View Poll Results: When Will Dinosaurs Be Completed?
In 2 Years. 0 0%
In 3 Years. 0 0%
In 4-5 Years. 6 21.43%
Never. 22 78.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 23, 2003, 09:13   #31
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 12:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
That makes us two.
I also voted for 4-5 years.
Old January 23, 2003, 17:17   #32
Rasbelin
Emperor

Aha, so there's still optimists left. I have my own reasoning, but I won't reveal anything essential now or discuss it that much as it has a key role in a The Column writing which is still awaiting to be published, so I don't want to spoil.
Old March 3, 2003, 22:17   #33
MJW
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 05:57
bump
Old March 4, 2003, 08:17   #34
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

A new post

I doubt whether we will ever see this thing finished...
Old March 4, 2003, 08:43   #35
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 10:57
I would be amazed if this game ever saw the light of day again.

It sounded rubbish anyway IMHO.
Old March 4, 2003, 13:33   #36
tniem
King

I maintain that if someone comes up with a good way to make a strategy dinosaur game that Firaxis would make it beginning tomorrow. Dinosaurs are one of those things that fascinate everyone - it would be a guaranteed winner like civ was. People that have no idea about games or this developement would be intrested in purchasing the game. It will just take an idea to get this started. So does anyone have a good idea?
Old March 4, 2003, 14:13   #37
Rasbelin
Emperor

/me grumbles.

The Dinosaurs will still come.

Old March 5, 2003, 05:04   #38
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

If you are looking at it from a "big crunch" point of view (the theory, not the poster ),
then they will, otherwise i still doubt it.
Old March 5, 2003, 05:22   #39
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 22:57
Dinos is dead... a shame really. I think he'll continue with the Firaxis/EA Sim series (i.e. SimGolf et al., not The Sims and Sim City from Maxis/EA)
Old March 6, 2003, 06:13   #40
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 11:57
Yeah, I'm waiting for Simsville to come as well
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 10, 2003, 03:34   #41
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:57
Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
Dinosaurs are one of those things that fascinate everyone - it would be a guaranteed winner like civ was.
Yes, that's why there are dozens of great dinosaur games out there. This game will never come out.
Old March 11, 2003, 00:01   #42
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Static23
Yes, that's why there are dozens of great dinosaur games out there. This game will never come out.
Want to point me in the direction of some.

I know of Sim Life and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Oh and the Jurassic Park based games. What other dinosaurs games have their been?
Old March 11, 2003, 00:24   #43
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

It seems to me he was being sarcastic, hence the ...

About the only game with dinosaurs I played was Evolution. But after about half an hour playing I started yawning so hard, I almost fractured my jaw.
Spore page
Old March 11, 2003, 10:05   #44
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:

Want to point me in the direction of some.

I know of Sim Life and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Oh and the Jurassic Park based games. What other dinosaurs games have their been?
Which proves my point. Simlife is about whatever animals you wish to create. Turok and the Jurassic Park games could just as easily have had demons, robots or aliens substituting for the dinos, and it wouldn't have made any difference.
Old March 22, 2003, 15:29   #45
tniem
King

Ok, I think understand what you meant now but the problem is that you didn't understand what I was saying. I was mentioning that not because I thought that Firaxis would release the dino game just that once anyone came out with an exciting dinosaur game that it would be a winner. It is one of those things that everyone would be interested in. But the whole problem is that it is hard to have a fun idea for a dino game. So whoever comes up with a way to make the game first will be rich with a highly successful game.
Old March 22, 2003, 21:08   #46
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Ok, I think understand what you meant now but the problem is that you didn't understand what I was saying. I was mentioning that not because I thought that Firaxis would release the dino game just that once anyone came out with an exciting dinosaur game that it would be a winner. It is one of those things that everyone would be interested in. But the whole problem is that it is hard to have a fun idea for a dino game. So whoever comes up with a way to make the game first will be rich with a highly successful game.
Oh, I understand you. I just don't think people are as into dinosaurs as you think they are.
Old March 24, 2003, 00:30   #47
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 20:57
I am as into dinosaurs as he thinks they are.

And I don't like to count Turok as a dinosaur game a) because most of the enemy characters are not dinosaurs, and b) because the only time you actually see dinosaurs is when you shoot them with weapons of mass destruction.
Old March 24, 2003, 05:30   #48
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
I am as into dinosaurs as he thinks they are.
My point is that no game developer in his right mind is going to look at a proposal for a dinosaur-centric game and think to himself "This is going to sell like hotcakes." Sid Meier didn't.

Sure, he likes dinosaurs, you like dinosaurs, even I like dinosaurs. Hell, everybody likes dinosaurs. We like to see them eat people, we like to see them fight each other, and we like to see them get shot with lasers.

But the vast majority of people out these have no interest in raising them from hatchlings. People cannot connect with dinosaur culture. Therefore, there will never be a true dinosaur game.

QED
Old March 24, 2003, 18:02   #49
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 21:57
If the gameplay is great, the subject matter is irrelevant. Something people "like" is sufficient for the game to sell well.
Old March 24, 2003, 19:24   #50
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 20:57
People can't connect with dinosaur culture but they're willing to swallow Civilization's technological advance system?
Old March 25, 2003, 12:14   #51
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Static Universe
I just don't think people are as into dinosaurs as you think they are.
Go to any natural history museum in the country and take a look at what people look at. I was in New York City last week and most people go in that museum to see the dinosaurs. I could walk the rest of the museum and there was no one looking at ancient civilizations. But dinosaurs? The place was packed. No where to move. I think people are into dinosaurs - the question is how to make an interesting game. And that is not as easy as for human stories.