate.

Tundra is most effected by Temperature.

I have not looked for effects on forest.

Last edited by notyoueither; November 11, 2002 at 00:01.
Old November 11, 2002, 00:53   #15
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:47
NYE,

Wet DOES NOT MEAN that there is less oil. The total number of oil resources (or any resource) is set by the number of players, not the number of available tiles. Then the oil is distributed to available tiles.

Yes, this CAN mean that almost all of the world's oil supply is hoarded into a few tiles of desert in one location and a few tiles of tundra in another (I've seen this happen).

I say we go WET regardless.
Old November 11, 2002, 01:07   #16
notyoueither
Deity

There have been reports of 'No Oil' games when using Wet and Warm. Luck of the draw. It can happen with that combination.

What happens is that there are so few tundra/desert tiles that none gets placed at the beginning. Since none are there to disappear, then none appear. Or something like that. However, it does happen.
Old November 11, 2002, 01:08   #17
notyoueither
Deity

Wet also encourages the proliferation of jungle.

Who here wants their team to start where Apolytonia started in the C3DG?
Old November 11, 2002, 01:39   #18
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:47
Old November 11, 2002, 01:44   #19
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I agree with Spiffor
Old November 11, 2002, 07:33   #20
notyoueither
Deity

You 2 are being sarcastic, or you are insane.

I'll put my money on sarcastic.
Old November 11, 2002, 08:00   #21
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
You 2 are being sarcastic, or you are insane.

I'll put my money on sarcastic.
Wet. Its the only way to encourage rivers. Other than splitting nye's head open and creating a river of blood that is...........

What? I don't have anything to worry about. He's already put me on "his list". The most he can do is bump me to the top, and that would require him renaming his team.
Old November 11, 2002, 08:01   #22
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

I'm beginning to prefer normal climate 4 billion yrs. True it means their will be some tundra/jungle but it lessens the possibility of someone starting near a lot of either one. It also reduces the risk of complete lack of resources.
Old November 11, 2002, 08:14   #23
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
What? I don't have anything to worry about. He's already put me on "his list". The most he can do is bump me to the top, and that would require him renaming his team.
Old November 11, 2002, 08:26   #24
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Wet. Its the only way to encourage rivers. Other than splitting nye's head open and creating a river of blood that is...........

You are going out of your way, aintchya buddy?

Pleased to oblige.

When do you want to meet for the duel?
Old November 11, 2002, 08:42   #25
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Although I like the idea of a random map, I’d like to avoid extreme cases for this game. A cold, arid, min water archipelago where you start on a frozen island wouldn’t be all that fun in MP. Yes in SP it’s a “good challenge”, and I enjoy it, but I’d like an MP game to be as easily matched as possible. Let’s not romanticize the “random map”, it may add flare to SP, but it could just add frustration to MP. We’re going to spend A LOT of time on this game let’s try to make it as even as possible.

At least that’s my 2 cents.
Old November 11, 2002, 08:44   #26
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
Although I like the idea of a random map, I’d like to avoid extreme cases for this game. A cold, arid, min water archipelago where you start on a frozen island wouldn’t be all that fun in MP. Yes in SP it’s a “good challenge”, and I enjoy it, but I’d like an MP game to be as easily matched as possible. Let’s not romanticize the “random map”, it may add flare to SP, but it could just add frustration to MP. We’re going to spend A LOT of time on this game let’s try to make it as even as possible.

At least that’s my 2 cents.
Couldn't have said it any better
Old November 11, 2002, 08:46   #27
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

You are going out of your way, aintchya buddy?

Pleased to oblige.

When do you want to meet for the duel?
Oooohhhh, a duel!

Old November 11, 2002, 12:48   #28
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 10:47
Voting on individual issues is a good idea. I have also posted another Idea in the failed poll. Vote based on teams. We have 5 teams and we would get a definative answer.
Old November 11, 2002, 13:18   #29
Jon Shafer

Okay, this thread is descending into anarchy, I'm going to set up the new poll. NYE, go get your argument ready.