View Poll Results: Where should the science slider be placed?
0% (with 1 sci spec): 38 turns; +977 LPT 14 40.00%
10%: 22 Turns; +874 LPT 1 2.86%
20%: 11 turns; +772 LPT 1 2.86%
30%: 8 turns; +660LPT 0 0%
40%: 6 turns; +555LPT 1 2.86%
50%: 5 turns; +435LPT 3 8.57%
60%: 4 turns; +347LPT 15 42.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 12, 2002, 16:26   #31
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by dejon
I'm in shock here people! I can't believe this poll is tied and so many people just don't get it.

We MUST have scientific independance from the AI.

If we continue to buy from the AI and do not produce any research ourselves, we hurt ourselves and help them. More money for them means:
- more improvements
- more units
- greater ease of continued research
- ability to buy things from other AI civs

Stop looking at the numbers people - and start thinking about the power we are handing the AI every time we buy tech.
On the other hand, we save roughly half the cost of the tech by buying it instead of researching it ourselves. If we set the slider to 60% we'd lose incredible amounts of money, whereas if we keep the slider at 0% and buy techs we SAVE money. More money that we save means:
- More scientific improvements that will give us a much better shot against the AI in research after we buy all the techs.
- Funding for more units for the war with Germany, which will paralyze the world's largest researcher and leave that position to us!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old November 12, 2002, 16:47   #32
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
Again I propose a runoff between 0% and 60%.
Shiber, we're constitutionally required to hold a turnchat this weekend. So either the results of a runoff poll would affect the turnchat next week (after this next one) or we just just hold a run-off poll that will be a Senate Bill under the new constitution... a Senate Bill that will be a NON-BINDING SUGGESTION to the President, likely Aggie - due to the fact that hte President makes the decision under the NewCon.

Just letting you know...
Old November 12, 2002, 16:50   #33
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I'm thinking we should set the slider to 0% and buy both techs as cheaply as possible now. (Roughly 125 GPT?)

Then look and see what Industrial techs we don't have, and buy them all as well (as cheaply as possible)

With a current income of 977 GPT, we can afford to buy all the techs we are lacking now in GPT deals,

(Nationalism will probably run about 125 GPT. If they have Medicine, my guess is that will run about 90 GPT. )

If they have Steam Power, it should run about 175 GPT if they are willing to sell at all. (Steam Power sometimes gets placed on the AI's unsellable list.)

This looks somewhat expensive, but this is far less expensive than reseraching these techs. (And in addition we get them all now instead of 12+ turns from now.)
Old November 12, 2002, 17:02   #34
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:48
Quote:
PEOPLE - look at the numbers!
It would cost us roughly 2,500 lytons to research Theory of Gravity on our own, or we could buy it from Greece for 1,400 lytons. We can then take the remaining 1,100 lytons and invest them in libraries and universities!!
Why do you insist on wasting so much money??
Although I was a proponent of maxing out the science slider, it was only because I thoght that we could reap the advantages of techwhoring. It's a gamble that can pay off handsomely. I voted for 0% science, I favor buying our way out of the Middle Ages. We should when possible buy from the technologically backwards civs, but buying gives us the possiblity of maxing out science when we're researching Medicine and techwhoring it and possibly other techs in the Industrial Ages

Last edited by realpolitic; November 12, 2002 at 17:37.
Old November 12, 2002, 18:01   #35
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Just letting you know...
Sure, thanks for the tip.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old November 13, 2002, 10:41   #36
Shiber
Emperor

It's a draw.
The chat is in more than 48 hours. We still have time for a runoff poll.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old November 13, 2002, 11:46   #37
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 06:48
Quote:
It's a draw.
The chat is in more than 48 hours. We still have time for a runoff poll.
Votes are still coming in and the couple of votes for the middle ground might tilt the issue one way or the other.

If the VP wished to refine and repost a runoff for this poll, he's welcome to, But I'm not sure if that is covered by either CoL. Either way, the time gets short to the turnchat, which is about 53 hours away.

* E_T Suddenly Realizes that beause of the issues that will be looked at this upcoming turnchat, it might have a record attendance.

E_T
Old November 13, 2002, 12:17   #38
Shiber
Emperor

Oh, come on! We can't decide on such an important issue over the tip of one vote (although it's legal).
- Phantom of the Opera
Old November 13, 2002, 12:24   #39
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

I agree, we should have a run-off pole, and quickly. Although rushed it should more accurately reflect public opinion than a 1 (or 2) vote margin in this pole.
Old November 13, 2002, 13:33   #40
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Prediction based on current 14-1-1-0-1-3-15

Runoff would run 16 - 18 with 1 that could go either way.

Middle of the road is actually the worst of the options because with no research we can buy 2 techs now with a GPT deal, with 60% we can buy 1 tech now with a GPT deal and have the other in 4 turns. With 30% we buy 1 tech now with a reserach deal and don't get the other until 8 turns from now.
Old November 13, 2002, 13:44   #41
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

1. That's probably why there are very few votes for the middle of the road options (none at 30%) and no one has really suggested it as a solution.
2. We can't just say "this vote will probably go here", it just doesn't work that way.
3. I'd also like to think that more people will come to their senses and decide to by the techs (0% sci)
Old November 13, 2002, 15:14   #42
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 04:48
Ok, folks, I have been arguing for 0% because that's the way the poll was stated.

My real position has always been

This turn:buy 1 tech from somebody preferably Greece or Rome mix of cash and gpt
Next Turn:buy remaining era tech from the other for mix of cash and gpt

Determine our tech situation by chating with the big 4

If Nationalism is the only one we lack, see if we can "Do it in 4" and if so gopher it!

If they have more, ... end chat and regroup.

roadcage
Old November 13, 2002, 15:57   #43
Shiber
Emperor

I'll be away for the next few days. If you decide to start a run-off poll, please add one vote for 0% in my name.
Thanks.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old November 14, 2002, 13:38   #44
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

the best would be to get a tech as fast as we can , every 4-6 turns a tech , maybe one or two can be traded at a later stage , the more science , the faster we get more modern armies , ......

have a nice day
Old November 14, 2002, 14:13   #45
joncnunn
Emperor

The AIs have already entered the Industrial Age.

We still need 2 techs to get out of them.

It costs 50% more to reserach these techs than buy them.

Current plan if 0% wins, is to buy one of these techs this turn & and the other next turn.

If 60% wins, it takes 4 turns to get one of those techs in addition to having cost us a lot of extra money.

After we have both of those techs, then we can check to see if there are techs we can research.