Old November 14, 2002, 15:11   #31
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
Started playing Civ in 93 when I was in the Navy on the Amiga-damn slowwwwww.....
Yes, similar time for me, I used to play it on an old Atari ST, damn was it slow, and you had to do all that floppy disk swapping It is amazing what luxury the PC version seemed...
Old November 14, 2002, 21:20   #32
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 21:53
At least with my Tandy 1000 I had a harddrive. But at 3mhz, it took forever for it to generate a world. With no mouse, moving and clicking on things were a true joy as well.
Old November 14, 2002, 22:36   #33
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
it took forever for it to generate a world
My version only generated about 4 different worlds. Kind of annoying, but by no means the most annoying feature of trying to play Civ1 on such a museum piece as the Amiga.
Old November 14, 2002, 23:07   #34
Tuberski

Local Time: 05:53
Playing on the Civ 1 on the Amiga, it makes me laugh when people complain about how slow Civ 3 is.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old November 14, 2002, 23:42   #35
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 03:53
I first registered here in April of 1999. Shortly after SMAC came out. I first went to the offical alpha.owo boards that was listed in the manual I think. And people over there mentioned Apolyton. they said Apolyton was a bunch of losers. But I came anyways .
Old November 15, 2002, 00:25   #36
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 21:53
Mine would routinely crash trying to generate a new world, or if it didn't, it would go throught the entire introductory sequence and then have a flashing message "Generating World" for an additional 15 minutes.
Old November 15, 2002, 05:26   #37
spartak
King

Local Time: 10:53
What brough me here?

Wind.
Old November 15, 2002, 12:16   #38
Dauphin
Deity

Don't eat so many baked beans.
Old November 15, 2002, 12:52   #39
tniem
King

Civ I on my old computer took a good half hour to generate a new world. Many times I would start a game and save it and then play that save a couple different times. It wasn't ideal as you already knew what the map would look like and where everyone was but it saved a lot of time waiting for a new world to generate when you just wanted to play some civ.
Old November 15, 2002, 16:30   #40
Provost Harrison
Deity

Yes, the ST must have had some pre-generated maps in there. After a while of playing civ I suddenly realised, "Hey, I've played this map before!"...and hell even if you picked a different map type, it would just add and replace bits of land or change terrain types

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 15, 2002, 18:55   #41
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Mine would routinely crash trying to generate a new world, or if it didn't, it would go throught the entire introductory sequence and then have a flashing message "Generating World" for an additional 15 minutes.
I could never skip the intro, it would have been so annoying if I wasn't used to Amstrad cassette games that took upto 30 minutes to load.

The music was good though.
Old November 15, 2002, 20:27   #42
Provost Harrison
Deity

On the ST I could skip most of the intro but it would require precision timing and knowing exactly when to 'click'

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 15, 2002, 20:28   #43
Provost Harrison
Deity

God, weren't old computers awful when you think about it and get past that fake veneer of nostalgia...

Old November 15, 2002, 23:04   #44
Dauphin
Deity

Whats scary is that those computers are to the Apollo programme computers as computers in ten years are to them.
Old November 16, 2002, 10:04   #45
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:53
Prior to coming here, I had played civ, col and civ2, and was just beginning on C:CtP. I was kind of getting stuck in my games and ended up searching the web for strategies, which brought me to Apolyton's strategy pages. After reading them for a few weeks(?), someone posted that Apolyton also had forums. I visited out of curiosity, and have been here ever since.
Old November 16, 2002, 12:21   #46
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
Whats scary is that those computers are to the Apollo programme computers as computers in ten years are to them.
I've been reading that one over and over again and I still don't get what you are trying to say
Old November 16, 2002, 12:32   #47
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

I understand I think. The Amiga and Atari computers had multi times the computing power of the computers that put men and women into space and to the moon. Today we regard those machines - the Amiga and Atari as - very slow.
Old November 16, 2002, 12:40   #48
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Regarding the main question. I first got Civ 1 for the Atari, played a few turns and my atari floppy disc loader began to chew up the discs. end of round 1

When I got the PC I also got Civ2. Then SMAC. Like everyone else I climbed my way up through the levels and played every faction.

At last when I could beat the AI in Sp very regularly I thought I'd investigate the MP option.

So typed in Civilisation and Alpha Centauri and here I am. Discover ideas here that I would never have thought of.

Still loved the old Atari though and there are still games I never finished.
Old November 16, 2002, 13:42   #49
Provost Harrison
Deity

You wouldn't love it if you had to go back to it. Nostalgia can distort the truth

Old November 16, 2002, 15:03   #50
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 12:53
I was sent here by altavista.
Old November 16, 2002, 19:08   #51
Chieftess
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Chieftess

Local Time: 06:53
What brought me here? Well, it all started about 5-6 long years ago, well before the Ultimate Civ II Site and the First Greek Civ2 Site merged...

(I'm going to make a thread on it, you'll see...)
Old November 16, 2002, 19:48   #52
Promethus
Settler

Found a link on the Civ III Home Site after I got Civ III. I just found my original DOS floppies for Civ I. I still remember how much FUN it was playing with memory managers and configurations to get it to fit in base memory because it could not use extended memory.
Old November 16, 2002, 19:57   #53
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Civ II. Came to the Greek Site when the Addicted Site closed it's forums down for remodeling
Old November 16, 2002, 20:11   #54
Dauphin
Deity

Sorry about the poor grammar and syntax, just look at the time I posted it. 3am.
Old November 17, 2002, 03:54   #55
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Wow, never thought that this thread would take off like it did.

I always think that it's interesting to know how everyone ended up where they are, being a relative n00b here.
Old November 19, 2002, 17:59   #56
Chieftess
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Chieftess

Yeah, I've been around since 1996/1997... just that my join date doesn't show it.

*watches Ming mess with my account again*
Old November 25, 2002, 15:33   #57
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 04:53
CivII... a friend of mine had played through and was just trying to kill the Russians in a cold-war-gone-bad scenario where they were both just constantly shooting nukes at each other.

He finally gave up on the game but I was so amazed by the "what if" possibilities that I downloaded a demo... you know, that demo where you can only play so long (in turns) and I would race myself to see how quickly I could get to Gunpowder...

Finally, once CivII MPG came out for the Mac I just had to get it.

Then it was CivII: ToT... and then CtP and SMAC/SMAX.

My cousin actually bought the CtP copy first... but once I got to college I started searching online for a Civ site... and wandered in here finally in 2001... I don't even remember when I became super-active... but once I stumbled into the CtP forums that was it... now I'm a permanent fixture.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old November 25, 2002, 18:51   #58
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Back in the old days I had a 386. It wasn't very good at running flight simulation or real time games, then one day down at Babbage's I noticed a new game called "Civilization". I fell in love at first sight. Being turn based it had no problems with running on my computer. When I got internet in '95 I discovered by accident this area on Yahoo! devoted to game links, that led to my finding the old Ultimate Civ website. When Dan upgraded the site my computer couldn't handle it, so I wandered away for a year or so, then came back to find that Apolyton had replaced Ultimate Civ.
Old November 26, 2002, 05:25   #59
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

I think the SMAC forums were the first place I posted..........but being here rekindled my interest in civ2 and that took over. The civ 3 forums took up most of my time whilst I was playing that.
Old November 26, 2002, 13:02   #60
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 10:53
Bought Smac, and was having trouble mastering the game at the outset. lurked around here since early 2000 for game tips, and registered in 2001.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.