View Poll Results: Who should be Foreign Affairs Minister?
Arnelos 28 56.00%
adaMada 22 44.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 14, 2002, 06:14   #31
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Holy crow! We've got a race.

Very good, very good. Carry on fellows.
Old November 14, 2002, 06:37   #32
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:55
Yeah, I've been watching it pretty closely... it's been excruciating

I gain 2 votes, then adaMada gains 3 votes, then I gain 4 votes, then we start going up in 1-vote increments again - repeat.

Over the past several votes on each side, it's just kept tying over and over. To the best of my knowledge there were ties at all of the following numbers:

4, 7, 9, (somewhere between 11 and 15), 17, 19

It's safe to say that we have no idea where this is going to end up, a real nail-bitter (almost literally...)
Old November 14, 2002, 07:06   #33
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:55
Still something like 4 or 5 votes left if we averaged out the voter turnout this time around.

Keep hanging in there.... c'mon adaMada!
Old November 14, 2002, 07:11   #34
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Hey! I'm still here

Average turnout for Term V races was 65 votes.
Average turnout here so far is 42 (high turnout is 44 - for Prez and DM) and this race is only 39.

There are still a number of 3rd-day voters out there somewhere

Vote here
Old November 14, 2002, 07:47   #35
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Hey! I'm still here

Average turnout for Term V races was 65 votes.
Average turnout here so far is 42 (high turnout is 44 - for Prez and DM) and this race is only 39.

There are still a number of 3rd-day voters out there somewhere

Vote here
Er... doesn't the voting close lateish on the fifteenth?

Anyway, this has been a really great race. I don't think either side has lead by more than two votes (unless Arnelos went up 3-0 at the start of the race for a short period of time, which is possible), and we've been tied more often than not.

Anyway, I'll post the campeign documents I promised this afternoon, after I get home .

-- adaMada
Old November 14, 2002, 09:26   #36
Arnelos
Emperor

We're tied again

God bless who-ever just voted for me
Old November 14, 2002, 10:05   #37
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 06:55
THis was a really tough choise, two very good men, both with very good ideas. But I've finally desided and my vote is now cast.

Whom ever wins, look to having the other as your Vice.

E_T
Old November 14, 2002, 10:08   #38
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

According to the current poll counts, there are still 4 people who still have to vote in this election.

E_T
Old November 14, 2002, 12:36   #39
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Make that 3. (I voted on everything else two days ago and just voted on this position now.)

Quote:
Originally posted by E_T
According to the current poll counts, there are still 4 people who still have to vote in this election.

E_T
Old November 14, 2002, 13:07   #40
E_T
Emperor

[EDIT] Wrong day, they have been running together lately.........

E_T

Last edited by E_T; November 14, 2002 at 16:56.
Old November 14, 2002, 13:30   #41
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 12:55
hi ,

hmm , well Arnelos , lets hope that your new blood does some good in the government (!)

however , if you fail , you shall feel the wrath of the mighty banana

have a nice day
Old November 14, 2002, 17:03   #42
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Wow. Talk about a flip-flop while I was away.

Having said that, we've still got twenty four hours (seventy four hours from time of posting), and it's possible some new voters will come in in that time. I'm also not sure that the poll counts are totally accurate -- I haven't voted in at least one election, and I'd be inclined to believe I'm not alone. As such, I'll still sit down and write the promised campeign statements -- I'm not all that sure it'll help much , but I did promise them.

