Old January 13, 2001, 14:15   #1
Smokey tha nuke man
Warlord

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The ultimate war!!!
i'm playing against my freind(he's playing as the celts). all other civs were killed btween 1800-1890 ad.
the map is the premade world (large). we have nuked each other so many time the world has gone thru 12 global warmings. i've lost about 200 units, the enemy has lost around the same. we keep capturting and liberating cities. when it went to 2020, we agreed that we had to finish it, no matter how long it took. it's now 4000ad. right now, we each have around 100 something units, (mainly tanks, transports, and battle ships, with a couple rifle men and partisans) i have something like 55 cities. he has 49 or so. my treasury is 8000 gold.i don't know how rich he is. so far neither one of us has been able to maintain an offensive for long. his cities all have sam's, city walls, and sdi's. same goes for me. anyway, COULD SOMEBODY GIVE ME SOME TIPS, SUGGESTIONS, SOMETHING!!! PLEASE!!!

------------------
"our words are backed by nuclear weapons"
"oh, yeah. well, our nukes are backed by 100%money back guarantee, so there."
[This message has been edited by Smokey tha nuke man (edited January 13, 2001).]
Old January 13, 2001, 14:41   #2
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:50
Spies
Old January 13, 2001, 14:52   #3
Smokey tha nuke man
Warlord

tried it. they always get killed way before they can bribe anything. his territoray is very well defended. only tanks can even get close to his cities.
Old January 13, 2001, 15:19   #4
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

spies & tanks & mech have the same movement factor, move them stacked.
Old January 13, 2001, 19:35   #5
Basileus of the Romans
Settler

I agree with the spies. Use them in droves to KO the city defenses, but have Artillery and Mech Inf to take the city soon after the defenses are gone, as he can easily rush build them back. Also, what are your respective governments?
Old January 13, 2001, 19:55   #6
Smokey tha nuke man
Warlord

both fundies.
Old January 14, 2001, 00:51   #7
Basileus of the Romans
Settler

You should have a rather large treasury then! Have you considered buying off the cities or poisoning the water so the cities cannot produce war machines as fast?

This may degenerate into a CIA/KGB type conflict
Old January 14, 2001, 04:44   #8
KhanMan
Prince

I'd try an overwhelming attack, heading for his capital in a straight line. Attack him from whatever direction you can get to his capital the fastest, and hit him with about 6 carriers full of nukes and helicopters, plus as many transports full of howies and mechs as you can swing.

The goal would be to grab his capital, and, on the way, grab some cities. Remember, even if he recaptures the cities you take, you have the net gain, since he's lost time and production counter-attacking.

Alternatievly, you could try beating him up with air and naval power, using battleships and stealth fighters/bombers to grind down his defenses and isolate cities, then invade...

Just MHO, though...

-KhanMan
Old January 14, 2001, 08:05   #9
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 23:50
Try employing a strategy of burned earth. Ravage and destroy anything that might be useful to the opponent.
Pillage irrigation, mines, roads, railroads unless you can use them, and fortresses unless you can use them.
Capture a city, sell of as many improvments as you can, make sure to take in all workers so to starve it and use no more than a single unit to defend it. Repeat the process as often as possible with as many cities and also ravage the cities with spies.

Are you close enough to use paratroopers? Use them in numbers to take undefended cities and strategic positions in order to disrupt the ability to deploy troops freely. But you will need a long breath and a lot of time since you both have SDIs.

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
http://members.nbci.com/thalys
Old January 15, 2001, 01:08   #10
Basileus of the Romans
Settler

There is, of course, the possible fact that both of you are so evenly matched, that continued attacks by either side are utterly futile.

So, to resolve your game, you could agree to a "cease fire" for, say 20 turns or so, whereupon you two will gather your entire military force (city garrisions and all) on a declared "neutral ground" (a moderately-sized island would work), where upon the end of the 20 turns, proceed to have the two militaries duke it out in a final showdown. Reinforcements would not be allowed- only what you could send over in 20 turns (or whatever time frame you two agree on) would be declared the winner of the game and have the ravaged planet as the reward.

