Old November 13, 2002, 14:42   #1
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 04:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
War Academy:Greek objectives
The Greek theatre, unlike the German theatre, is easily described in military terms.

We want: To eliminate the salient on our western flank.

We want: Direct access to Ivory

We want: To weaken Alex

I envision an extremely conventional campaign here.

comments appreciated

Ssgt roadcage (retired)
Old November 13, 2002, 20:12   #2
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:59
I think this campaign should be saved for after the defeat of Germany and England. Sure, Ivory would be nice, but it's not that important; and Greek cities won't be very productive until a palace move NW.
Old November 13, 2002, 20:14   #3
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Oh, and pay no attention to that Hoplite avatar.
Old November 13, 2002, 20:33   #4
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Thank you kloreep. The purpose of "objectives" threads is to build a consensus for what minimum things we want to accomplish in a campaign so that the planning function can proceed.

As in RL, plans are formulated for possible campaigns as they are identified, often long before some magic triggering event occurs that activates them.

However, unlike RL, where the Pentagon contains a HUGE full time seasoned career officer planning department, we are limited as to our planning resources. They are all volunteer, with varying skill levels.

Hence we need to limit our planning to campaigns that can garner broad support in the senate since a declaration poll is required (unless we are responding to a heneous sneak attack)

And that is one of the purposes of these threads. The other purpose is to tweak the fancy of some senator who just might take it upon himself to plan a mission.

Now, as to this particular thread, I am aware that other civs are higher up our hit list. But the 'objectives' were so straight forward and obvious, I just went ahead and started the thread.

And I hope that some senator will decide he wants to develop the plan. Perchance, is that you?

Ssgt roadcage (retired)
Old November 13, 2002, 21:18   #5
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 06:59
Another objective: Gain as many jungle/forest tiles as possible to improve the chances of us getting many rubber deposits.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old November 13, 2002, 21:25   #6
roadcage
Prince

Thank you Panzer32. This is already indirectly listed as most of the Greek jungle is in the salient. But, yes, it can be seperately enumerated.
Old November 13, 2002, 21:32   #7
Kloreep
Emperor

I'm sorry if I seemed to be dismissing this thread; that was the immediate thought I had. But I have Civ open now, so I'll take a look at the map.

My first thought is that Greece has a mountain range to its west we should try to avoid. The three cities beyond it don't look that important anyway. Our objective, IMO, should be to drive up through the core around Athens to the Ivory.

Here's a basic idea: I think we sould initially have one main prong of attack, with two smaller ones that would eventually merge. The main prong should be aimed at Sparta, Pergamon, Athens, and Herakleia, and would continue north till it reached the Ivory Coast. Prongs (I love that word; prong! prong! ) from Timeline and Chiquita would attack Mycenae and Argos, respectively, and would then meet to attack Sparta. These would then be lumped in with the main prong.

This is just a brute force maneuver of chucking Cavalry, though. We might take a lot of losses.
Old November 13, 2002, 22:20   #8
roadcage
Prince

I think you mean Timeline and Rheims for the prong staging points. Chiquita would encounter jungle on their turf in route. But I notice that the Greeks are busily chopping as we speak. And if the chop is done, then Chiquita is possible.

Another question, are you bypassing Athens or not? The text implies yes, the City list implies no. Even with Athens bypassed it looks like the main force has a long road ahead with 6 cities needed for Ivory.

How about the prongs being a ruse. We start the campaign there, taking Mycaene and Delphi, consolidating at Delphi as bait. One turn later, the REAL force moves from the Western most tile of San Cortez to the mountain in Cavalry range of Eretria.... Only 2 cities to Ivory. And finally a force from Macross City hits Sparta. (slamming home the door on whatever took the bait)

comments welcome.

Ssgt roadcage (retired)
Old November 13, 2002, 22:54   #9
Kloreep
Emperor

Athens is a definite target. The only cities I don't think see us conquering pre-Ivory are Halicarnassus and Ephesus in the North, and Pharsolas, Corinth, and Knossos to the west. (And, of course, Thessalonica on its tiny island with "Centralia").

This means we'll need a defensive force in former Western France. But since I assume we need to assemble such a defense and "quick reaction" force there anyway to guard against Rome and Russia, I don't think it'll be too difficult.

Good idea with the Delphi trap. I think we'd stand a good chance of catching their Stack of Doom on open ground.
Old November 13, 2002, 23:07   #10
Kloreep
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
I'm sorry if I seemed to be dismissing this thread; that was the immediate thought I had.
*removes foot from mouth* Whoops. What I meant to say was "Saving Greece for last was the immediate thought I had."
Old November 14, 2002, 01:01   #11
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

They are week. Take them out compleatly. I suggested that we take on the greeks even before we took over the last of france... but nobody lisened (unlike when I first suggested that we can take out all of persia....)

There land will make a fine staging ground for world domination.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 14, 2002, 12:06   #12
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Greece is on the low end of my priorities. Save this until we have Tanks.

Then annex all of Greece on the mainland.
Old November 14, 2002, 20:22   #13
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Greece is on the low end of my priorities. Save this until we have Tanks.
Yes. I agree. But we can't put off Germany that long, or they'll have Panzers (I can already feel the pain, )
Old November 14, 2002, 20:42   #14
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Yes, Germany is much higher priority than Greece.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old November 15, 2002, 22:05   #15
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

germany will be nothing once we have the greek lands to build our war machine from.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 15, 2002, 22:12   #16
nz_upy
Warlord

Local Time: 10:59
Except thatll theyll have Panzers???
Old November 16, 2002, 15:23   #17
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:59
I suggest that when the time is ripe for a war, we start a multi-choice poll where each voter has to approve or disapprove every goal in the list.
E.g. if the list of objectives was: 1. Conquer Greece; 2. Behead Alex; the poll would look like this: Approve 'Conquer Greece'; Disapprove 'Conquer Greece'; Approve 'Behead Alex'; Disapprove 'Behead Alex'.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old November 17, 2002, 11:59   #18
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 12:59
hi ,

the LUX goods might be intresting in the war with germany , ....

have a nice day
Old November 19, 2002, 20:52   #19
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:59
No, Greece will have riflemen, and the ability to embargo us, and we'll have plenty of WW. It will also be the time build factories, hospitals and other improvements. Let's wait til we get tanks.