Old November 12, 2002, 22:07   #1
Sollos
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
MOO3 fans too wired?
Okay, like you guys, I'm excited about the final weeks til release. But there's just too much fan expectation going on. I mean, there's just too many OVERexcited people spamming the hell out of the QS/IG board (not here, this place is somewhat relaxed). Like if MOO3 isn't the Second Coming (coming right now, like yesterday), they're apt to sue or commit hari-kari or something?

Oh no, MOO3 doesn't have IMFs and the graphics cap is at 800x600!! Omg, whatever rating I give it will automatically go down by 3 stars! Not gold yet? Omg, I'll have to make 5 separate posts about nothing and then troll the boards every hour until it's not gold the next day too.

Ommm. Ommmm. Relax. Find your inner power animal and imagine the Meklars gently inserting a data shunt up your nose to introduce happy feelings directly into your limbic system. Ommmm. You can wait in MOO3 limbo for 16-18 days.
Sollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2002, 23:06   #2
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Local Time: 05:57
The main source of anxiety right now is the realisation that if QS is going to meet the announced November 26 ship date, they have to get the game into the can very soon. Like now. I think that the MOO3 watchers (like myself) expected a "gone gold" announcement after the weekend... we're still waiting.

The longer the wait, the greater the probability that the ship date will slip--although at this point, any slippage will likely be small, probably to early December. That said, I'm sure that Infogrames really wants the game on the shelves by November 29, so as to cash in on the major shopping day following the American Thanksgiving holiday.

Once the game is released to manufacturing, the tension will probably subside a bit, with less to worry about and nothing to do but wait for shipping.
Lee Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2002, 23:59   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Moo III IS the second coming... and we all hope that it meets its release date or we will be forced to commit hari kari.

Old November 13, 2002, 02:12   #4
Master-Mike
Warlord

Local Time: 20:57
If moo3 dosnt go GOLD by the the 15th, this friday i would have to say it would slip to a early december release. Like Rantz said there still aiming for a 26th release but it is comming down to the wire.
Master-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2002, 03:51   #5
Sollos
Chieftain

So just do what I did. Buy Aliens vs Predator II in the discount bin, and forgetaboutit for now. Just shoot aliens. Then go back to the discount bin and find yet another great game for cheap (although it would be hard to beat the cost-effectiveness of a $18 great game like AvP2!)

Contrary to popular opinion, MOO3 will NOT come out faster if you spend time MOO-watching.
Old November 13, 2002, 08:57   #6
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 11:57
:Stares at the QS logo:

You never know

Unfortunately there aren't any games I can lose myself in at the moment. Sure, there are some I can pass the time with, but all the anticipation is for HoI, MoO3 and AC2 which inconveniently decided to arrive within a week or two of each other.
Old November 13, 2002, 10:12   #7
BraerFox
Settler

Local Time: 04:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Sollos

Contrary to popular opinion, MOO3 will NOT come out faster if you spend time MOO-watching.
True, so true But, It might come later than you think if you Don't.
BraerFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2002, 15:41   #8
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 06:57
Wired, or weird?
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2002, 19:06   #9
Mr. Orange
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

WIRED? OF COURSE I'M FREAKIN' WIRED! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS GAME FOR TWO FREAKING YEARS!

*ahem*

Mr. Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2002, 19:34   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I have been waiting since Moo2 came out and I remember they pain of waiting for it once it was announced. Hopefully it will soon be over.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2002, 19:38   #11
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

At least they don't have a friggen' counter on the site this time, as they had when back when we waited for Moo2.

I still remember the resets...
Old November 13, 2002, 21:42   #12
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

i learned my lesson waiting for civ3. if it comes out, it comes out. It'll be the week before my semester exams, so realistically I won't be able to play until just before christmass. So i'll probablly take it easy and just request it as a christmas present. In the mean time, I'll just watch everyone else stress and have an ulcer or two over waiting for the game
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2002, 22:02   #13
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Honestly, I think it'll go gold the last minute it can and still be in stores for Thanksgiving weekend, even if that means they know there'll be a before its even shipped.

