View Poll Results: Do you build a city immediately at the start of the game?
YES! don't care where, those precious turns are valuable! 16 20.25%
NO! I allow myself only ONE space to move if I see the square next too me is too good to loose. 46 58.23%
NO! A couple of turns I won't miss. 14 17.72%
NO WAY! I wander and wander until I find the perfect spot and to hell with the turns! 1 1.27%
I only build cities with bananas. 2 2.53%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 13, 2002, 11:25   #1
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 11:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Starting position
I was wondering if it is worth those one or two turns to find a better city spot with a settler or not.
This is assuming that you don't say to hell with it and start another game.
Old November 13, 2002, 11:40   #2
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:58
You forgot the most important choice - "It depends." Generally I will build from the starting spot; however, if the position would leave me at a severe disadvantage, I will move on, but the position really has to suck.
Old November 13, 2002, 11:49   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 06:58
I chose the second option. I will typically build where I start, but will sometimes move 1 tile over. I will not wander, as turns are precious.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old November 13, 2002, 12:28   #4
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

If moving my settler by one tile moves it into a better place, I will move it. I have to start in a really ugly place to move the settler by more than one tile though...
Old November 13, 2002, 12:35   #5
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

I used to be a strict "plop down" person, but I saw to many poor locations (by a tile or two). I think a few moves is more important in Civ 3 that in 1 or 2. cus'
1. there seems to be more starts on "just plain bad places"
2. with the pop cost of settlers increased to two, a bonus food resource spot is a big benefit.
Old November 13, 2002, 15:24   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think it is safe to say that a move of one tile to be next to a river would be justified.
Old November 13, 2002, 15:37   #7
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 12:58
... and one to get off a cow, and in between a patch of 3 cows is justified too...

DeepO
Old November 13, 2002, 15:40   #8
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

ummm... nothing like starting next to cows
Old November 13, 2002, 15:41   #9
One_Brow
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:58
If you can see you are exacly one square from two or threee ocean squares, you could be better off moving to or away from the ocean.
Old November 13, 2002, 16:24   #10
cracker
Warlord

Local Time: 03:58
I dedicated some discussion to this issue in the

Improving Your Opening Play Sequences Article

and you can find the topic from the menu under "when to relocate". Read the article and your perspective will be greatly expanded.

In general, most start positions may be less than 100% perfect, but you set yourself back by more than you gain if you fail to recognize that only the top 5 or 6 terrain squares in the start position will really impact you game.

Wandering around with the first settler is almost always a bad idea.

If you are in doubt about the start position you should consider moving your worker (and/or your scout if you have one) before you move or plant the settler.

If you play on warlord or cheiftain levels, a little wandering will not kill you but on Monarch level and above this can be a self inflicted head wound.

Good luck,
Old November 13, 2002, 18:25   #11
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

I wander for no more than 1-2 turns...and only to get off/get close enough to resource, esp. cow or wheat, or the get on a river or on the coast.
Old November 13, 2002, 19:52   #12
vmxa1
Deity

Understand that there is a big difference between 1 move and 2 moves. Two moves is very dangerous at all but the lowest levels.
Old November 14, 2002, 17:00   #13
Finvola
Chieftain

I always plop down straight away, build a warrior, build a settler, then have that one build a city where I choose.
Old November 14, 2002, 18:04   #14
statusperfect
King

Hmmm... i move the worker one square so to see if i find something nice. If i don't i build straight away with settler and next turn worker mines the square it moved to. This IS the optimal solution.
Old November 15, 2002, 04:19   #15
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Cows are cool. It's a big shame that the smileys don't include cows.

Muuuu
Old November 15, 2002, 04:30   #16
Sea41571
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:58
The last time I wondered around to much i plopped right down a few Squares from a Barbarian camp ( just plain bad luck)
Normaly I travel a few spaces to look around 1st
Old November 15, 2002, 11:41   #17
remeo
Settler

i move one step maximal but i must admit when i don't like the land after exploring a bit i will start a new game
Old November 15, 2002, 12:20   #18
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I often move once at the beginning of the game.
Old November 15, 2002, 15:12   #19
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Cracker,

I was just looking at your Opening Play Sequences article, which is excellent btw, and I noticed what I think is a mistake:

The most powerful square on your chart of terrain squares is listed as "bonus grassland cow" and is listed as providing 3 food, 2 shields base under despotism. I know of no such square. I know of cattle on grassland, which produces 3food, 1 shield and may be improved to generate 3/2, and I know of cattle on plains, which has 2food, 2 shields to start and may be irrigated to produce 3/2. But I've never seen a 3/2 square at the start (w/despotism penalty).