Bragging rights, too
Old January 15, 2001, 08:18   #11
East Street Trader
Prince

Head off to AC.
Old January 15, 2001, 09:13   #12
Mike.doc
Chieftain

Burned earth, with selling all the improvements of all the captured cities as soon as possible. Broke the road just in front of, fly out and stand in the neigbourhood to capture it again to make these cities quickly weak or bloodless, spies to destroy a max OR to stop the war and begin another one with a new spirit.
Give us some war report!
Old January 15, 2001, 09:29   #13
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 19:20
The best thing to do would probably wage a war with spies. Although costly you may be able to turn the tables with a massive push or spies to bribe/kill his units and then your own to join the fray.
If your able to send 20 spies and bribe 5 units with 20 or so units of your own you may be able to take and hold 4 or 5 cities. A few of these attacks and the war is over. But if you can use 40 spies or so and buy his cities and then his units too and then take 3 or 4 cities with a solid defense the game is yours!!! Anyway...

Is there anyway I could get a copy of this game (from like 3000 ad or 4000ad)? I would like to try it with a friend of mine. Sounds pretty cool!!!

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
"If LESS is MORE, just think of how much MORE, MORE would be!"
I AM CANADIAN!
Civfanatics.com Civ 2 Multiplayer Ladder!
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old January 15, 2001, 15:09   #14
niteowl
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola on 01-13-2001 01:41 PM
Spies

I agree that spies are the way to go. Being a vindictive warmonger myself, I thrive on conflict so here is how I would proceed....

1) Go for the capitol. You take out his palace and everything goes to $%## in a handbasket for him. (I know on a single player game that if you take out the capitol, it splits the nation into 2 separate factions - don't know what it would do on a multiplayer game though - but I'm sure it would be NASTY)

2) Use spies to sabatoge things like city walls, SAM batteries, and poison the water supply.

3) Then you can nuke the capitol creating all kinds of pollution thus diminishing his production even further.

Alternately, if you send enough units to surround the capitol in the 24 tiles around it, you can starve them out but this takes way too much time and you risk troops from other cities coming along to take out your attrition force.

------------------
"My dear girl don't flatter yourself.
What I did this evening was for king and
country. You don't think it gave me any
pleasure do you?

--- James Bond
[This message has been edited by niteowl (edited January 15, 2001).]
Old January 15, 2001, 16:25   #15
Kristjan
Warlord

What about the landscape types? How many coastline tiles do you both have? Maybe you have just a bit better landscape for global warming, so another 12 global warmings would kill him but save you.
Old January 15, 2001, 17:44   #16
Smokey tha nuke man
Warlord

update.
i tried another asault with 20 spies, 10 tanks, a couple howies, and whatever other units i could spare. i then procede to bribe, sabatoage, attack and all that good stuff. took 5 cities by 4010. then he turns around and unloads every last nuke he had (at least, i hope that's all the nukes he had. i don't have any ) another global warming. of course, there are no sdis in sight. he then takes all the cities. i try to retrat to my transports, but he destroys them with battle ships before my navy can get there. now i've got three tanks. a spy, a rifleman,2 fantics, and a musketeer.(i bribed him from a barb group i found along the way). and he's hell bent on crushing them all. i manage to bribe a tank. . only 1 tank an the riflemen made it to my transport when it arrived, and the riflemen were down about 2 hit points or so. (the tank was still in the green, though that's because of pure luck alone). to ensure he wouldn't try to follow my units to my "seaport" city , i left behind most of my navy (and if there's one thing i have his ass beat bad in, it's naval power, though i'm not the greatest at naval based strategies). again i tied an assault, first i useda stealth bomber/fighter, battleship, and sub assault to clear the waters and weaken his land defenses. then i moved in a 10 spy, 30 tank, 15 howie, and 10 alpine troops land assault. as of now, i have failed to capture any cities, nor do i know if i have made a considerable dent in his defenses, but my intial assault (plus the fact that i kept around a sizeable naval force) should keep him from launching a counter invasion while i'm trying to make this latest campaign a sucsess. keep posting here, i need all the help i can get. oh, yeah, in case your wondering:

naval supremecy:me
land suprmecy: i'd have to say that's pretty even
air supremecy: can't say, he really hasn't used an air force, but i know he can build one. but all indicators would say me....but that's just from what i've seen. and he has a tendency to hold back until he thinks he's going to lose (case in point, the nukes)
Old January 16, 2001, 01:10   #17
East Street Trader
Prince

