View Poll Results: What should the map specs be? (6 Days)
Opt 1 Grp A Random Landmass 13 7.93%
Opt 1 Grp A Everything Random 10 6.10%
Opt 1 Grp B Continents 13 7.93%
Opt 1 Grp B Archipelago 2 1.22%
Opt 1 Grp B Pangea 3 1.83%
Opt 2 Grp A Random Climate 3 1.83%
Opt 2 Grp A Random Everything 11 6.71%
Opt 2 Grp B Arid 1 0.61%
Opt 2 Grp B Normal 17 10.37%
Opt 2 Grp B Wet 9 5.49%
Opt 3 Grp A Random Temperature 4 2.44%
Opt 3 Grp A Random Everything 11 6.71%
Opt 3 Grp B Warm 4 2.44%
Opt 3 Grp B Temperate 21 12.80%
Opt 3 Grp B Cool 1 0.61%
Opt 4 Grp A Random Age 10 6.10%
Opt 4 Grp A Random Everything 11 6.71%
Opt 4 Grp B 3 Billion 1 0.61%
Opt 4 Grp B 4 Billion 13 7.93%
Opt 4 Grp B 5 Billion 6 3.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 12, 2002, 20:48   #31
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 06:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by =OttomusCeasar=
The poll is still screwed up, there are 3 group B's and several Group A's.

There should be only one "Random Everything" either you want Random Everything or not.
That's to make it easier to tally random votes for each option. A vote for random everything counts as a vote for random for each option specifically as well.
Old November 13, 2002, 00:16   #32
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 05:50
Quote:
Dude, this is a repoll because the original Map Pref poll tied. We need to get done before the next millenium.

Please, let's not hold a run-off...please...now, a repoll due to a tie is the only democratic thing to do...but a run-off due to close...
We do have till December first, we don't want to get everything out of the way by the 16th just to sit on our arses for the rest of the month... might as well bicker

Nov 10:
Nov 20:
Nov 30:
Dec 1:

Last edited by Randolph; November 13, 2002 at 07:57.
Old November 13, 2002, 00:22   #33
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:50
big
Old November 13, 2002, 08:45   #34
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 04:50
*Okay, I am sensing someone thought I was a little too harsh with my post about needing to get it done*

I believe I needed to insert more smiley faces to make it better

Yes, Randolph, we do have until Dec 1, but:
(1) Some people will be traveling for Thanksgiving. We can probably cut this out of an idea of productive time if enough people do it.
(2) We've got more than this to decide, probably.
(3) We need to have an idea if there will be for example a lot of rivers or hills or whatever so we can still bicker but it will be about formulating a basic strategy.

Okay, I think there are enough smilies.
Old November 13, 2002, 10:49   #35
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
I believe I needed to insert more smiley faces to make it better

YOU CAN'T PLACATE PEOPLE WITH SMILEY FACES

opps! I mean...

you can't placate people with smiley faces, can you?

edit: I found out there is an "emoticon limit" to each post
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 13, 2002, 10:58   #36
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

I actually trying to be annoying more than anything else...
Old November 13, 2002, 11:11   #37
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

There's still quite a lot of inter-team work (and especially intra-team work) to be done before the 1st. I don't think I'm going to be able to do much of it though, since I have a few tests until the 18th, then Hearts of Iron comes out on the 19th, and I'll be a bit busy.
Old November 16, 2002, 10:33   #38
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 11:50
There should be no less than 70% water.
Too much land is awful.

We are playing Humans vs. Humans, meaning:
Naval Warfare could actually be fun!!?
Old November 16, 2002, 12:44   #39
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
There should be no less than 70% water.
Too much land is awful.

We are playing Humans vs. Humans, meaning:
Naval Warfare could actually be fun!!?
I like land! Land good for monster!
(However, everything random is better.)

Naval Warfare? What's that?

I really dont goof off a lot with it, I usually just bypass the enemy navy, hold a skeleton navy at home to defeat there navy, and just send multimillions of transports(backed by battleships of course) chock full of Modern Armor to their homeland...
Old November 16, 2002, 16:48   #40
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 11:50
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
I really dont goof off a lot with it, I usually just bypass the enemy navy, hold a skeleton navy at home to defeat there navy, and just send multimillions of transports(backed by battleships of course) chock full of Modern Armor to their homeland...
That's nice against AI. But we are facing humans now.
Naval Warfare is poorly implemented in Civ3.
( perhaps not enhanced in PTW? )

Ok, the missile delivery systems do not fire automatically on passing units (and without a ZOC) it's a shame...