Id be very surprised if IG let it slip again, Im at least pretty sure they would not be happy at all if it did.
wervdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2002, 23:02   #14
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yeah them and about 10, 000 of the faithful.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2002, 23:04   #15
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
So just do what I did. Buy Aliens vs Predator II in the discount bin, and forgetaboutit for now. Just shoot aliens. Then go back to the discount bin and find yet another great game for cheap (although it would be hard to beat the cost-effectiveness of a $18 great game like AvP2!)
...Some of us don't like action games
Old November 13, 2002, 23:23   #16
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Quote:
Originally posted by Master-Mike
If moo3 dosnt go GOLD by the the 15th, this friday i would have to say it would slip to a early december release. Like Rantz said there still aiming for a 26th release but it is comming down to the wire.
Don't expect a "gone gold" announcement. Infogrammes has been very tight on allowing develeopers to put out the gold announcements on many of their recent games. Civ3:PTW had a gone gold announcement on a friday and was in the stores the next wednesday. So the game could actually be gold now, but until the games are about to be shipped to retailers you won't hear about it. I expect Infogrammes has a severe financial penalty if anyone at QS lets it slip out before Infogrammes gives the OK.
Old November 14, 2002, 00:58   #17
Sollos
Chieftain

Quote:
...Some of us don't like action games
Grow some hair on your chest, lad. Aliens vs Predator II is freakin amazing. The Colonial Marines need YOU!

I play strategy games for thinking, and action games for fast thinking.
Old November 14, 2002, 01:30   #18
Bort
Settler

Fast thinking. You mean what is also known a sloppy thinking...I'm just kidding...I'm a little jealous of people that can enjoy action games...I have the hand eye coordination of a large elephant...and I grew up playing Risk so there is a certain socialized element there too. For me it’s just grin and bare it “…there ain’t nothing like the real thing ba-be…”
We therefore post, that individual attitudes are the poduct of an interaction between two fundamental sets of determinants: (1) the stimuli and reinforcements present in the current environment, and (2) the residue of previous learning experiences, which selectively influence the particular attitude-cues in the current social environment attended to, and accepted or rejected, is of little consequence.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2002, 09:09   #19
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sollos

Grow some hair on your chest, lad. Aliens vs Predator II is freakin amazing.
I see no connection between these two statements. Action games are far more about hand-eye co-ordination and knowledge of the levels than fast thinking. Ok, you may have to decide whether to use big gun 1,2,3 or 4 but the rest is just jump, strafe, fire, repeat.
Old November 14, 2002, 12:38   #20
Ozymandous
Prince

Just wait...
Within a week of the game coming out 95% of the posts will more than likely be "The game SUCKS because it doesn't have ", or "I want MOO2 in better grpahics, how dare they introduce something I have to adjust my playing style for!"

Anyone who was on the Civ3 boards knows exactly what this place will be like. I just am curious if people will take the "moo" out of their names if they thing this game isn't what they expected as well..
Ozymandous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2002, 12:53   #21
Trifna
King

Local Time: 18:57
Sollos, I don't think liking action games has anything to do with "hair on the chest" but simply with taste. They're just not the same.
Old November 14, 2002, 18:03   #22
Bort
Settler

MoO1 forever!!!
Why beg for a game (MoO2) which had none of what made its predecessor (MoO) so awesome. I don't see how 3 could possibly fall short of the unfortunately low bar set by 2. I have every confidence that MoO3 will have me yelling "...LOOK UPON MY WORKS, YE MIGHTY, AND DISPAIR..." at my computer screen with a frequency that will make the ages of man pale, while my roommate (aka stranger from an antique land) looks on with the smug satisfaction that comes with the knowledge that in a year I will be plaguing my time with another, probably not equal, but detrimental game. Then again…I may be gearing myself up for the disappointment of a life time.

Hmmmmm…
We therefore post, that individual attitudes are the poduct of an interaction between two fundamental sets of determinants: (1) the stimuli and reinforcements present in the current environment, and (2) the residue of previous learning experiences, which selectively influence the particular attitude-cues in the current social environment attended to, and accepted or rejected, is of little consequence.
Old November 14, 2002, 19:00   #23
Grumbold
Emperor

Re: Just wait...
Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous
Within a week of the game coming out 95% of the posts will more than likely be "The game SUCKS because it doesn't have ", or "I want MOO2 in better grpahics, how dare they introduce something I have to adjust my playing style for!"

