Old November 11, 2002, 23:24   #1
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
President Campaign Thread
Current Candidates (will be updated tomorrow to add any last-minute contenders):

Aggie

---------------

Aggie, please post your thoughts on running for President. Citizens, please ask (and any additional candidates that enter the race) him questions.

For referenece, job description of the President:

1 The President
(a) The President shall physically play the game and post the save and a report of the game to the forum.
(b) The game shall be played on a regular and scheduled basis whenever possible,
(i) In the event of a national emergency, the President shall halt play so that the crisis can be resolved.
(ii) If the President is unable to play the game on a regular and scheduled basis, the Vice President shall play it.
(c) The President may use turnchats, turnthreads, or any other method approved by the Senate to play the game.
(d) The President must follow the instructions of the Senate and Ministers while playing the game unless the instruction is clearly erroneous, or made impossible and/or harmful by changed circumstances. If the President makes changes to the instructions due to these problems, he must abide by the intent of the Senate or Minister in making the changes.
(e) The President appoints and reappoints Judges to the Court whenever there is a vacancy. Such appointments must be approved by a majority of the Senate as prescribed in Art. II Section 2e.
(f) The President appoints temporary Ministers should any resign or be impeached. The appointment must be approved by a majority of the Senate as prescribed in Art. II Section 2e.
(i) No current Minister or Judge may be appointed to serve in a vacant post.
(g) The President has control over the economy/science/luxury slider and may make changes when he feels they are appropriate.
(h) The President decides what technology to research next.
(i) The President approves all spending requests in the absence of a direct spending law or motion by the Senate.
(j) The President, with the approval of the Supreme Military Commander or Domestic Minister, has the power to draft citizens.
(k) The President must appoint a Vice President and may appoint any other deputy ministers, such as for science and the economy, as he or she feels necessary.
(i) The Vice President must be appointed in accordance with Article VII, Section 6.
(ii) The Vice President assumes all powers and responsibilities of the President should the President be unable to perform.
(iii) The Vice President shall assist the President in the duties of his or her office whenever possible.
(iv) The President may not dismiss the Vice President. The Vice President may only be removed via impeachment.
Old November 11, 2002, 23:39   #2
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Thanks for the service of posting duties

it has certainly helped my decision making proces.
Old November 11, 2002, 23:56   #3
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

What are my plans as President. First the practical, I intend to have turnchats as we have in the past. They will be on Frid/Sat/Sun. The other weekly chat might use the same format, if so it will be on Wednesday, but the time would have to be earlier, than normal(between 1600-2200 GMT). Another option is to do a split chat 3 hours to start, then later or the next day play 3 more hours. Basically I will listen and see if this can be done. If not we will stick with the current chat system. Another idea i have had for a while that I would like to put forward is to run chats the following way. The ministers will each carry out their orders and send the saves to the next minster. Only orders of great importance or debate need be carried out by the president personally. When the save is complete except for these orders I will play the rest of the turn as ordered. If this is not possible I understand and will continue as we have done.
Now for policy and the useage of the presidents greatest power leadership and persuassion. I will use this position to try to attained a concesus on the course of the nation. I will put forward my plans and ideas and try to lead the nation. However, I will always keep the will of the people as guide to my decisions. As you know by now I see no alternative to war with germany, they are a tech power and will continue to out research us until we have reduced their ability to research. So I will try to guide our nation in the direction that will accomplish this goal. Sciencewise and economics wise I am firmly convinced that we should continue to buy techs until such time as we can break ahead in the tech race. for the record I see TOE as an important wonder, those techs could help us erase some of the deficit or perhaps give us techs to trade elsewhere. On the decision to draft citizens, I will see if doing that is more efficient than building new units, especially in our internal cities. I am sure I missed something it is late and I am rather tired, but since I saw this thread I decided I better put some ideas forward so if somebody truly dislikes these points they can have a chance to run against me.
Aggie

Last edited by Aggie; November 12, 2002 at 00:03.
Old November 12, 2002, 10:45   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 04:52
What role do you see your VP as filling?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 12, 2002, 14:48   #5
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 04:52
If elected, and so far this would only mean beating yourself, do you intend to name a city "College Station"?
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 12, 2002, 17:01   #6
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ruby_maser
If elected, and so far this would only mean beating yourself, do you intend to name a city "College Station"?
This reminds me of the fact that I haven't gotten to name a city yet either
Old November 13, 2002, 12:27   #7
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Sorry it took me so long to answer the questions posted to me, I was very busy yesterday. First, what role do I see in the VP? First and foremost I see him as the highest advisor to me and my assistant. I would like him to host 1 or 2 turnchats during the term. If he has extra time perhaps overseeing the directory could be added to his duties. This is an important term because much of what the VP roles will be established this term. Thats does bring us to the establishment of the presidents role. Though the president has many official powers(finally), it is the power of leadership that is most important, in short using the "bully pulpit", to give ideas and encourage those ideas to our nation. The VP will be very important in this cause as a campaigner for the ideas of the presidency. Will the VP have to agree with me on everything?. Absolutely not, if he did it would diminish both his office and the presidency. I actually will depend on his honest advice and opinion. But, he should be in roughly a similar position so we agree on a common future for apolyton in general if not on the details.
Next question,"Will I name a city college station?". I don't know yet, my bachelors degree was from A&M, but I went to another university for advanced degrees and might want to honor this university. I actually did cheer against A&M this weekend against OU, not because I like OU, I hate them, but because I hate University of Texas even more and don't want them to get a national championship that they don't deserve. Though I am of the opinion that the glory of our armies has honored me enough and that I don't need a city named for me, but I might call a city in honor of our forces such as "knight's home" etc. if I must name a city.
Aggie