Old November 12, 2002, 04:46   #31
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
With MPPs with both Greece and Rome (both will agree to sign an MPP with us. In fact they'll even pay to do so) noone will dare to attack us.
In case someone does, the MPP will prove to be most useful. Let us examine each possible case:

Aztecs declare war on us: no problem! Greece can take care of them. I know Alex would love to take a bite at the Aztec empire.
Russia declares war on us: again, no sweat! Rome has full coverage of Abananaba Minor and can keep the Russians busy. Any initial attacks that the Russians make can be blocked easily since we have a very easy to defend border with Russia. Besides, this will give us an excuse to take Krasnoyarsk...
England declares war on us: our border with England is relatively easy to defend. In any case, if this possibility seems to threatening we might want to sign a MPP with England as well.

The only drawback to this is that one of the AIs involved in the MPP will declare war against another AI (say Greece declaring war against Aztecs), thus pulling us into another war. However, I think the risk is damn worth it.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old November 12, 2002, 14:45   #32
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:50
Why did we just sign a trade deal with England?

They should be our first target and attacked now to add more cities that are FP-centric.

Right after England is annexed then annex Germany if they don't have infentry by then.

I'd also support a war with Greece, but our Palace needs located to Marcoss City if we intend to annex Greece.

I'm against attacking Rome / Babylon / Russia unless they get inside our territory first and decare war first.
(Anybody declaring war on us should be severely punished.)
Old November 12, 2002, 18:41   #33
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
I dunno about an alliance. You have to commit to 20 turns in an alliance and we're more into 5-7 turns blitzes.
Not nessarsarily the one pact I break regularly are alliances. They cost too much to maintain, and the animosity between civs more than covers the loss of reputation Let's face it reputation is a commodity too.

Don't attack England. They're so small that they won't be able to keep up for long. if we do attack, it should be someone who will stay technologically forward. If they get NU then if it's close enough to the FP, we should take it. It will use 400 shields from an already weak empire, we might want to take all FP-centric English cities.

Last edited by realpolitic; November 12, 2002 at 18:53.
Old November 12, 2002, 18:53   #34
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by realpolitic
Let's face it reputation is a commodity too.
Yes, but one that's very hard to replenish.

Quote:
Don't attack England. They're so small that they won't be able to keep up for long. if we do attack, it should be someonewho will stay technologically forward.
While I would like a war against England to take some more cities around the FP, I've been convinced Germany is a better target. The title of this thread sums it up nicely.

And I'm a Prince! Woohoo! (I was just ONE post short last night, but there simply wasn't another post I wanted to make. ) I think a new avatar is in order.

200 more to go for a custom one

Edit: Smile malfunctions cleared up.
Old November 13, 2002, 08:46   #35
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 11:50
Perhaps we better isloate Germany before we declare on them. My suggestion is waiting for Infantry and Tanks, but be the first to reach the appropriate techs.
By the time we get to these techs, our economy will be even bigger than today (FP, palace relocation, Democracy, banks, universities, etc). and we could afford an embargo with any civ that has spare rubber/oil against germany, depends on what they're missing for tanks/infantry. In those 20 turns of embargo we would build a grand army: armored battalions mobile artillery and veteran infantry will pop all across Apolytonia, in a great feat of construction, (place holders will be used several turns before so that a headstart will be achieved). This will leave us in a most convenient situation against Germany, and for future campaigns as well. I know its much more risky than war with germany with our Cavs against their rilfemen, but this war you all plan will be long and wear us down, since germany, as said, is nothing like we ever had serious war with before (and i mean serious, not that skirmish we had with Bismarck a while ago).

We are a powerful nation, that doesn't need to get itself messed up with this bloody war, let us wait for a better opportunity, and perhaps use our Cavalry against England, a much weaker power, and much better corruption-wise.
Old November 13, 2002, 11:39   #36
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Why in the world would we want to attack Germany with Tanks at the same time that they have Panzers?
Old November 13, 2002, 14:32   #37
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:50
I dislike the idea of waiting for German to have Panzers before we ready our attack. The Panzer is hugely important to the Germans, no doubt they are trying their best to reach that level in the tech tree as time is preciously running out for Bismarck and his cronies.

I don't think we even need an alliance with anyone else. not a MPP anyways, we can still convince the Greeks to go after the Aztecs in a seperate war without dragging us in too much.

Here's a thought:

Have the Greeks invade the Aztecs (with an alliance for war with us, NOT an MPP). Chances are Bismarck will not approve of Aztec soldiers running around on his country, so that war will mostly be un-involving for us. In that time we attack Germany. It may or may not take us 5 turns to accomplish our goals, and if we are considering war with three nations (or even two at a time) then we should throw out the book that says we should only war for 5 turns.

With German power stifled and Apolytonian might skyrocketing in our continent, we can then look north at the war-weakened Aztecs and Greeks.

England is not necessary right now, even though I still believe we should conquer them shortly...they are too weak, they are not tech leaders, and their territory is not much to look at.
Old November 13, 2002, 17:59   #38
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 11:50
Quote:
Why in the world would we want to attack Germany with Tanks at the same time that they have Panzers?
You seem to misunderstand me- my point was that we would prevent germany from having panzers/infantry. Since we seem to have almost a monopoly on jungle tiles, we might pull off an embargo that would leave germany without rubber-meaning no panzers and no infantry. Then a quick rush towards Motorized Tran, building tanks and crushing germany- once we pull a rubber embargo we have 20 turns to reach Motorized Tran. and blast them out of this planet.

Sure, its not straightforward and takes more time/resources than war now- But pulling this off is far more challenging and fun, don't you think?
Old November 13, 2002, 18:31   #39
joncnunn
Emperor

Mobilized Transportation is at the merger of the two main branches of techs in the industrial era.

We will have a choice of beelining to Hoover's Dam or else beeling to Batleships. Either way advances us towards Tanks.

As I recall, tiles that are initally forest can also have rubber in them, and Germany is full of forests.