Anyone who was on the Civ3 boards knows exactly what this place will be like. I just am curious if people will take the "moo" out of their names if they thing this game isn't what they expected as well..
It depends on the quality of the game. I don't recall anyone screaming that Civ 2 sucked, because it was better than its predecessor in almost every respect. Civ III did not achieve the standard of being better than its predecessors in all ways (especially since it refused to consider the good parts of kindred games like SMAC and CtP at all) so it was justifiably criticised by some people who wanted a better product. The PtW expansion has only reinforced that opinion.
Old November 14, 2002, 19:02   #24
Grumbold
Emperor

Re: MoO1 forever!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bort
Why beg for a game (MoO2) which had none of what made its predecessor (MoO) so awesome. I don't see how 3 could possibly fall short of the unfortunately low bar set by 2. I have every confidence that MoO3 will have me yelling "...LOOK UPON MY WORKS, YE MIGHTY, AND DISPAIR..." at my computer screen with a frequency that will make the ages of man pale, while my roommate (aka stranger from an antique land) looks on with the smug satisfaction that comes with the knowledge that in a year I will be plaguing my time with another, probably not equal, but detrimental game. Then again…I may be gearing myself up for the disappointment of a life time.

Hmmmmm…
I take it you didn't like MoO2, then. Personally I still enjoy playing both 1 & 2....
Old November 14, 2002, 19:35   #25
Bort
Settler

I yerned for MoO2 and when it came out my Freshman year of high school. I did the math and decided how low I was willing to let my grades sink...and watched them fall far below that mark (dramatization) But as I pregressed through games and difficulty levels the entertainment value fell in a way that has not yet happened for me and MoO1 (we are still very close). I play MoO2 every now and then but its only the graphical improovment that gets me...once I've chosen my race and/or costomized it...the best part of the game is over...There is just something wonderful about 1 and the simplicity of it all. I'll admit the battles arn't as tactical but they do have those asteroids (on second though they arn't even worth mentioning). Oh well I've been rooting for a graphical upgrade for MoO1 all the way....but I'll take whatever I can get now...I certainly don't have the skills or the money to make one myself, so my kudos goes out to those who do....and then do.
Old November 14, 2002, 19:44   #26
MasterDave
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy

Don't expect a "gone gold" announcement. Infogrammes has been very tight on allowing develeopers to put out the gold announcements on many of their recent games. Civ3:PTW had a gone gold announcement on a friday and was in the stores the next wednesday. So the game could actually be gold now, but until the games are about to be shipped to retailers you won't hear about it. I expect Infogrammes has a severe financial penalty if anyone at QS lets it slip out before Infogrammes gives the OK.
I really hope you are right about the game being in Gold Master already, Swizzy. If the game really is not finished today (Thursday 11/14) then it is starting to look dim to be on time for 11/26, meaning that two precious days off from work will be wasted for me in a haze of moo3-less mediocrity and ennui...

On the Infrogrames forums, Rantz has been dropping hints all week that he is going to announce Gold status any day now, but they are rapidly running out of days until 11/26... Another delay, even a few days is indubitably going to cost Infogrames some sales, as other games that are already on the shelves for the USA's biggest shopping weekend will be snapped up as the Xmas presents instead of Moo3.

MasterDave
MasterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2002, 21:01   #27
Sollos
Chieftain

Quote:
Sollos, I don't think liking action games has anything to do with "hair on the chest" but simply with taste. They're just not the same.
With my incendiary remarks, I have achieved my objectives....

Actually I was being sarcastic. I like strategy games a bit more than action games, to be honest. And I know there's a difference.

But I won't retract my remark that strategy games demand thinking and action games demand fast thinking (unless it's a fast RTS, which requires both). By saying action games are 'simply' a matter of strafe, shoot, etc, one is just saying: "I'm not really into multiplayer action games", or "I've never been involved in serious clan matches before." Outside of manual dexterity, it does take fast intuitive thought and cunning, especially when you're coordinating a subteam of 5 players to instantly adapt to ever-shifting tactical situations, as in the case of TFC.

But hey, who cares? My point is, play another game until MOO3 is out. That's it. That's all. /Soap box mode off.
Old November 14, 2002, 21:24   #28
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Never having played any MOO before, (I know, I'm a deprived child ) I have almost no preconceptions going in, except that everyone is highly anticipating this game. I'm a MOO newbie and proud of it! I stand ready to be awed by a new series
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2002, 03:07   #29
Sikander
King

Local Time: 03:57
Quote:
Originally posted by MasterDave

I really hope you are right about the game being in Gold Master already, Swizzy. If the game really is not finished today (Thursday 11/14) then it is starting to look dim to be on time for 11/26, meaning that two precious days off from work will be wasted for me in a haze of moo3-less mediocrity and ennui...

Look at it this way Dave, how often do you get a chance to see both the Detroit Lions and the Dallas Cowboys play on the same day?

(Prays to the Gone Gold Gods for deliverance)
Sikander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2002, 09:56   #30
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 12:57
im still waitin for DN4ever .. so im used to waiting. Its done when its Done