View Poll Results: Are you still addicted to Civ3?
Yes! I can hardly wait to get back to playing it!!! 53 37.86%
It's a great game that I play at least once a week. 54 38.57%
I'm kind of tired of it. I don't play it much anymore. 27 19.29%
I can't stand it. It's played to death. 6 4.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 22, 2004, 19:28   #61
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 20:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Agathon: Your new avatar sucks.
Just what I was thinking.....eeeeewwwww!!!
Old February 22, 2004, 23:37   #62
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 06:50
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
SR and nye... play AU 501.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old February 22, 2004, 23:42   #63
Elias
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Local Time: 03:50
I have been playing civ3 since it came out along with CTP and CTP2 thats usually all I do Most weekends
Old February 23, 2004, 00:22   #64
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 03:50
well I guess I still do have a small addiction. just got done with an epic game on tiny map with accelerated production. Nice- apart from the cheating ai.

I map play again tonight or tomorrow.
Old February 23, 2004, 02:08   #65
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Played it, Theseus. It was more of the same chase the resources. I'm hoping this gets fixed in a patch so that I can once again enjoy the game.
Old February 23, 2004, 04:58   #66
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 11:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I'll consider it, after I finish NWN:SoU, NWN:HoTU (if it's finally out in Europe), BG1 (which I missed completely), BG2, IWD, PS:T and... and... and... At the moment I don't consider the game enjoyable. Like NYE said, it's nothing but "chase the resource". This may be a welcome challenge in one or two games. But if you are "chasing the resource" the fifth game in a row, it gets tiresome as hell.
Old February 23, 2004, 07:29   #67
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 10:50
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Played it, Theseus. It was more of the same chase the resources. I'm hoping this gets fixed in a patch so that I can once again enjoy the game.
Are you sure resources spawning in concetrated patches is a bug?

I've played continents games and they appear to be evenly distributed between both continents, albeit in patches. It seemed like a feature to me.

I've played about 4 epic games and my feeling is, while it adds a new element of luck in the game, it also adds more planning. If a player have a lot of resource X, they will more than likely have none of another resource. Make expansion more strategic. As I've never been a fan of dominate the wrold through conquest games, I have gotten resource indepence by conquering just my immediate neighbours.
Old February 23, 2004, 22:06   #68
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Yeah, I hear ya. Resources, Army stuff, etc., the game definitely still needs one more good stiff patch.

Maybe it was that just for me, having been tied up in RL in January, AU 501 just rocked!

But, on that note: You'll be ba-aack!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old February 23, 2004, 23:20   #69
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

You should be able to win safe money betting on me playing again. I am enjoying MP, even with the maps, because it is new, and I can find people there to hand me my head on a platter. The AU scenarios are also more attractive, since there is a point to the excercise beyond the same old, same old. 501 was a bit unfortunate for me since the author wanted to highlight the resource chasing aspect...

I have thought about playing more of the real world maps. It would take away some of the fun of exploring, but I would have some idea of where to go for resources.

And then there will be a patch, and I am hopeful that resources will be addressed in that. In the mean time, I am getting more work done.
Old February 23, 2004, 23:30   #70
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
Are you sure resources spawning in concetrated patches is a bug?

I've played continents games and they appear to be evenly distributed between both continents, albeit in patches. It seemed like a feature to me.
I've seen something posted somewhere, by someone (can't remember where or who) that suggested that the addition of tobacco and volcanoes(?) had an effect on the appearance of resources. With the same editor values for appearance, you get less of each in C3C than in PtW. The obvious solution then would be to edge up the appearance ratios.

I noticed it, but never measured it myself, when playing games where it was common to start 20 or so tiles from horses or iron (often both) with my favorite settings. Archer conquests of the nearest AI can be fun, once in a while, but get stale when they are needed frequently.

