Old March 16, 2000, 20:24   #1
Mikel
Warlord

Local Time: 02:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
More than 7 factions
My favourite aspect of smac is the interaction with the different factions, each with their own agendas and personalities. It seemed a lot more "real" than any civ game ever did. It was great to get smacx so that there were new factions to interact with and you could even create your own. However you still only can ever have 7 factions in one game. Im sure the Huge maps could easily cope with more factions. I suppose it may cause problems for the AI so in that case why not use the spare factions as minor factions(they start with x bases and dont grow or build, there just there to negotiate with or conquer) or how about starting them as a replacement faction if one side is eliminated early on (just like Civ and Civ2).Surely this could be an option in a new patch or expansion?
Old March 16, 2000, 21:52   #2
Master Marcus
Prince

Local Time: 20:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
This is not a minor enhancement. An interaction of more than 7 factions means a major remodeling upon the main SMAC engine - so I don't think they'll do it in the future unless Firaxis is thinking or planning for an entirely new sequel, SMACx II.

If there is to be a SMACx II, I would prefer a variable number of factions depending of the map size choosing as follows:

map size # of factions

tiny 6,7,or 8

small 7,8,or 9

average 7,8,9,or 10

large 8,9, or 10

huge 8,9,10,11,or 12

custom size then choose
between 6-12.

------------------
The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".
Old March 16, 2000, 22:18   #3
Argonaut
Prince

Local Time: 01:39
I agree that you're going to have to wait for a sequal if you want more factions in a game. And I like the idea of selecting based on the size of the map. But personally, I don't want to HAVE to have eight or ten factions just because I'm playing a large map. A general range from 6 to ten (or whatever) would be good in my opinion.

------------------
Jason the Argonaut
"I like horses. Thank You."
-Daniel MacIvor
Old March 16, 2000, 22:41   #4
Mikel
Warlord

Local Time: 02:39
Yes like I said more than 7 factions would probably cause AI problems at least. I was meaning more the option of starting a breakaway faction if one side was eradicated early on to be included in a patch. For example the Morganites have just been destroyed and its only turn 20ish. Why not have a little interlude about Aki Zeta-5 escaping from University labs along with some other test subjects. A few turns later you meet the Consciousness. Still only 7 factions at any one time but more interaction. Beyond for arguement turn 150 any faction eradicated has their leader captured, and so that leader can be rescued.

I like the big map more factions idea though.
Old March 17, 2000, 15:01   #5
Qualiciide

Actully, they made it SEVEN factions beacause if no one is wiped out before the concil convenes then you have a 4-3 majority so odd numbers are good..

Old March 17, 2000, 18:31   #6
waynehead
Prince

Local Time: 01:39
Yeah, I don't think there should be an even # of factions. It's better for the balance of power if there's a swing faction.
Old March 18, 2000, 11:41   #7
Master Marcus
Prince

Local Time: 20:39
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The non-even # of factions is interesting, though personally I think that an even # is as convenient: remember, the Governor has a Veto. If the " 4 to 4 " result at an election is illogical to you, then try diplomatically to convince another faction to vote with you. Also, a higher # of factions on the actual size map with 7 probably means a higher possibilty that the AI eradicate another one soon in the game : so even if you begin with 8 or 10 factions, you have almost the same possibility to play with non-even than even. I think the balance can be kept both ways.

------------------
The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".