So that's why it could be a different experience vs. humans.
A loaded Carrier in a (submarine-flanked) convoy of landing vessels and battleships would be something to hold of, eh?
Might be fun?
Old November 16, 2002, 17:56   #41
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:50
The point of all Naval Warfare historically was to

1.) Build a fleet that will sink another nation's transports in case of sea-borne invasion.
2.) Better protect overseas colonies
3.) Reconnaisance

Which are all basically the reasons that Airborne Warfare was born. Recon planes were first used to observe enemy troop movements. In order to prevent that they enemy built fighters to shoot the recon planes down. In response to that the original nation built fighters also, to protect the Recon planes and shoot down enemy fighters....

Then the bomber came (and the battleship/aircraft carrier formations for naval warfare) whose purpose was to cripple an enemies recon ability, industrial ability, and troop movement ability.

I predict that for the same reasons we shall have naval warfare and airborne assaults, much like the real life purpose those units were made.
Old November 18, 2002, 12:18   #42
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

My question is this...so which choice won, and how will the random everything votes be tallied versus those whose views were more diversified?
Old November 18, 2002, 14:57   #43
Randolph
Prince

That's the question isn't it. It's certainly a poll that that will require some interpreting (maybe re-re-polling).
Old November 18, 2002, 15:06   #44
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Quite a quandry...Admiral, we should lead a massive multi-national invasion force for regime change and an end to the mass-confusion

Are you with me
Old November 18, 2002, 16:14   #45
Randolph
Prince

Yar! It be time for mutiny!

We'll need to set it to a dry archipelago so we can leave trip on a desert island.

But seriously… we need to figure this out eventually. The situations where there are more “all random + individual random” than all the “picks” are obvious. But where there are more “picks” should we have a (re-)re-pole so the people who picked random will have a say in the choice? Or should we just go with the plurality for convenience sake?
Old November 18, 2002, 16:24   #46
Jon Shafer

Final Results:

'Everything Random' recieved 11 votes out of a total of 41, meaning each option will be decided individually.

Option 1: Landmass
Group A (Random) 23 votes
Group B (Choosing: Continents) 18 votes

Option 2: Climate
Group A (Random) 14 votes
Group B (Choosing: Normal) 27 votes

Option 3: Temperature
Group A (Random) 15 votes
Group B (Choosing: Temperate) 26 votes

Option 4: Age
Group A (Random) 21 votes
Group B (Choosing: 4 billion) 20 votes
Old November 18, 2002, 19:42   #47
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Temperate climate did not get 26 votes... it only got 17, with WET climate getting the other 9 votes. Wouldn't we hold a run-off?
Old November 18, 2002, 20:13   #48
Jon Shafer

The 26 votes is for the group (picking), not for that particular option (temperate). This poll was the reasoning of having something beyond random VS choosing, so that could be decided in one poll.
Old November 18, 2002, 20:18   #49
WarriorPoet
Prince

Meaning a new poll Trip...or do you mean:
Landmass=Random
Climate=Normal&Temperate
Age=Random

This based on simple plurality...personally, I want a large landmass, continents, 70% water, warm, normal, 4 billion...but thats just me....
Old November 18, 2002, 20:29   #50
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:50
Too late now WarriorPoet, none of us are going to get what we want now.

In the words of someone else who said the same thing to me: Deal with it.
Old November 18, 2002, 20:38   #51
WarriorPoet
Prince

I'll play anywhere, but in the words of one who has played many games, I know what yields the best empires and the best competition, and hence, the best games...IMHO
Old November 18, 2002, 23:03   #52
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by WarriorPoet
Meaning a new poll Trip...or do you mean:
Landmass=Random
Climate=Normal&Temperate
Age=Random

This based on simple plurality...personally, I want a large landmass, continents, 70% water, warm, normal, 4 billion...but thats just me....
That's that. If we do a poll to accept that, what if it doesn't pass? Then what? We've already had two polls over this issue, another 2 would be rather redundant and inefficient...
Old November 19, 2002, 10:27   #53
WarriorPoet
Prince

NP, trip, chill mighty liege, I'm just trying to sort out what the final resolution is.
Old November 19, 2002, 11:20   #54
Randolph
Prince

OK, I say we go with the plurality (even though I don't really like the outcomes ) unless anyone has a serious problem with this in which case we'll have 2 run off polls for climate. Sound Fair?
Old November 19, 2002, 14:54   #55
WarriorPoet
Prince

Fair to me, and I promise not to quibble
Old November 19, 2002, 23:47   #56
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Let's just play with Trip's map already.

It's not exactly what everyone wants but I would just like to get on with the game.
Old November 20, 2002, 09:34   #57
WarriorPoet
Prince

GF, I liked the simpsons-esque avatar...Back to your point, I agree, I can't wait until December....
Old November 20, 2002, 09:38   #58
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by WarriorPoet
GF, I liked the simpsons-esque avatar...Back to your point, I agree, I can't wait until December....
That was for an attempt at a Simpson's team, which only had two people interested in joining........
Old November 20, 2002, 14:56   #59
WarriorPoet
Prince

Too bad, it would have been cool crushing bart into bits or running from the crazed religious zealot