Old November 10, 2002, 23:02   #1
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 04:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
a rep hit for the wrong reason
this some seriously stupid crap.

In my current game I'm playing the Mongols on emperor, and generally, I haven't been doing bad. But I started to wonder why other nations were wary about trading luxuries with me. Everything else didn't seem to be a problem.

Once upon a time, I was trading with Spain (some time ago in terms of the game), and my nearest neighbors, the big bad Zulus, decided it was time to ask me for a little tribute. Well, I told the to go f*** themselves and proceeded to take several of their cities and raze several more.

All the while, I'm not thinking I've done anything wrong. After all, they declared war on me . But apparently, they were my only way of trading with Spain and as the lines of trade were severed during the war, I was slapped with a bad reputation for something I had no part in.

This is a flaw in the game. The 20 turn trade deal shouldn't be hardcoded anyway, but since it is, reputation hits should be reconfigured around the notion of whether or not I had any control in the matter.

Come on, firaxis! I wasting literally hours of time here trying to play a straight game, not step on any toes I don't mean to step on, and you've got it programmed to hate me for things I can't help. Stupid!
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 10, 2002, 23:31   #2
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
yes, this is a big problem.

That said, I certainly use this trick to my advantage agaisnt the AI....

i would hope that somehow this aspect can be rectified and improved, that the AI would be acknowldege the reasons for breaking a treaty and act accordingly.
Old November 10, 2002, 23:52   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:48
If you would have paid the Zulu, you wouldn't have had a rep hit.

You are now paying the price, for not paying the price

The reason, I guess they did it this was (firaxis) is to counter the possible exploits. But yes, sometimes, it IS
Old November 10, 2002, 23:55   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
If you would have paid the Zulu, you wouldn't have had a rep hit.

You are now paying the price, for not paying the price

The reason, I guess they did it this was (firaxis) is to counter the possible exploits. But yes, sometimes, it IS
good point, that would be a cheap way of getting out of a deal. still, if one AI declares war on you and its not your fault, the ex trade partner should take that into consideration
Old November 11, 2002, 00:41   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 06:48
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
alva, that was EXACTLY my reaction... I've never really commented on this aspect before, and I know it really POs some people (including Arrian), BUT... it's all part of the in-game geo-politics. Either accept that, and include the impact in your decision-making, or pay the price. And yes, sometimes you will get screwed, for reasons beyond your control... too bad.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 11, 2002, 00:47   #6
YC4B4U
Warlord

Local Time: 20:18
Think of it this way:

If you set up the deal again after the war, and then a second war breaks out, they lose the luxury again. So it is really an insurance policy against losing the trade route again.

It is pretty clumsy way of doing reputation I admit...
Old November 11, 2002, 05:34   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:48
I thought razing cities was not looked upon with favor at any time?
Old November 11, 2002, 07:01   #8
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 11:48
I totally agree that the favour thing in civ3 needs some work. I've had the same problem of having my deals broken by others and getting the blame. Now, I wouldn't mind it in MP, because humans can understand that and you can explain it. But the AI doesn't really care itself. In fact I can't remeber game I finished in which there was an AI left with a good reputation. They had all either screwed me over or accidently screwed someone else over by means ruby_master has mentioned. In the end everyone distrusts everyone, even their allies, and never forget the atrosity of 4000 years ago. A bit of a shame, really.

I take it there is noe way to fix this in a patch or it would have been done long before. I don't remember the SMAC reputation being so ficle.