View Poll Results: CompUSA has PTW on sale for $20 bucks. Is it worth it?
Yes, I wasn't gonna pay $30, but it's worth $20 just for the new civs and ai tweaks. 15 16.13%
Yes, and I'd even pay $30 for it, this game is awesome! Thanks Fireaxis! 26 27.96%
NO, multi should have been included with the release and a year later it's released buggy. This game is a disgrace. 52 55.91%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11, 2002, 20:00   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 10:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is PTW worth 20 bucks?
CompUSA has PTW on sale for 20 bucks. Is it worth it?
Old November 11, 2002, 20:39   #2
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 12:52
If you are hard-core Civ3 fan, or just like Hotseat and PEBM I would say BUY it!

In other cases...
I don't know, maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't.
Old November 11, 2002, 20:47   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:52
yes

its a much improved SP experience

and expansionist civs pop cities from huts now
Old November 11, 2002, 21:14   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I'm curious as to what the price here will be?
Old November 11, 2002, 21:38   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 06:52
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
No brainer for me in SP.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 11, 2002, 23:12   #6
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 04:52
$30, even $20, is a rip off (it's gonna be a good Christmas for the children and spouses of Hunt Valley). But from the consumer's point of view, it's worth it. Considering all the hours I've already played - much better than a movie.
Old November 11, 2002, 23:39   #7
Artifex
Prince

Well I bought it tonight at COMPUSA. $20 isn't that bad for the new civs.

If multi ever shapes up I might give that a try, but for now I guess I'll stick with single player.
Old November 12, 2002, 01:34   #8
Artifex
Prince

The nays are gaining lol...

BTW Any ETA on when multi WILL be fixed??
Old November 12, 2002, 03:17   #9
Minuteman
Warlord

I'm still on the fence with regards to this question.

For those, like me, who prefer SP mode to MP, you'll probably enjoy the additions that Firaxis has made. Whether those additions warranted an additional charge is certainly debatable, but they do enhance the title nonetheless.

However, if you want a fulfilling MP experience from PTW, then you're either better off waiting for this game to be properly patched, or taking a pass altogether.
Old November 12, 2002, 03:17   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:52
Artifex,

No announcement yet.
Old November 12, 2002, 06:09   #11
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 11:52
The SP improvements are good and generally worth the money. Heck, if I can go to a bar and spend the $30 for one evening, I can as well pay that amount for an extension for a game, that I enjoyed for a year now. The AI got some improvements, we have new civs, units, improvements and a bunch of neat new victory conditions. Sounds as if it's worth the money.

Now comes the MP part. I'm not much into online MP (lack of predictable, continuous time) and I would hardly have noticed it myself, but I keep to hear, that it's unusable, except for very simple duels. Blaming it on Gamespy is no excuse, it has been well known before, that this service is not reliable. PBEM as my favorite MP option seems to work so far (it's really not very hard to code), but again I hear about security issues, like the possibility to cheat by opening PBEM games in SP mode. Thank God there are no negative responses yet for Hotseat games, but those are the easiest kind of MP. What shall I say about a Multiplayer extension, which MP part doesn't work entirely? Sorry, but .

EDIT: I just read, that there are also pathetic flaws in hotseat mode... It's really disappointing, that the most used sentence since the release of Civ3 is "I hope they fix it in a patch".

Last edited by Harovan; November 12, 2002 at 06:59.
Old November 12, 2002, 06:34   #12
The Pioneer
Prince

Can somebody explain to me what Hotseat or PBEM is?

As Sir Ralph said, if one goes to a bar and spends $30 for a night out, he can also spend the same amount for the extension of a good game that has kept my interest for more than a decade.

On the other side, I have no interest at all for MP and from what I know about the enhancements of the SP mode makes this interesting to me.

Besides, the new civs should give it a bit more flavor.

So long...
Old November 12, 2002, 06:44   #13
Harovan
staff

Hotseat is a multiplayer game on one computer. The player, who's turn it is, sits down, does his turn, stands up, turns away, then the next one sits down and so on. Thus, playing on the "hot seat".

PBEM means "Play by email". It's MP with a savegame sent around by email. It needs to be encrypted and password protected, so that others can't open it in SP mode, play ahead and see your units and locations.
Old November 12, 2002, 07:49   #14
The Pioneer
Prince

Thank you Sir Ralph!

