Old November 11, 2002, 04:07   #1
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 22:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How did you think up your Apolyton username?
I've seen quite a few Logins, DLs and otherwise. How did you come up with them, and whats the story
Old November 11, 2002, 04:08   #2
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:49
Guess what my full first name and the first letter of my last name is?
Old November 11, 2002, 04:11   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 04:49
Nickname from close friends and some family.

Got the Nickname because it was, at one point, going to be my middlename, but my (conservative) parents thought it was too strange, so they changed it. I rather liked it, and I was sick of having someone call out "Dave" and have 5-6 people turn around to see who they're calling for. And hence, I go by Asher when possible.
Old November 11, 2002, 04:13   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:49
My first nickname (for the sake of LAN games) was "Spiff" because it sounded as laughable as my friend's nicknames. A 5 letters nick was also convenient for games like Chrono Trigger (where the character's name is 5 letters max.)
When I discovered how many Spivves there are on the 'net, I used permanently a nick which was intended to be one shot, Spiffor l'Omnivore, Spiffor for short.
Old November 11, 2002, 04:14   #5
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 22:49
My mum and dad, when naming me, decided to choose the first name of the next person mentioned on the news. The name happend to be Helmut. Not the greatest name in an English speaking country

They decided to call me James instead.
Old November 11, 2002, 04:14   #6
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 03:49
When I got DSL service, I went to Netscape to get my first email account. It jumbled my first, middle, and last names together...hence DRoseDARs from David Allen Rose. I have used the DRoseDARs form for my login in just about every instance where I needed a login.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old November 11, 2002, 04:15   #7
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

I used to be known as CYBERAmazon, a handle I came up with when I registered in February 2000 because, at the time, I was really into mythology and archeaology (well, I still am).

I changed my handle to Gatekeeper because it reflected what I do IRL — I'm a journalist, specifically, working as a copy editor right now. Copy editors are the "gatekeepers" of my profession, as we're the last ones to see and work with the raw news copy before it hits the Internet or the streets.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old November 11, 2002, 04:16   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

redbull, 4 qweggles for that post.
Old November 11, 2002, 04:19   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I was registering an email account on a major ISP and I really hate numbers. All the cool names that I could think of had been taken. I didn't want to use a varient of my real name(s) either. I resorted to spur of the moment combinations of English words that almost make sense. This is the first one that stuck.
Old November 11, 2002, 04:32   #10
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 17:49
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Guess what my full first name and the first letter of my last name is?

John?

Next enigma:
Guess what my SHORT first name and the first letter of MY last name is?
Old November 11, 2002, 04:42   #11
Rasbelin
Emperor

Rasbelin

Background: the Celts have always been my favourite civ in Civ II since my first really successful game as the Celts.
How: combination of my first name and Cunobelin.
Reason: Rasbelin, the Celtic warlord of Apolyton.

However Ras is older than Rasbelin and Rasbey is a modification of Rasbelin that I use outside Civ and StP related websites. Rassie is something I don't use, but Sheep has invented. Several other versions that are rare: Raspberry (only a few times until I was called gay because of that hilarious nickname ), Rasbe (especially Suomithreadi and IRC) and Rasbellin (I don't like it, but Heresson has used it on Poly).
Old November 11, 2002, 04:58   #12
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

My original username, Kyller, was a play on my first name (Kyle). Eventually changed it to ixnay37, from the 1996 Offspring album "Ixnay on the Hombre". The 37 is a remnant from my first email account that has managed to stick to all my usernames since.
Old November 11, 2002, 05:04   #13
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 03:49
Lord Merciless doesn't show mercy to his enemies.
Old November 11, 2002, 05:11   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 21:49
My nickname at highschool was Mr Burns. When registering for Apolyton (and almost everywhere else) Burns and Mr Burns were almost always taken, so I decided to add another name to the beginning.
Skanky was the first 'name' that I thought of. (Perhaps because my g/f was calling me a skanky wench at the time)
Old November 11, 2002, 05:39   #15
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 13:49
Well... let's say that I didn't need much imagination ...
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old November 11, 2002, 06:03   #16
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 11:49
I love threads like this.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old November 11, 2002, 06:11   #17
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
My original username, Kyller, was a play on my first name (Kyle). Eventually changed it to ixnay37, from the 1996 Offspring album "Ixnay on the Hombre". The 37 is a remnant from my first email account that has managed to stick to all my usernames since.
1 additional qweegle for that one.
Old November 11, 2002, 06:16   #18
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 10:49
Mine wasn't too difficult. I kinda like the fact my name's wierd.
Old November 11, 2002, 06:32   #19
Finvola
Chieftain

