Old November 12, 2002, 18:21   #61
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 05:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, I didnt do a search for each issue, but aside from the "here's what's ****ed up thread" and "here's what I love about PtW, I'll pay any amount money for anything with Sid Meiers name on it even if it doesnt work thread ", ................... no I didnt find any (many)

As per che's previous instructions I've added some apostrophes (and commas).
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old November 12, 2002, 18:25   #62
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:53
Tell the truth Mark - do you have a commercial relationship with Firaxis? Any payola going on here? How much do they pay to advertise here?

Did they fly you out to the states to see the special lab where they screw up games?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 12, 2002, 18:26   #63
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

It's the "personal" , "look at me" review threads that are subject to instant closing. If you have a specific issue that isn't being covered, feel free to start a thread on it. But if you just happen to mix it in as one small line in a "my 5 minute review" thread, it will be closed.

Again... we don't need a new "My feelings" thread from everybody that bought the game. There are plenty of threads already for that purpose.
Old November 12, 2002, 18:30   #64
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I get ya Mingster. It just seems like a silly way to do things.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old November 12, 2002, 18:39   #65
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Not silly at all... If we didn't clamp down on the personal "MY review" threads, that's about all that would be there... which doesn't serve the purposes of this forum. It would hinder having threads about specific issues that can lead to real serious discussions about that specific issue, instead of a bunch of threads with only a few resposnses saying "I agree with you" or " I disagree with you"...

There are some sites that would love you to do your own personal reviews of the game... Some even designed for that specific purpose... the PTW Forums here isn't such a place
Old November 12, 2002, 18:45   #66
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Ming, agreed. I have to admit that recently I've stayed away from that forum because I don't want to wade through everyone's personal opinion (that all begin to sound the same). Yes, I get it. There are some problems. The same thing happened when CIV III came out. It was quite a while before I started checking it out again. I don't mind people complaining, but I get tired of reading it over and over again. I want to read something different and it's hard to find it unless it's somewhat controlled.

Thanks for your efforts.

RAH
Totally unbiased.
Old November 12, 2002, 18:48   #67
Alexander's Horse
Deity

What is wrong with people expressing their "feelings" about the game? A lot of people find those threads interesting.

Old November 12, 2002, 18:48   #68
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Thanks for your efforts.
RAH
Totally unbiased.
Thanks bro...
Old November 12, 2002, 18:49   #69
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
What is wrong with people expressing their "feelings" about the game? A lot of people find those threads interesting.
Nothing... but why does everybody need their own "look at me thread" to do it. It's much easier to post them in a thread that has other peoples feeling as well...
Old November 12, 2002, 18:49   #70
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 12:53
Quote:
Originally posted by rah

I want to read something different and it's hard to find it unless it's somewhat controlled.
Maybe you should then read my latest "Rasbelin speaks up again" post. It sure has something worth to read at least.
Old November 12, 2002, 18:55   #71
Anaximander
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 04:53
Alright, I will say that I still firmly dissagree with the locking of perfectly good opinion threads. However, I don't think that it is cool to continue to make personal attacks against MarkG or any of the other Apolyton staff.

Quote:
Tell the truth Mark - do you have a commercial relationship with Firaxis? Any payola going on here? How much do they pay to advertise here?
Horsie, this totally uncalled for. I would thank you not to make these kind of attacks in my thread. I created this thread with the hopes of having an open and frank discusion with everyone in the Apolyton community. Thus far I have been quite happy with the way everyone and everything has been handled. In my opinion, the Apolyton staff have gone above and beyond by letting this discusion take place. After all, this IS a private web site and they CAN do what they want. The fact that they let it continue shows real professionalism on their parts.

It is comments like yours that cause the need for the moderators to be so villigent.
Old November 12, 2002, 19:02   #72
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaximander

Horsie, this totally uncalled for.
Why? Its widely known the gaming industry is rife with payola and kickbacks - why do think absolute dog games get such wonderful reviews and mods on fan sites censor negative threads?

Quote:
It is comments like yours that cause the need for the moderators to be so villigent.
Oh go and have another prune or something

Old November 12, 2002, 19:05   #73
Tuberski

Quote:
Do you not get it?

Try this:

1. The feeling was expressed.

2. Since the feeling was expressed anything after that will be "fanboy vs. whiner" flame wars.

3. The flame wars do not help anybody in any way.

4. The opinion was expressed therefore no need for the thread any longer.

5. Thread is locked but not deleted. If anybody cares to read it they can.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old November 12, 2002, 19:07   #74
neotek
Settler

Local Time: 10:53
Lol @ your comment Alexander...

"Tell the truth Mark - do you have a commercial relationship with Firaxis? Any payola going on here?"

No, they probably don't. But HEY!! they do get to feel "special" and have little swamp infested cities named after them in the game like Mingapulco. How appropriate eh?

And you know what I think is going on... Poor MarkG is feeling a little left out.