-- adaMada
Old November 15, 2002, 00:03   #43
adaMada
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Issues Where It is Unclear if a Difference Exists

Institutional Transparency:
Arnelos: A campaign theme. Considers it his duty to post any plans made ahead of time for public scrutiny. Is a "stickler" for institutional transparency, meaning that the people know what the people running things are up to and why. Sites how he handled last turnchat's report as example.
adaMada: Did not comment on issue

Collaboration with Cabinet:
Arnelos: Considers it critical to consult with any elected official potentially impacted by a policy and, at the very least, obtain their opinion on the issue. Executive leadership style is "focused on consensus-building", in contrast to legislative leadership style
adaMada: Doesn't mention it specifically

Tech Sales:
Arnelos: Would like to establish unsellable technologies in the future (suggests Atomic Theory and Electronics as the top candidates), but unsure if this is possible. Would consider putting any military target on a list of civs not to sell ANY tech to (such as potentially the Zulus) until just before war (to empty their treasury).
adaMada: Doesn't address issue directly.
Institutional Transparency:
I am a strong believer in providing the public with all the information it requires to make informed decisions without opening the game. A major goal of any term I should serve would be to create a strong, effective Intelligence Department charged with producing reports and analysis for public consumption. As for true 'Institutional Transparency', I have mixed feelings. I plan to hide nothing from the citizens, but I want to come forth with any underdeveloped plans. Rather, I plan to ensure that all plans presented by the Foreign Ministry are well thought out and considered. This isn't jargon for "I'm not going to tell you what we're doing" -- but I have no desire to waste the Senate's time by releasing plans that frankly aren't ready for it. Any plan we do go through with will obviously be available to the senate for inspection, and I'd always be very open in sharing information with any citizen who asks, as well as publishing information on what we've done and why. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is much different from what Arnelos'll do -- I think we both place a lot of emphasis on communication with other players.

Collaboration with Cabinet:
Collaborating with the Cabinet will be crucial for a successful Foreign Ministry office. Our nation requires government officials who are in sync. Furthermore, under NewCon, members of the Cabinet must agree with the FAM's proposals or else bills do not pass. As such, I'd make every effort possible to work with and for the other cabinet officials. I've always believed we are weak individually and strong as a team, which is the philosophy I'd take when dealing with the rest of the Cabinet. Lastly, I'd (as always ) be willing to consider the benefits of appointing a deputy to collaborate with the Cabinet, but would again want to ensure that such a position didn't hurt FAM-Cabinet collaboration rather than further it.

Tech Sales:
I see techs as another resource. If we can keep a monopoly on any tech, then I'd be all for keeping it to ourselves. On the flip side, if the AI were about to get it or if everyone had it except a given civ that is not a threat, I'd be for selling it. We must ensure that we don't give techs away, perhaps by bundling them with other deals, but we also want to make use of them before the AI does. As normal, I'd probably wind up considering this on a case-by-case basis, combining the strategies of conservative bargaining and liberal trading to create an effective tech-trade policy.

-- adaMada
Old November 15, 2002, 01:32   #44
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:55
I'm in awe at how close this election goes. I'd almost like to see it turn up like our equally contested DM election.

Whomever wins, I'll be anxious to see how you improve upon my past policies and what things you change about how our nation handles foriegn affairs.

I know there are things that I could have done better, and I see a lot of promise in both of these two candidates.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old November 15, 2002, 14:17   #45
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

Local Time: 12:55
Arnelos
Old November 15, 2002, 20:38   #46
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:55
Congrats, Arnelos. I voted for adaMada, as you know, but I'm sure you will do a terrific job.
A great race.
Old November 15, 2002, 20:51   #47
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 04:55
I thought you were in Brazil reorganizing something, Aro
Old November 15, 2002, 20:56   #48
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:55
Yes, I am... But is Saturday night, and this old commie needs some fun... at my age, what else can I do?

Edit: It's not Saturday, it's Friday...

Last edited by Aro; November 15, 2002 at 21:15.
Old November 17, 2002, 07:44   #49
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:55
Excellent. A poll I actually remembered to vote in has an outcome. ada - I am sure if you are willing, your skills as Deputy FAM for two terms now will help Arn and all Apolytonia very well. Arn - congrats. I am glad to see that the nation has recognised what you have done as a VP, and this is a tribute to you.

On a personal note - thanks to both of you for making life much easier. Without you guys I would be quite quite mad right now.

Adios,
WIA

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 17, 2002, 16:42   #50
Arnelos
Emperor

Thanks, WIA