The only square in the game that I'm aware of that produces 3f, 2s without development is Game w/forest, and that is after you get our of despotism.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old November 15, 2002, 16:47   #20
The Puny Celt
Settler

Local Time: 20:58
I've always built immediately whatever the location, thinking the loss of a turn is too costly. But now, having read so many civ grandmasters saying there's an advantage in spending a turn to find a better location, I'm going to reconsider.
Old November 15, 2002, 18:14   #21
cracker
Warlord

Arrian,

PM me with such concerns as I always try to take a look.

In this case, the cow or wheat on bonus grassland, the internal map generator will not do that but many of the mod makers and map makers are not very senesitive to being consistent with this issue.

Firaxis designed the game in such a way that the bonus resources are placed indepedently of the bonus grassland squares so when someone uses the editor that can create this circumstance.

The table emphasizes that you will rarely if ever see the cow on bonus grassland but it is in the table for the sake of thoroughness since it is not impossible.

There are a number of other exploits like this one, but most people will never see them in their legitimate games.
Old November 15, 2002, 18:18   #22
cracker
Warlord

Puny Celt,

Do not misinterpret the comments from users as advice from grand masters.

In most cases, it is not to your advantage to wander the settler around for even one turn. 9 out of 10 times you will end up worse off or just break even plus you will loose a turn.

There are a number of big picture issues to consider and the article I posted above discusses some of them.

Good luck,
Old November 18, 2002, 09:54   #23
Mad Bomber
King

Allow a one square move, no more. If you move more than that you will fall behind the A I in cities and is unacceptable in games at regent or higher. If you can move onto a river or coast sqare or are on a bonus square then a 1 tile move is acceptable, otherwise build the city at the starting location. If a start is REALLY bad then a new game is in order (for you civfanatics, an example of this is CG's challenge)
Old November 18, 2002, 11:02   #24
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Are the first moves really that important? Normally I win over the AI bacause of superior long-term strategy, not because of superior micro-managing during the first turns.

I usually settles the first or second turn anyway but that's mostly bacause I want to get the game starting ASAP.
Old November 18, 2002, 11:42   #25
Mad Bomber
King

Bongo:

The first moves of the game are in fact the single most important period of the game. It plays a huge part in expansion, research, and overall game play. If you have not done so I highly suggest you read Cracker's article on opening play. Although dry, it is an invaluable source of information for improving play, especially when in a despotic government.

It is the first moves that allow you to begin to develop a long term strategy. If your foundation is shaky, how stable will your house be?
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old November 18, 2002, 15:20   #26
metalhead
Warlord

I will wander up to 5 turns if I think it likely to find a hill with gold, on a river. Seems complicated, but if I start on a bonus square, of course I'm going to move. If I happen to have run into such a tile, with either my settler, worker (who often goes the opposite way), or scout, then I will grab it. If not, the 1 or 2 turn move is all. Starting on this type of square, even at a 5 turn deficit, is usually an easy win. I can get 5 beakers and +1 gpt at 90% science by starting on this square, which REALLY aids my style.

However, I will be more likely to just plop down on the first square if I'm not on a bonus, unless a river is in sight. I know conventional wisdom is that such a move puts you in a major hole, but I just don't agree with that as I've never had a problem overcoming such a deficit.
Old November 18, 2002, 16:33   #27
vmxa1
Deity

metalhead what level are you able to move 5 turns?
Old November 18, 2002, 19:33   #28
planetfall
Prince

Bet it is one of these:

1. settler
2. civ starting distance between civs increased
3. playing island worlds

== PF
Old November 18, 2002, 20:04   #29
Mad Bomber
King

Metalhead:

Are you playing Chieftain or Warlord? You might, just possibly could, get away with this 'strategy' on Regent, but you would be working from a hole. On Monarch and above and moving 5 turns you are playing with fire.

Also, how many civ's are you playing against?
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old November 19, 2002, 04:45   #30
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Mad Bomber: I've read Cracker's article, a bit dry but useful. However I find that my early moves are, if not optimal, better than the AI's.

I guess I've had the impression that the early moves are not important simply because I use to get those moves right anyway.