So long...
Old November 12, 2002, 09:21   #15
player1
Emperor

I see no probelms with Hotseat.

Don't always belive in what other say.
Old November 12, 2002, 17:50   #16
Artifex
Prince

There are alot of no votes, firaxis musta upset alot of peeps.
Old November 12, 2002, 20:43   #17
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

The new civs and the unit paks are worth $10. The improved AI and interface should have been a patch (free). The MP isn't worth anything.
Old November 12, 2002, 23:47   #18
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 03:52
It's interesting to note that the computer game journalist industry, which almost NEVER pans a game out of fear of offending a potential advertiser, has almost universally given PtW low marks.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 13, 2002, 00:06   #19
joseph1944

Yes

Old November 13, 2002, 01:41   #20
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Hmm, 10 for 20$, 17 for 30$, and 22 for neither, the yeses still have it, heh.
Old November 13, 2002, 02:44   #21
Artifex
Prince

It's shaping up to be a nailbiter lol.

I posted another poll as to favorite new civ.
Old November 13, 2002, 10:49   #22
Cian McGuire
Warlord

I've been wondering about a few things concerning the editor, and that's really going to affect my purchase, so if anyone could answer these questions, I'd be really obliged.

1. Can you play a random map game with 24 civs, or is it still limited to 16?
2. I've been hearing a lot of rumours about what was *thought* to be in the PtW editor, but no threads on what it is in actuality. Can you make flat maps? Are such basic considerations as setting the time limit or even appropriating objective points like in the original version of the Civ 2 WW2 map or Roman map?
Old November 13, 2002, 13:05   #23
muxec
Prince

Local Time: 13:52
**** ! I will buy it only for 10$ because it is equal to warez-CD cost
Old November 13, 2002, 14:22   #24
Argos65987
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Cian McGuire
I've been wondering about a few things concerning the editor, and that's really going to affect my purchase, so if anyone could answer these questions, I'd be really obliged.

1. Can you play a random map game with 24 civs, or is it still limited to 16?
yes

Quote:
2. I've been hearing a lot of rumours about what was *thought* to be in the PtW editor, but no threads on what it is in actuality. Can you make flat maps?
yes

Quote:
Are such basic considerations as setting the time limit or even appropriating objective points like in the original version of the Civ 2 WW2 map or Roman map?
yes again
Old November 13, 2002, 16:45   #25
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

No.

and haha, No is winning...both in majorit of the three options and in thne majority of the first two combined!
Old November 13, 2002, 17:31   #26
WarpStorm
King

You have to wonder how many of the yes's and no's actually played PTW or are just voting for the sake of making a statement.
Old November 13, 2002, 18:32   #27
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Probably a half or at least a third. Wouldn't be suprised if some are voting who never even had the intention of trying it.
Old November 14, 2002, 02:23   #28
Artifex
Prince

True, many were upset that multi wasn't included with the original game.
Old November 14, 2002, 03:39   #29
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

You have to admit, Firaxis/IG have their part of fault. The result of the poll is a deserved one. If PtW was outstanding, the original whiners would have been reduced to silence. Now they're coming back yelling "we told you so!".

Nevertheless, I'll buy PtW.

PS No, I didn't vote and it's annoying that I have to check every time the "view poll results" link.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; November 14, 2002 at 04:47.
Old November 14, 2002, 05:31   #30
Harovan
staff

I also didn't vote, although I posted my opinion, because the poll options are silly and biased. I would have voted "Yes, and I'd even pay $30 for it", if there wasn't the dumbass "this game is awesome! Thanks Fireaxis!" after it. No, it ain't awesome. The MP part is a big disappointment. And so far I have no reason to say thank you, at least not yet.

Heck, I bought a lot of games for even more money, checked them for an hour or a couple of days and then trashed them, EU2 being one of those. Sure, if money would be an issue... but on the other hand, I was out yesterday and spent the same amount for a nice evening and an awful hangover, so compared with this it's surely worth it. Alone for the SP improvements, the improved AI and the fact, that it's still supported and not abandoned shortly after release, like so many other games and, in particular, other TBS.

Tiberius: Yea, buy it, but don't expect too much from MP .