Old November 11, 2002, 10:54   #31
VJ
King

Local Time: 10:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Anyway, I've thought of changing it, but Stefu would do horrible things to me if I did that. Horrible things...
Would he send the bear after you?...
Old November 11, 2002, 11:01   #32
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:49
NO-ONE GO CHANGING THEIR USERNAMES. People who change their usernames are selfish bastards. I've had the same one for 4 years and I've occasionally thought of changing it, but always quickly decided for the better.

Anyway, it's a twist on my second name (Stefanus), originally invented by my brother and sister.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old November 11, 2002, 11:06   #33
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 05:49
Agreed. Those that change them are insensitive B******s.

When I first came to this site, I figured it to be a flash in the pan and wouldn't amount to anything. There seemed to be no reason to waste any imagination on a user name so I just used my initials.

I'm happy to have been proven wrong.

RAH
Old November 11, 2002, 11:59   #34
One_Brow
Chieftain

The bridge of my nose has suficiently dark and plentiful hair that it connects my eyebrows. I don't shave it. I was first called "One Brow" back in college, and have had the nickname over half my life. I use it pretty much everywhere.
Old November 11, 2002, 12:04   #35
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 11:49
are you greek?
Old November 11, 2002, 12:17   #36
Peacemaker
Warlord

This is my nickname since I or someone with the same name as me won the Noble peace prize for his efforts to bring peace to Northen Ireland.
Old November 11, 2002, 12:21   #37
Eroberer
King

hehe. we're gonna track you down now!
Old November 11, 2002, 12:24   #38
Peacemaker
Warlord

Go for it. But don't be fooled by the name
Old November 11, 2002, 13:09   #39
Japher
Emperor

I use to go by *shrum*, i misspelling of a favorite passtime. Yet, it is in the past and I use to get badgered about it for the longest time. So, a few years ago when I went to play Runescape I changed it to Japher, and have been going by it ever since. However, I sometimes use Jaffer, how I hear it said.

I really don't know why I went with Japher. It just sounds and looks cool, and every now and then someone seems to find some racial undertone to it that isn't there. I don't know?
Old November 11, 2002, 13:25   #40
tinyp3nis
Prince

Local Time: 13:49
Hmmm I hope nobody gets dissapointed if I tell that my name doesn't reflect certain areas of my body, nor anyone elses It was just a "whocaresi'mnotgonnahavethetimetowriteonforumsanywa ykindofffunnyname". Should I get a "I wish I was black t-shirt"?
Old November 11, 2002, 13:32   #41
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 04:49
I simply used my initials GEP, but that sound too much like GED, and its also kind of boring, so I added the -ap to give it some pep.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old November 11, 2002, 13:43   #42
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 07:49
Fez? You all know the description behind that one... and why I have it... my nickname in my school is Fez... and here too....
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old November 11, 2002, 13:59   #43
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:49
My first username was technophile, since I always played as Zakharov in SMAC.

I haven't played SMAC in quite awhile, so I changed to loinburger since loinburgers are delicious.
Old November 11, 2002, 14:04   #44
One_Brow
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf
are you greek?
Did you mean me?

I inherited my brow from my Tuscan (Northern Italy) great-grandfather.
Old November 11, 2002, 14:05   #45
VJ
King

Quote:
since loinburgers are delicious
Errmmm... wait, there is a burger called "loinburger"? I always thought it was a mix of
Lol & burger or something like that. What does a loinburger contain?
Old November 11, 2002, 14:13   #46
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuomerehu
What does a loinburger contain?
Beef. It's basically just a well-made hamburger, but with an Olde English name. They serve them at Alfie's Inn. (I always have mine topped with jalapenos, grilled onions, and tobasco sauce, plus a bit of salt.)
Old November 11, 2002, 14:22   #47
tinyp3nis
Prince

Your name was much funnier when I didn't know it was an actual word/name
Old November 11, 2002, 14:23   #48
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm sorry. I'll see about having it changed to Yolst & Lambie.
Old November 11, 2002, 14:25   #49
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
I'm sorry. I'll see about having it changed to Yolst & Lambie.
Ok... I don't get that, but sounds funny
Old November 11, 2002, 14:30   #50
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

It was one of those things that come to you in that misty period between waking and sleeping.
In this instance, it was on a particularly dull coach journey home from school in the November of the year 2000. A couple of my friends were at the time attempting to devise a sketch-show based on some very dubious humour, and, with a mind full of class A weird sh*t, I dozed off on the bus.

"The Idea" came flying through space on a tachyon stream, much in the same way as outlined by Terry Pratchett in some book or other. It rummaged around in my subconcious for a while, and came up with the thought that really, Kung-Fu is the most cool thing to put on TV ever (NB: The Matrix wasn't out yet.) At which point, it surfaced, with the horrific pun on Mortal Kombat ever devised. It tried to cross far-eastern Kung-Fu movies with The Highlander. And so, another "What if..." was born.

What if... In a post-apocalyptic, sentient-animal world, there was a Wombat, who, after the death of his father (classic plot device dontchaknow) discovered that he was immortal, and decided to avenge his father's death in such a way as to facilitate the defeat of all the evil in the world in the space of 24 crudely-animated episodes. Along the development of the idea, such characters as Simon the Psychic Sidekick (Kookaburra), Petre the Russian Zombie Lord (based on Actual Eventstm), and the Evil Emperor of Wales, Xin Qua Xianchi (or something. His name changes with ever rendition, I never did find a perfect evil chinese name for him.) are added and removed at will to further the increasingly implausible plot. I seem to remember a wolverine as well.

