View Poll Results: What should the map specs be? (6 Days)
Opt 1 Grp A Random Landmass 13 7.93%
Opt 1 Grp A Everything Random 10 6.10%
Opt 1 Grp B Continents 13 7.93%
Opt 1 Grp B Archipelago 2 1.22%
Opt 1 Grp B Pangea 3 1.83%
Opt 2 Grp A Random Climate 3 1.83%
Opt 2 Grp A Random Everything 11 6.71%
Opt 2 Grp B Arid 1 0.61%
Opt 2 Grp B Normal 17 10.37%
Opt 2 Grp B Wet 9 5.49%
Opt 3 Grp A Random Temperature 4 2.44%
Opt 3 Grp A Random Everything 11 6.71%
Opt 3 Grp B Warm 4 2.44%
Opt 3 Grp B Temperate 21 12.80%
Opt 3 Grp B Cool 1 0.61%
Opt 4 Grp A Random Age 10 6.10%
Opt 4 Grp A Random Everything 11 6.71%
Opt 4 Grp B 3 Billion 1 0.61%
Opt 4 Grp B 4 Billion 13 7.93%
Opt 4 Grp B 5 Billion 6 3.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11, 2002, 13:20   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Repoll: Map Preferences
Okay, after the tie of the first poll, a repoll over each individual map option is the best way to resolve this issue.
This may look a little confusing, but it's not really once you understand how it's structured.

READ THIS BEFORE YOU VOTE!

There are four 'options' to vote upon. Therefore, only vote for FOUR choices. Check FOUR boxes. Understood? Good.

We'll use the first option as an example on how to vote here.
First option is landmass. First group is for random landmass. Second choice under that group is if you want random everything regarding the map. If you want random everything, vote the 2nd choice for each option. Group B and the 3 choices are for picking that option, and what selection is your preference.

That is how every option for the poll works. Remember, vote for four things, no more no less.

Read the poll carefully and vote wisely.

The winning choice within each winning group for each option (try saying that ten times fast ) will be the selected choice. If 'Random everything' wins for one option, but not all the others, then that option will be random, but no others.

Last edited by Jon Shafer; November 11, 2002 at 13:36.
Old November 11, 2002, 13:55   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

C'mon people! Random landmass! I don't care about anything else, but I want my random landmass.
Old November 11, 2002, 13:58   #3
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Random everything.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 11, 2002, 14:02   #4
Jon Shafer

Phew, it looks like everyone has the thing figured out.
I'd feared that with all those options and choices and groups people might get confused.
Old November 11, 2002, 14:20   #5
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 10:50
I said it once and I'll say it again...

Our ancester didn't get to pick what kind of world they lived on, why should we?

Random everything.
Old November 11, 2002, 15:43   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:50
It looks like every poll is getting increasinly difficult, Can't wait for the next one

* alva reminds himself, not to make to many poll jokes *
:
Old November 11, 2002, 16:33   #7
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:50
Continents, Wet, Temperate, Random Age

I don't want to see anyone stuck in the tundra or stuck on a tiny little island with nothing but desert or tundra.
Old November 11, 2002, 17:20   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:50
I go along with the random landmass for those who care so much.

Normal Climate.

Warm Temperature.

4 Billion.

--- Reposted from elsewhere

I disagree with random climate, temperature and age. Here's why...

Starting in tundra would be nearly the end of the game for that unlucky civ. You just can't do anything with it for far too long. Desert would be bad enough, but at least with desert there is a good chance of rivers and flood plains.

The solution to this? Warm temperature. The caps are minimised or eliminated altogether. With warm you would use Normal climate and 4 billion (defaults). If you chose wet you will have no tundra and no desert (likely). That means 0 oil in some games. Oops.

So I say Random land mass and water, choose Normal climate and 4 billion years. Choose Warm temperature.

Wouldn't it be just great to pick all random and have archi, arid, cool, 3 billion? NOT!

Thank you.
Old November 11, 2002, 17:42   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 12:50
NYE : IIRC, whatever the settings, there are always 2 resources per type and per civ in the map. I've seen that a long time ago before 1.21, so maybe it changed since, but I doubt it.

Edit : wait, I've just seen we forgot to put the water coverage. Do we need another poll ?
Old November 11, 2002, 18:17   #10
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 11:50
My vote is random landmass, temperate, normal, 4 billion years. Our ancestors may not have known, what they get, but that's what they got (except the randomness of landmass). Everything average means, we have both desert and tundra, but none of them should dominate even a large area, so nobody will be really screwed. Btw, to guarantee everyone an equal starting position is almost impossible. Although I did so once in a scenario, Banana Island, anyone?
Old November 11, 2002, 18:31   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
NYE : IIRC, whatever the settings, there are always 2 resources per type and per civ in the map. I've seen that a long time ago before 1.21, so maybe it changed since, but I doubt it.
There is a problem with map generation in some cases.

