Old November 11, 2002, 07:17   #1
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 11:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
French won't die bug
I'm playing a game in which I've encountered a really irritating bug. It's a large world, max AI, monarchy game in which as Persians I have destroyed the french. However they don't disappear from the foreign advisor screen or trade advisor screen. I can trade techs, money and luxuries with the (mine ofcourse, they have none) but they do not appear on the shift-d diplomacy list.

I thought maybe they have one city hiding somewhere, but I have their world map and they are no on it. Plus I can't establish an embasy because they have no capital.

I tried a little experiment and gave them a city of mine, it immediatley became the capitol of the french confirming my suspicions (and comming back on the shift-d pop-up and embacy pop-up). A turn later I conquered that very city and they STILL would not die!

This is vey FUBAR and Im wondering if any one else has had this or knows what to do about it.
Old November 11, 2002, 07:25   #2
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 12:49
Re: French won't die bug
Quote:
Originally posted by aahz_capone
I'm playing a game in which I've encountered a really irritating bug. It's a large world, max AI, monarchy game in which as Persians I have destroyed the french. However they don't disappear from the foreign advisor screen or trade advisor screen. I can trade techs, money and luxuries with the (mine ofcourse, they have none) but they do not appear on the shift-d diplomacy list.

I thought maybe they have one city hiding somewhere, but I have their world map and they are no on it. Plus I can't establish an embasy because they have no capital.

I tried a little experiment and gave them a city of mine, it immediatley became the capitol of the french confirming my suspicions (and comming back on the shift-d pop-up and embacy pop-up). A turn later I conquered that very city and they STILL would not die!

This is vey FUBAR and Im wondering if any one else has had this or knows what to do about it.
They might have a settler in a galley, looking for someplace to land. I've seen that happen a couple of times.
Old November 11, 2002, 07:29   #3
theEntity
Settler

This sounds very much like what has been reported numerous times, and that is not a bug.

The French probably has a settler somewhere, most likely on a galley. To destroyt them you must either find the settler and kill it, or wait until it settles so that you can find the new city on the map.
Old November 11, 2002, 11:06   #4
Finvola
Chieftain

I always turn off respawning so that doesn't happen.
Old November 11, 2002, 11:20   #5
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Finvola
I always turn off respawning so that doesn't happen.
that wouldn't stop a settler in a galley. well i don't think it would
Old November 11, 2002, 14:09   #6
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

No as long as a settler is alive then they are not dead. Ive seen this before with respawning off also.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 11, 2002, 15:24   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:49
Yup, it won't stop it if they have a setler. It will stop them from coming back if they did not have one.
Old November 11, 2002, 15:34   #8
Finvola
Chieftain

Hmm, I never experienced it after I stopped the AIs respawning , I guess I have just been lucky. Sorry 'bout that!
Old November 11, 2002, 16:44   #9
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Damn! So I have to go hunting a tiny little log with some dweeb on it in a huge ass ocean?! This is gonna take forever!

Old November 11, 2002, 16:51   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:49
Yup very ugly.
Old November 12, 2002, 04:56   #11
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 13:49
I wonder, if there is no free land anywhere, ie. the whole world has been colonised, can it actually settle anywhere. Imagine this, the French went hiding in 1009, and in 1969 you raze enemy city, freeing the land, and out of the fog of war comes a french galley with settler, establishing a city.
Old November 12, 2002, 06:04   #12
.dw.
Settler

Local Time: 12:49
am i the only one that thinks this little bug is fantastic?

i read a thread about why civ3 doesnt cut it.. and i think it mentioned something that it lacked those "extra little things".... that add a bit of flavour to the game...

dw
Old November 12, 2002, 10:28   #13
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

its a bit like the trojans escaping to found rome and then kick greek arse
Old November 12, 2002, 13:27   #14
aahz_capone
Prince

yeah except the trojans wheren't wandering the oceans for a thousand years!

in this case it sounds more like a case of a respawning civ! I KNEW there was a historical reason for this option!
Old November 12, 2002, 17:54   #15
Hail Caesar!
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
I wonder, if there is no free land anywhere, ie. the whole world has been colonised, can it actually settle anywhere. Imagine this, the French went hiding in 1009, and in 1969 you raze enemy city, freeing the land, and out of the fog of war comes a french galley with settler, establishing a city.
This happened in my game, war against the Zulu. The little expansionist friggers must have had 8 or 9 settlers wandering around (this was also before all the land was colonized too which made it exasperating). I kept chasing them down and destroying their weakass one pop zero culture cities.

And then my foreign advisor says "The Zulu have declared war on the Aztecs!!". And sure enough the stupid guy was stupid enough to found a city in the middle of Aztec territory.

One more reason why I hate the Zulu!