He didn't get a city named after him yet... apparently he needs to do a little better in the ass kissing department and so Firaxis has shunned and forgotten him, awww tear ;( sniff

So MarkG comeon get with the program! If you keep at it and are a good boy maybe maybe!! one day you too will be rewarded for your devotion and opinion supression. Just imagine it, you will be opening up PTW with the latest patch 7.72f, version 9, revision 21 and there it will be:

Markofagolopolis!!

Hooray!! Oh yes, I am looking forward to razing it.

Neotek
Old November 12, 2002, 19:16   #75
Alexander's Horse
Deity

This "we've had that view before" argument would have some merit if both positive and negative opinions of the game were being culled out. But its only negative opinions that get shut down.

Its a clear case of censorship and owner/mod bias - and completely pointless because just about every second newbie that comes along is posting a thread complaining about the game. I think they are keeping the closed threads visible because they hope it might be a deterrent. They are vainly trying to stem the flood of compaints about a very shoddy product. Its CTP all over again. Mark G, our own King Canute

As for the "this is private site argument". Fine, do what you like - do I care if you make a fool of yourself? But don't pretend you're being even handed and this is all just forum housekeeping, LOL. It insults the intelligence of users.

Its very clear what you are doing - the "why" is the interesting question

Old November 12, 2002, 19:20   #76
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Come on. Horsie. That's like claiming that I get paid by Markos for listing and maintaining Poly's listings on DMOZ.

Well, maybe they get to beta test games like many others, yes, but that's still not bribery or backstage funding. Far away from that.
Old November 12, 2002, 19:23   #77
Alexander's Horse
Deity

If there isn't a commercial relationship Mark can just say so

They are also selling the game of course

Old November 12, 2002, 19:28   #78
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

carefull readers should notice how horsie did not respond back on the issue of never being banned for stating his opinion but rather on spam and trolling...
Old November 12, 2002, 19:28   #79
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
But its only negative opinions that get shut down.
Maybe it has something to do that messages with a strong negatibe and emotional message often tend to be spiced up with some kind words like "this game sucks badly" or "you figging ******** at Firaxis that can't even make a Tetris clone", etc.
Quote:
Its a clear case of censorship and owner/mod bias - and completely pointless because just about every second newbie that comes along is posting a thread complaining about the game. I think they are keeping the closed threads visible because they hope it might be a deterrent. They are vainly trying to stem the flood of compaints about a very shoddy product. Its CTP all over again. Mark G, our own King Canute
Censorship? AFAIK no one has ever said that you can't express negative opinions on Poly, if they're well argued with facts and good personal opinions.

King Canute? Oh my... Maybe we should dress you up like Robert Mugabe then. Whines and plays stubborn without any good arguements.
Quote:
As for the "this is private site argument". Fine, do what you like - do I care if you make a fool of yourself?
Who's the fool now, Horsie? Need a mirror?
Old November 12, 2002, 19:35   #80
Rasbelin
Emperor

I just wonder if any of the whiners have heard about something called "constructive criticism." If you haven't heard about that, I recommend that you start exercising that. That's a good way to get anything improved by using criticism in a constructive way.
Old November 12, 2002, 19:39   #81
Ming
lifer
Retired

Yeah yeah horsie, pretty lame troll on you part. Anybody with half a brain can just look through the PTW and see plenty of negative comments about the game that aren't in closed threads.

So what's your excuse for not seeing all the negative comments horsie
Old November 12, 2002, 21:06   #82
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
carefull readers should notice how horsie did not respond back on the issue of never being banned for stating his opinion but rather on spam and trolling...
Careful readers should note that horsie doesn't respond to red herrings

So, Mark, are you going to answer the question or not?

Hey Ming, you lost the argument, get over it

Old November 12, 2002, 21:20   #83
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

of course we're payed from firaxis! havent you seen our gloating review of ptw yet?
Old November 12, 2002, 21:26   #84
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Its probably more not wanting to bite the hand that feeds you. You did the same thing with CTP I and II.

But its interesting you won't give a straight answer to a very simple question

Old November 12, 2002, 21:34   #85
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

the answer is no
not "no" but "no "

but how do you describe someone who is able to see but asks others what the color of the sun is?
Old November 12, 2002, 21:38   #86
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse Hey Ming, you lost the argument, get over it
And how is that... you are the one saying that negative comments aren't being allowed, yet the PTW forum is full of them... seems like you are the losser in this one to anybody that can see the proof for themselves

So... just another horsie troll that just doesn't seem to be working Maybe your next one will work better than this one did
Old November 12, 2002, 21:38   #87
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

btw, i was describing ctp1's problems before even the game was out
but then again you already know that since all you be doing is digging up answered issues from the past(while trying to hide your own obsession to troll behind an imaginary persona that is supposed to fight and get banned for the right to speak )
Old November 12, 2002, 21:55   #88
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Oooh! No need to get sooo defensive guys

So basically what you are saying Mark is you do have a commercial relationship with Firaxis and that is why you are censoring negative comments about PTW.

Right, I thought so.

Old November 12, 2002, 21:58   #89
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

right...

when you get real answers it's "geting defensive"....

sorry but your thread got horsified Anaximander...