If there is little or no terrain allowable for oil, then the oil can't be placed in the quantities prescribed, so there is less oil.

It has happened that games with Wet and Warm have had 0 oil. It has happened. Savs have been posted.

After all this, I think I may agree with Sir Ralph. Just make sure we do not get stuck with random and some god-forsaken iceball of an orb.
Old November 11, 2002, 18:35   #12
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Edit : wait, I've just seen we forgot to put the water coverage. Do we need another poll ?
There is a single setting to make land mass type and water percentage random. So that is covered in that first random group.

Oops, I see what you mean. But I hope the answer is no. Most want random, that solves the problem. If the pick group wins that one, then we can poll water coverage.
Old November 11, 2002, 19:13   #13
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Well, I was a little confused, so I just did what Trip said if you wanted everything random and voted teh second choice for each option.

If we have mods, ultimate challenge constitutions, and any more of these polls, my brain will literally explode.
Old November 11, 2002, 19:20   #14
Jon Shafer

I think the polls are about done with. Nearly everything has been decided, only a few final issues.

I'm hoping you wanted to vote for all random, right?
Old November 11, 2002, 22:00   #15
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Yeah Trip I wanted to vote all random

But I think this poll is destined for a Dummies book...

In bookstores everywhere November 18 2002!
Trip's Map Preferences Repoll for Dummies!

Old November 11, 2002, 22:08   #16
Jon Shafer

Just for summary, here's the current standings:

Landmass:
11 votes for random
6 votes for selecting (Continents)

Climate:
6 votes for random
11 votes for selectiong (Normal)

Temperature:
6 votes for random
11 votes for selecting (Temperate)

8 votes for selecting (4 billion)
Old November 11, 2002, 22:19   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Trip's numbers are way off, here's the important vote's standings:

Climate:
1 vote for random
7 votes for (Normal)
5 votes for (Wet)

Blast you anti-river people! Vote Wet!
Old November 11, 2002, 22:41   #18
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I agree with GhengisFarb , vote wet!
Old November 11, 2002, 23:34   #19
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Trip's numbers are way off, here's the important vote's standings:
There were less people when I counted, and you're not counting the votes for 'all random' (which count for the overall random total).
Old November 12, 2002, 03:22   #20
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Blast you Wet people, vote Normal!

Temperate and 4 billion both seem to have unassailable leads and random Landmass is ahead by a good margin.
Old November 12, 2002, 03:45   #21
jordie
PtWDG Lux InvictaCivilization III MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 20:50
Random baby, yeah!
Old November 12, 2002, 08:40   #22
mrmitchell
King

Random! Woohoo!

Nice sig, jordie (and I'm a member of the undefeated Roleplay Team!)
Old November 12, 2002, 08:41   #23
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Wet.

If land mass is Random there's a 1/3 chance of an Archipelago, which without a wet climate there's almost no rivers (bad, very bad).
Old November 12, 2002, 12:55   #24
Jon Shafer

Climate is very close right now... 9 for Normal, 8 for random, and 7 for wet.
Old November 12, 2002, 17:36   #25
Arnelos
Emperor

Hold run-offs if need be?
Old November 12, 2002, 17:44   #26
Jon Shafer

Argh... I was hoping to make this the final über-poll.
Old November 12, 2002, 18:30   #27
mrmitchell
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Hold run-offs if need be?
Dude, this is a repoll because the original Map Pref poll tied. We need to get done before the next millenium.

Please, let's not hold a run-off...please...now, a repoll due to a tie is the only democratic thing to do...but a run-off due to close...
Old November 12, 2002, 19:24   #28
Arnelos
Emperor

mrmitchell... it's a 3-way race for climate... it seems pretty certain that NO OPTION WILL GET A MAJORITY.

So the obvious question is whether the people who wanted "wet" (as it looks now) want random more or normal more. The only way to determine that is a re-poll between those top two choices (or whichever 2 choices have the most votes at the end of this poll).

People, we have until DECEMBER FIRST to start the game... this isn't a problem...
Old November 12, 2002, 20:37   #29
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

The poll is still screwed up, there are 3 group B's and several Group A's.

There should be only one "Random Everything" either you want Random Everything or not.

Vote for the Wet option so we can have rivers!

Wet is good! Wet T-shirts, Wet beer, Wet paint.

Wet is good!
Old November 12, 2002, 20:40   #30
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by =OttomusCeasar=
Vote for the Wet option so we can have rivers!

Wet is good! Wet T-shirts, Wet beer, Wet paint.

Wet is good!
I wholeheartedly agree. Not sure I like wet paint or that you can even HAVE a "non-wet" beer, but otherwise yes.