My guess is that specials will, after 12 rounds of global warming, represent a disproportionate large part of total available resources. Maybe you both built on specials originally but I'm guessing not.

So do so now.

Target the specials squares in his territory one at a time. Pre-work an engineer and then infiltrate it onto the special square and make a fortress. Move your mobile infantry units in. He attacks with his howies, stealth bombers, whatever. You go through the attrition thing. Be ready so that if, at the end of the battle, you have kept the special square you can found on top of it, disbanding a small unit and incrementally rush building SDI, then the same for SAM/aegis cruiser. OK, once his production allows, he's going to come at you, there or elsewhere, with his nukes and heavyweight attackers again - but that will just be a continuation of the stalemate battles you've been having. The difference will be that, if you hang on to the special square, you will be getting that production and he'll lose it. Sounds like you currently have a tiny production edge. Aim must be to increase that edge. Process should then be progressive.

That way the last soldier alive on the dying planet will be yours not his. And you will have - what is the word for it - oh, I remember, won!?

Sounds like you guys would have fitted in just dandy with the Brit or German high command at Paeschendale or the Somme.

(By the way, I'm not a MP player, nor a warmonger so I give no warrantee. But I'll be surprised if control of the raw materials for production is not the key.)
Old January 16, 2001, 18:21   #18
niteowl
Chieftain

You might also try using your spies to encite civil unrest. That way he has to divide his attention between building a military and calming down his people.

------------------
"My dear girl don't flatter yourself.
What I did this evening was for king and
country. You don't think it gave me any
pleasure do you?

--- James Bond
Old January 16, 2001, 19:02   #19
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 23:50
I know this is hard to do but if you can somehow manage try to open up two or three new frontlines somewhere where he would not likely by expecting it. This way you may be able to capture only some secondary cities but might be able to hold on to them to deliver another blow to weak points in his defence.
In any case try to create the illusion that you are going to stage attacks where you won't and do attack where you normally wouldn't. Break all rules of common sense and pick targets that seem unimportant now but can be permanently defended and used as staging points for further attacks and/or to disrupt his troop movement. The fewer cities the smaller his ability to respond to losses.

Try to find out if he has cities without SDI with spies and then nuke these until they are size one and subsequently destroy them with a unit taking them.

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page
http://members.nbci.com/thalys
Old January 17, 2001, 18:35   #20
jcarkey
Warlord

Local Time: 16:50
Try and build up. Save it for one attack. You didn't say but I'm guessing your main continent is railroaded, if not do so. Build up your military, howies, armor, spies and the such, then railroad them to one city that has SDI. Keep doing that untill you have a large army. Make sure your "seaport" city has SDI to build up your navy. Then have your transports stacked together full of units. Have a naval formation something like this or a squarish shape since this doesn't like my formatting.

aaaa
a dd a
a dddd a
a ddtdd a
a dddd a
a dd a
aaaa
Where a= AEGIS Cruiser
d=destroyer or any other cheap navy unit
t= your stacked transports
This is a tad expensive but you said you have resources. You should keep all of the units similar to this to prevent from a nuke attack. Of courseif your opponent has two or more nukes he can blast out a side and go straight to the transport. THe reason for the AEGIS is protection from sea and air and it is cheaper than a battleship. Destroyers are there for a line of defense against nukes.

------------------
Save the whales, collect the whole set!!

If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith
[This message has been edited by jcarkey (edited January 17, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by jcarkey (edited January 17, 2001).]