Most of all, I've been playing Civ3 intensely since it came out. I need a break, and this is the ideal time for it while waiting for the patch.
Old February 23, 2004, 23:53   #71
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Civ3 is the only game left on my computer because I'm forcing myself to study hard (from home) this semester. Were it not for PBEM and DG commitments, I would be totally game-less right now (although probably still on 'Poly!).

Dominae
Old February 23, 2004, 23:58   #72
bvoncranium
Warlord

Local Time: 05:50
I found that as my desire to play the game burned out (especially after too many snail-like PBEM marathons), my interest in designing scenarios took over. Quirky though it is, I'm sure glad the Editor is included in the game...

- bvc

(OK next scenario: hmmm... how about an all-Scouts Civ who have to fully explore the enormous pangaea before the Raging Ghandi barbarians wipe them out. Or maybe...)
Old February 24, 2004, 03:50   #73
Harovan
staff

Well T, of course I will be back. Or better, I never will be gone. I will use the time to rant about the resource bug as much and as annoying as possible. And if with the time my name doesn't get assigned to the resource bug like Coracle's to culture flipping, I will be very disappointed.
Old February 24, 2004, 21:55   #74
Theseus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I've seen something posted somewhere, by someone (can't remember where or who) that suggested that the addition of tobacco and volcanoes(?) had an effect on the appearance of resources. With the same editor values for appearance, you get less of each in C3C than in PtW. The obvious solution then would be to edge up the appearance ratios.
Yes, confirmed that it is from volcanoes. Should be fixed in the next patch.

Which further means, in response to SR, that you really should be obsessing over the volcano problem, not the resource problem, which is, hmm, ahhh, errr, sometimes appropriate for you.

Old February 25, 2004, 04:04   #75
Harovan
staff

What problem are volcanoes, other than that they can seriously screw you early on?
Old February 25, 2004, 07:17   #76
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 12:50
I only play PBEM games...
Old February 25, 2004, 09:07   #77
Jethro83
Prince

I've played Civ III since it first came out. And for most of that time I was addicted. Despite its obvious shortcomings, there was too much about it that I just loved.

But my interest in Civ III burned out over many months as I played through many other games. Now, I just have no interest left at this time.

I wouldn't say I'm sick of Civ III, or that it has been played to death and I'll never play it again. But it just doesn't appeal to me right now, and I don't see myself playing it again any time soon, with or without mods.
Old February 28, 2004, 14:47   #78
Theseus
Emperor

Quote:
What problem are volcanoes, other than that they can seriously screw you early on?
Jesse Smith confirmed that the introduction of volcanoes somehow caused the resource dsitribution problem.

Old March 1, 2004, 22:22   #79
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

How inconvenient. I like the addition of volcanos...and I even like the side benefit of resource scarcity... althought it's a bit *too* scarce in some games.
Old March 1, 2004, 22:33   #80
dexters
King

I actually sort of like the resource scarcity as well.

I think the distribution can be kept the same but the instances can be increased.

I don't think its a problem that we can play to industrial and find out we don't have rubber. I mean, what's the point of having resources at all if all it takes is massive rexing and biting off territory from your neighbours to have everything you'll ever need.

strategic resource scarcity makes the game more interesting. I recently just got done playing an Emperor level game where i had no rubber, despite having a large chunk of the landmass and the potential to gain more by attacking my weaker neighbours. No one had them. All the sources were controled by the AI superpower, with only one open source on the tip of a landmass. I had take the city from another AI and turn it into a virtual fortress to make sure if the superpower got ticked off, i can hold it long enough to move survive. Essentially, I had to figure out how to play and to continue. And to play creatively and have fun, which I thought was part of the challenge and fun of Civ. I'd rather play a game like that and squeak by or even lose on emperor level than bragging about how I won in Sid with my 200 arty offensive strategy, which (no offense intended) is one of the most tedious things anyone can do to win a game. Not to mention the anal rententive side of of super micromanagement has never suited my tastes as gamer... but i'm going off topic here.

