Old November 13, 2002, 11:08   #1
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 11:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
help, I can't build a wonder!
AAARGH!! What's going on?!

I'm the french, and for some reason I can't build Sistine chaple in my capitol! No other city is building it and all other cities CAN build it. on the world screen the wonder doesn't appear on the right click menu, and on the city screen it's in grey like some other city is building it.

WTF!?!!?

HELP!!
Old November 13, 2002, 11:34   #2
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:58
Add it to a queue. Set up to build something that will only take one turn, then hold down shift and click on the Sistine, it should begin building on the next turn. I should point out that usually if a wonder is greyed out you are building it in another city.
Old November 13, 2002, 11:43   #3
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 12:58
I would guess that you are in war-time production mode, right? Then you can only produce military units and buildings, not peace-time. If this is the problem, the only thing to do is to go to war!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old November 13, 2002, 13:31   #4
Backpack
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 04:58
Or if you have disbanded something to generate some of the shields already in the city, or (maybe, Can't remember if forestry counts) if you have used a worker to chop trees to add to the shield count.

Hope this helps

KP
Old November 13, 2002, 16:11   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 06:58
Yeah, if you have chopped forrest and/or disbanded units in the city, or partially rushbuilt something, you cannot switch to a wonder. This is to prevent people from rushbuying, say, a colosseum (100 shields) and then switching to a wonder to get a head start.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old November 13, 2002, 21:52   #6
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

no no no no no!! Grrrrr!!

sorry, guys, but I didn't diband anything or chop forest. (I wondered for a while so I built something to take up shields. now there are no shields in my build box and it still doesn't work. nor are there any other cities building it.

I'll try adding it to a quee, but still this should work!

how do I post a save, so you guys can sse it for your selves?
Old November 14, 2002, 01:03   #7
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

When you write a new reply, click the "browse" button at the bottom of the page before posting your reply. You have to zip your save to be able to attach it.
Old November 14, 2002, 01:42   #8
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

These things happened pre 1.29(or earlier patches),
but I don't think I've seen it since.
Old November 14, 2002, 07:56   #9
aahz_capone
Prince

Thanx Spiffor.

But there's no need. Problem is solved, and by a very wierd way. I restarted my computer, loaded up the game and switched the wonder from one city to another three or four times, then suddenly I could build it at my capitol! This is odd, since I have v1.29, but hey! it worked.

Thanx for all your help guys. I feel almost embarrassed for using your time.
Old March 4, 2003, 20:43   #10
Purest Warrior
Chieftain

Just so that people do not think that you have lost it, Capone (or, at least, you are not alone): I am having the same problem and I have had it before.
One of my cities cannot build wonders (large or small), incidently the one with the greatest production.
It is just that city and the wonders are Sun Tsu's Art of War, Leonardo's Workshop and Forbidden Palace.
From what I know neither of those wonders, except Forbidden Palace, require anything in peticular to be built. Requirements for Forb. Pal. are met (16 cities on huge map) and I can build it in every other city.
I tried rebooting, like you suggested, but, alas, to no avail. I am going to try and queue it (and lose the 60 or so shields already produced). Arrgh.
Old March 4, 2003, 22:11   #11
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 07:58
I had this problem recently, but it was related to have shields in my buildbox. I know that if the wonder is queued somewhere, then it cannot be chosen to build in another city. Usually only the human player can queue, but who knows?