This is the name I've used for nearly everything since I've been online. I used to be active in the SCA and Finvola was what I called myself and all these years later, that's still my nickname.
Old November 11, 2002, 07:13   #20
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 07:49
oh, I hate to be repetitive. But here we go.

When I first got an webmail account, I registered under the name "Alexnm" (Alexandre N. Moreira).

When I first registered on Poly, centuries ago, I was still under the impact of that webmail account (oh this is so cool) and chose it to be my login.

Later on I noticed that Alexnm sounded like Alex Enema...

I wanted to change it, but nevermind... A lot of people would be confused if I did it. When I say "a lot of people", I mean two, actually.
Old November 11, 2002, 07:19   #21
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Zoltan Pepper --> contracted: Zopper --> elonged: Zopperoni.
Old November 11, 2002, 08:07   #22
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I have no idea how I came up with my username.
Old November 11, 2002, 08:08   #23
Gangerolf
Prince

it came to me in a vision
Old November 11, 2002, 08:26   #24
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 13:49
God told me. That is, I came up with it myself. Maybe it was just because of that astronomy course I had taken in school a couple of months before. Or the fact that in a short story I wrote when I was 13 there was a starship called Kassiopeia.

I've grown to use this nick, or the shorter version Kassi, pretty much everywhere; sometimes I do use my real name.

There's only one problem with "Kass" - people easily assume I'm a girl... not that I always have trouble with that. No wonder though, considering that Cassiopeia was a woman in Greek mythology. I've started to read more about mythology to avoid blunders like this.

Anyway, I've thought of changing it, but Stefu would do horrible things to me if I did that. Horrible things...
Old November 11, 2002, 08:42   #25
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:49
I've always been a user

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 11, 2002, 09:32   #26
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 05:49
Verto is my video card.
Old November 11, 2002, 10:09   #27
Solly
Emperor

Becuase I'm the cream of Manchester.
Old November 11, 2002, 10:17   #28
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
'Birdseed' is a jehova's witness term for 'non-believer', refferring to the prophesy that on the day of resurrection non-believers shall have their flesh ripped off by crows. I thought it was sufficiently gruesome.

I thought it lacked something as a username though, and as a lover of silly Rock pseudonyms (Cheetah Chrome, etc.) I thought I'd add a suitably Rock first name to it. Having learned the lesson from my last user name and its unfortunate Emocore connections, I did a websearch for the obvious choice "Johnny Birdseed" and found some f*cker had used it as the name of a character in some ancient and unsuccessful Sci-Fi short story. So I asked the counterglowers to come up with one. Laz supplied "Buck", Taz "Scabrous", and I've used both.
Old November 11, 2002, 10:40   #29
Eroberer
King

Local Time: 05:49
It was 1997 and I was registering for an old online gaming service, Mplayer, and I played a lot of C&C: Red Alert at the time, plus my foreign language of choice was German. I tried more for a Quake-style nickname, but they were all taken, or they had umlauts in German. Eroberer was the first thing that stuck. Then I realized that my connection at the time was horrible, so I spent a whole lot of time just in the lobbies, chatting, which got me a lot of online pals. I took this nickname first to ICQ, then to AOL IM (with various additions), and on every bulliten board ever since.

Addition: It's now also my university email address, if you can believe that. Some of my professors have been perplexed by it already.

Last edited by Eroberer; November 11, 2002 at 11:13.
Old November 11, 2002, 10:46   #30
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 06:49
Flavius Arrianus Xenophon, more commonly known as Arrian, was a Roman citizen of Greek descent who was a close associate of... Hadrian, I think. He ended up very high up on the proverbial totem pole. Anyway, he wrote what I think was an excellent History of Alexander the Great, which I read in college.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.