A month or so later, I was browsing the internet, looking for CtP scenarios, and found Apolyton. After a few days of downloading (the entire files section...) I registered on the forum, and spent ages trying to think of a "Username". Whatever that was. No predictable names for me, no somebody-already-has-that-name for me. Oh no, it dawned on me that I would be the Immortal Wombat, and spread the word of his fame and notorioty. So I did.

Since then, I have discovered three other Immortal Wombat references online.

The first is the womderful (edit: I'm leaving this typo in ) person who decided to register immortalwombat.com - read it "I'm Mortal Wombat - dot - com" (I'm being polite here. If you're there, kind fellow wombat, I'd like to buy your domain name )
Incidentally, mortalwombat.com is not registered.

The second is some idiot loser who came up with a grand animal fighting tournament in Australia, where marsupials would duke it out to go up against the Immortal Wombat in the final, and lose. This was another pun on MK, and I didn't mind so much, because it was a crap idea, and would have died fairly quickly. I posted on his forum asking him to kill it faster. No luck there.
But what really pissed me off was when he realised it was a crap idea, so posted another webpage saying "The Immortal Wombat sucks donkey dick". I would like to point out that this is untrue. I do not. No hard feelings, the page seems to be gone now, or at least, it doesn't turn up as the very first Google Search result for "Immortal Wombat" like it used to I do.

The third and last Immortal Wombat I have found it a reviewer on a Nintendo site or something. I think I'll copyright the name and sue him.

Accept no substitutes, the original and best,
Immortal Wombat
Old November 11, 2002, 14:49   #51
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 03:49
http://www.metopera.org/synopses/boris.html
Old November 11, 2002, 14:51   #52
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Mine's a foreshortening of an old college nickname.

The genesis --
Actual name = Jack ( + distance runner) -->> Jackrabbit -->> (written version became) -Jrabbit.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old November 11, 2002, 14:52   #53
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

but why, Boris?
Old November 11, 2002, 14:57   #54
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

From a board game that I created about 10 years ago. It was a combo of Risk (5-6 players trying to create a bunch of alliances to save their own necks) and the old Avalon Hill hex-grid games which were all 2 player games.

The units were cardboard markers and had a variety of attack/defense/movement/cost factors and battles were determined by those numbers added to a 10 sided die roll.

Basically it was Civilization before it came out on computer...

One of the players suggested that we call it 'Hexagonia'. I actually had the game and the name copywrited.

I have about seven different versions of the game - from Medieval to a Space version. My high school son and his friends love them, but they haven't beaten me yet. I have no pity when going for the kill.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old November 11, 2002, 15:54   #55
TheBirdMan
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power Democracy Game
Emperor

Location: A real Master of CTP-PBEM - together with all the others.....
Got to take a name I always could remember.

And my wife keeps a lots of birds - including an australian white yellowtopped bastard, that Lung just "couldn't resist" when he read it had used my ear as a ticket and nearly ate my home-shoes a day he was out of his cage - all just because he (the "bird", not Lung) is jealous and thought he was the male of my wife.

Gandhi
Old November 11, 2002, 16:06   #56
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

I was thinking and writing a lot about "bit-part characters", who are created for a single plot device and then get cast aside by the writer in search of new toys.

It struck me as callous, so I started fleshing out the idea of having the bit-parters carry on their lives and meeting up in some kind of "discarded plot devices" support group.

Then I got the mental image of Lazarus from the Bible peeling off his shroud, and giving a quiet fag and a chat with "The Gimp" from "Pulp Fiction". The juxtaposition of the sacred and the profane appealed to me, so here we are.

You'd be amazed at the sort of stuff I dream up.
Old November 11, 2002, 16:08   #57
Rogan Josh
Prince

Mine is my favourite food.

[Homer]Hmmmm....curry...[/Homer]
Old November 11, 2002, 16:12   #58
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Well... my parents gave it to me about 22 years ago .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 11, 2002, 16:13   #59
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 03:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
but why, Boris?
It's my favorite opera.
Old November 11, 2002, 17:28   #60
Clear Skies
Prince

Mine is really obscure...it comes from The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers. It's just one line, when the Flurry's just been destroyed - Luke looks up at the sky and murmurs 'Clear skies, Manchisco' (Manchisco being the Flurry's captain).
It's just a general sort of greeting, goodwill thing, y'know. So it kinda stuck, and in the end became my nickname - both here and elsewhere on the Net, as well as at school to some extent ('Skies' is so much nicer than my real name...)

Well, anyway, a weird concatenation of events happened. Actually, to tell the truth, Aurora happened. (She's the elohim we blame all the weird coincidences on).
My birthday started turning up everywhere. I bought a book from Oxfam and the first chapter was titled 'March 16th'. The date kept popping up in the newspapers - such-and-such-a-thing happened on the 16th of March.
Then, on the Net, someone wished someone else Happy Clear Skies Day. I was immediately intrigued to know why people were using my nickname (by now firmly enshrined) in reference to a specific day.
So I stuck it into Google, and blow me down...I hit the 'I'm Feeling Lucky' button by accident and got taken straight to a message board with a post from someone wishing someone else Happy Clear Skies Day. On March the 16th.

Weirdness happens all over the world.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman