Old November 12, 2002, 10:12   #1
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Local Time: 04:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yep, it's a totally different beast...
This is not so much a complaint as an observation: Has anyone noticed that the starting positions on the random maps tend to be scrap for the human players ?

I've been experimenting with the new civs and have found that most games don't last past 1000 AD, because I have yet to get a decent start. I've seen some wonderful resources around my cities, but without rivers to irrigate, you can't come close to producing settlers at the rate the AI civs do it. And this leaves only warmongering to balance the scale. The AI civs all seem to get starts with either Flood Plains or at least a river at their capital site.

The last game I started was a classic. Two hills with gold, two wheat on plains, and desert all around. I explored a considerable area of the map before running into anyone, and I couldn't find a river to irrigate with so the best I could do was 2 food per square. As a credit to the first AI civ I found, it had irrigated almost every square possible and had populations of 5-6 in all their cities, while the best I had was 4 and most were stuck at 2.

This is not a chance occurence since every start since installing and patching PtW has been like this. And as for resources, the maps seem to have more resources so trading options are minimal or non existant (and I still have use the editory to get the silly AI civs to build harbours when they are on small continents...)

I like the AI agressiveness, but it will take some more tinkering to balance out the playing field at Regent level at least. It's enough to be behind by a couple of units or techs, but to have to be dead last in population is a death sentence at any level.

D.

- Chinese Proverb
Old November 12, 2002, 10:18   #2
Amadan
Chieftain

Last game I started was right next to a river, lots grassland and gold on a mountain nearby. Decent spots for second and third cities close by, with incence and wine.
Old November 12, 2002, 10:43   #3
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 05:54
I disagree, it's a crap shoot. Sometimes you luck out other times you don't. More often than not I've had a decent start are.
Old November 12, 2002, 10:49   #4
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Warpstorm,

I know it's supposed to be luck of the draw, but every game since the install ? (about 10 starts)

The ones I love the best are the small islands with mountains as the most common land type, or the peninsula and mountains combination. I guess I was spoiled by locations I could work to better advantage in CivIII. At least the terrain looks nice even if I can't do much with it.

D.

- Chinese Proverb
Old November 12, 2002, 19:12   #5
Switch
Prince

It's just bad luck, I guess. I have great and decent starts, but not really any bad ones since install.
Old November 12, 2002, 19:23   #6
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 06:54
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'm with the General... I've been getting crap. I'm a re-starter though, within reason, so ctrl-shft-q it is.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 13, 2002, 00:39   #7
Carver
Prince

I almost always get a river at startup, I almost thought it was automatic. What I hate is all the jungle I usually have to clear somewhere in my civ. But once it's cleared, that's very satisfying.
Old November 13, 2002, 01:12   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Been getting rivers at least half the time.
Old November 13, 2002, 01:30   #9
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

At least I'm not alone
Theseus,

It's good to know I'm not the only one. Thought I was loosing it or something.

Guess it's back to being fussy about the starting site again. With 1.29, I never had a site I couldn't work given some scouting, but like I said, it's a totally different beast now.

Well I have yet to try the Koreans so they will get the next round of abuse from the AI.

D.

- Chinese Proverb
Old November 13, 2002, 01:43   #10
Minmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 02:54
yea i been gettin really crappy starting positions too.
my major problem right now is the barbarians. i think the barbarians in ptw puts out warriors and horseman at a very high rate. one turn u see 1 barb warrior and next turn u see 2 barb, 2 horsies and its tuff to run all of dem down.
Old November 13, 2002, 02:29   #11
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Actually, I've gotten some of the best start locations I've ever had since the XP. So, I guess that just reinforces the crap-shoot idea.
Old November 13, 2002, 15:05   #12
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

I used to get rivers, and sometimes rivers with shields and a bunch of cattle...now I rarely see cattle...and many times I am not near a river. I'm in the cntrl shift q crowd. If it doesn't look good, then I don't bother.
Old November 14, 2002, 02:37   #13
wilbill
Warlord

I've had a string of better than average starting locations, too. A couple of real beauties.

Pre-PTW, good/bad starts always seemed to run in streaks of 8 or 10 in a row. I imagine PTW will do the same.
Old November 14, 2002, 09:53   #14
Lewsir
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:54
One thing I've begun to do in regular CIV III (haven't bought PTW yet) is modify so you can irrigate without rivers (or any connection to water) beginning with construction. I'm not even sure when this normally kicks in but it usually shows up much later. This removes some of the disparity between the haves and have-nots early in the game.
Old November 14, 2002, 21:15   #15
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

That would work, lewsir, but the extra commerce early on is one of the keys to having a good start.
Old November 15, 2002, 04:28   #16
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

I've had some really awesome starts and some unbelievably cruddy ones.

The problem with "random" on computers is, there's not really any such thing.

Take Theseus' lead and restart if you are unhappy.
Personally, I've had so many rivers lately, I forgot how painful it is to have to build Aqueducts.

Better luck to ya'.
Old November 15, 2002, 04:53   #17
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 13:54
I play with what I get. More crappier the start, more interesting/challenging the game.