I've also had bad early starts with no Iron. I ended up having to trade for it for nearly the entire game. I lost the game, because I also happened to have started out on a large Island in a pangea game. but it was a heck of a lot more fun than a boring standard pagea start of rexing, rexing, steal resources, rex rex rex. mass troops. go to war. mass troops. got to war. etc. Playing from behind was a great experience.

In anycase, back to my emperor game. I got screwed because despite having a monopoly on silks there were only 3 instances of silks in the entire map. So I was disadvantaged by not being able to trade with more than 2 civs at a time. Had there been 5 instances of silk for an 8 civ standard map, it would be great.

In summary, resource distribution OK. instances can go up a bit. A bug this may be, but I really thing C3C is better with it than without. I revisited my last PTW game and was appaled by how many resources I controlled, despite only controlling about 25% of the landmass. I had so many in fact, they had started to stack on the resource screen.

No, resource scarcity definately is better.

Last edited by dexters; March 1, 2004 at 22:47.
Old March 2, 2004, 03:46   #81
darkprophet
Settler

I can honestly say that the Civ series not only has held my interest the longest than any other game(s), even with its shortcomings, but also (after Civ3) its tweaked my interest in many aspects of gaming, like the fact that one can edit the game, the rules,and create their own terrain graphics, units and unit animations, its great! After seeing so much independant talent out there (Sn00py,Womack and many many others) It has inspiredme of perhaps making a career change into the feild of computer graphics art and animations. (Just Imagine People Actually Get Paid to Make/Play Games Like Sids Civs!!!)

Last edited by darkprophet; March 12, 2004 at 14:16.
Old March 2, 2004, 07:38   #82
dexters
King

lol. i went back and read the first post and realized how off topic this whole thing has gotten.

Apologies for my big long rant.

RE: my Civ addiction. It usually goes in cycles. 1 to 2 months of intense play followed by 3 months or rest then back again.
Old March 3, 2004, 21:38   #83
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

It was a good post, dexters.

I'm currently very addicted. I'm playing a mod with large numbers of civs on tiny map.

I'm going to try in the inverse after this game finishes. 31 civs on huge map. I know, I know....get a few magazine subscriptions for between turns....

I'm addicted.
Old March 3, 2004, 22:04   #84
dexters
King

If you play on a pangea the strain will not be as big on your system. less water tiles to calculate trade routes.
Old March 4, 2004, 00:41   #85
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Post the map, lots of people seem to be asking for one like that.
You are very courageous.
Old March 5, 2004, 11:23   #86
Brundlefly
Prince

Do you feel upset or angry when something keeps you from playing Civ3? Do you dream about playing Civ3 while you should be doing other things? If you answered 'yes' to either question then you are a Civ3 addict..
Old March 5, 2004, 11:28   #87
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Oh, damn. Time to see a shrink
Old March 5, 2004, 15:28   #88
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by bfg9000
Do you feel upset or angry when something keeps you from playing Civ3? Do you dream about playing Civ3 while you should be doing other things? If you answered 'yes' to either question then you are a Civ3 addict..
Scared me with this one, until I realized she upsets me no matter what game I am playing.

The nerve, wanting me to listen to her while I am busy.
Old March 5, 2004, 17:31   #89
Krill
lifer
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The GooniesC4BtSDG TemplarsC4BtSDG ImperioC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4BtSDG Team BananaC4BtSDG Realms BeyondC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Deity

Quote:
Oh, damn. Time to see a shrink
yeah, me too. But for a 15 year old?
I need to see one for other reasons any way...
Old March 7, 2004, 20:15   #90
Master Marcus
Prince

Quote:
We have 2004 now, you know.
You mean, Unreal Tournament 2004??? March 16th......

Seriously now, the poll would have been great if we had an option like '' I play it to death every year during 9 months, and I take a 3-4 months break.'' Exactly what I made in 2002 and 2003, and now that I've passed most of the C3C scenarios twice, and 7-8 full huge epic games, playing it every day since last october, I'm on the verge of another break.........for much less civing games. I'll be back.