Old November 10, 2002, 23:46   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Switching Between Hotseat and Single-Player
Okay, I know there's some way to switch from a hotseat to a regular Single-Player game like before PTW, but I can't seem to find it. I've tried loading a hotseat .SAV into the PTW Multiplayer screen, changed it from hotseat to turn-based, then set all the players to computer. However, whenever I check the box at the top to set myself ready for the game, it defaults back to the human hotseat players.
Old November 10, 2002, 23:55   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:48
load it up in single player mode?
Or am I missing something here? (not having the game and all)
Old November 11, 2002, 00:03   #3
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

It plays the game as hotseat like that the same as if you loaded it through the PTW MP menu.
Old November 11, 2002, 00:32   #4
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

Local Time: 05:48
I haven't tried it, but I would assume You would have to change it from like .HOT to .SAV in the saves Folder.

Try that andtell me how it works.
Old November 11, 2002, 00:57   #5
Jon Shafer

From what I can tell, it saved it as a .SAV, and not a .HOT.
Old November 11, 2002, 01:33   #6
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

it saves every type of game as a .sav
Old November 11, 2002, 03:32   #7
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

You are right if I have time I will play with it tomarrow, from what I understand, if you put in an admin code than you can change a player from human to comp, however everytime you retire all you cities become ruins so I don't know!
Old November 11, 2002, 17:10   #8
Jon Shafer

Admin code where?
Old November 12, 2002, 02:03   #9
Wise Ass
Prince

When you set up the game it asks for an admin code or pass first, I think that is part of it. I didn't have time today so maybe tomarrow.
Old November 12, 2002, 04:00   #10
Jon Shafer

Okay, but where do you plug that in when you want to change from human to AI?

Has no one an answer for me!!!

Old November 12, 2002, 20:41   #11
joespaniel
Settler

Local Time: 04:48
Im bumping this because I want to know also.

*bump*

And, maybe someone knows how to give an AI civ to a human player in PBEM (and vice-versa), if thats possible.
Old December 28, 2002, 19:47   #12
Rusty Nail
Warlord

Local Time: 11:48
It was mentioned in another thread (and it works) that you can switch from hot seat to SP if you go into ANY old saved SP game and from there load a saved hotseat game (clearly a bug, but a useful one). Contrary to the manual p. 39, this is the only way to do it as far as I know.

HOWEVER, has anyone found a way to go the OTHER way, i.e. from a saved SP game to hotseat? This was easy in civ2 as you simply saved it as a scenario and reloaded it as hotseat. But I have not found a way to do it in civ3. By the way, is there a way to save a game as a scenario? If I specify "hotseat" on multiplayer and load an SP save, I get overwrites in the player setup and the same old SP game. It is a very useful function to have in debugging mods so you can check on what the AI's are doing in specific situations. Any help would be appreciated.
Old December 28, 2002, 23:22   #13
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 10:48
I played a simulteanous mode game and accidentally loaded it as a SP game, no problem. Tried an SP game to convert to hot seat - crash! ( I would love to play one of the weak AIs vs my former empire, I just wanted to change the human player by that)
Old December 29, 2002, 09:18   #14
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 02:48
Anyway to get more than 8 players in hotseat or any multiplayer version?
Old December 29, 2002, 10:07   #15
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Nail
It was mentioned in another thread (and it works) that you can switch from hot seat to SP if you go into ANY old saved SP game and from there load a saved hotseat game (clearly a bug, but a useful one). Contrary to the manual p. 39, this is the only way to do it as far as I know.

HOWEVER, has anyone found a way to go the OTHER way, i.e. from a saved SP game to hotseat? This was easy in civ2 as you simply saved it as a scenario and reloaded it as hotseat. But I have not found a way to do it in civ3. By the way, is there a way to save a game as a scenario? If I specify "hotseat" on multiplayer and load an SP save, I get overwrites in the player setup and the same old SP game. It is a very useful function to have in debugging mods so you can check on what the AI's are doing in specific situations. Any help would be appreciated.
The same is true for MP-turnbased/simultaneous to PBEM. It would be nice if you could switch between these modes which I just tried. You can switch from MP to PBEM by loading the MP game in MP setup as a PBEM game. From that point onwards you can play the game in PBEM mode. The other way around does not work. You can load the PBEM game and switch to turnbased in the setup screen but when the other player(s) try to connect they get the message "this game is full, you can not connect" or something similar.

If anyone finds a way around this I would appreciate to know how this can be done.

There is another disadvantage to switching from MP to PBEM (which in itself is great functionality). I was unable to set passwords. This means that if you do not select "Save & exit" but "Continue game" the game converts to the next player without asking for a password. But hey... this is minor as long as all players agree not to do that, right?
Old December 29, 2002, 10:15   #16
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrodrew
Anyway to get more than 8 players in hotseat or any multiplayer version?
No, AFAIK MP games are limited to 8 players and if I remember correctly when asked in a chat Firaxis people said there were no plans to change that.