Old March 23, 2000, 03:30   #31
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 21:40
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Can you post the theorem on that??

8^b
Old March 23, 2000, 17:06   #32
Adam_Smith
Prince

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Vi Vicdi on 03-23-2000 01:18 AM
Actually this is a relativistic effect caused by increased micromanagement. Time dialates as the number of build queues and units you must manage increases exponentially.

BS? or what?

Old March 23, 2000, 17:12   #33
YT

Vi: I agree completely. The actual slowdown of the game due to computer processing is negligible (233 MHz AMD K6-2), whereas the amount of time I spend managing bases and units is where the time factor comes in. Usually I give up after a certain point (and after certain SPs ), and start ignoring citizens and eco-damage, and mae quick choices in the production department. Then I can focus on what my units are doing. The one thing that takes me the longest is managing formers.

When the **** are they going to include auto plant forest and auto plant fungus?

------------------
Yours Truly
[This message has been edited by YT (edited March 23, 2000).]

Old March 24, 2000, 01:44   #34
Vi Vicdi
Prince

Local Time: 19:40
"Auto-plant-forest" is there, pardner. Just disable "Former can ..." options, leaving only forest (and whatever else you want 'em to do), and there you go.

I'd rather have an energy park, but I hate micromanaging enough to understand the desire to automate.
Old March 24, 2000, 14:09   #35
YT

Vi: That doesn't work in my experience. There is no option for 'former can place farms, solar collectors, or mines.' Therefore, when you leave only plant forest on, you get forests in ADDITION to those basic enhancements. There is an option to allow advanced enhancements though (Condensors, etc) but automated formers rarely do so.

However, this was my experience in SMAC, not SMACX. So maybe I should give it a try again.

Will the SP associated with Secrets of the Manifolds (The Manifold Harmonics?), I really suffer from the lack of an auto plant fungus.

------------------
Yours Truly

Old March 25, 2000, 05:27   #36
Vi Vicdi
Prince

Local Time: 19:40
Oops. Oh well, I guess you can always disband your formers to speed completion of late-game SP's ... and crank up eco-damage for free fungus
Old March 25, 2000, 15:14   #37
lemur866
Settler

When I said the game slows down, I'm not talking in terms of turns...I'm talking in terms of time spent sitting in front of the keyboard. Your first hundred turns go by quickly....but if you get in a war, suddenly every turn takes 3-4 times as long to manage, you have all these crappy conquered bases to manage, military units to move to rally points, etc, etc, etc.

Sure, you can get one tech/turn. But if every size 3 city riots every other turn, then you have to sit there and manage every one of them.
Old March 27, 2000, 12:40   #38
YT

Lemur: Not a complete answer to your problem, but here is on solution that I use occasionally. Turn on the governer in your bases, and use the advanced setting so that he can ONLY control your citizens (including drone riots). Also, if you really don't care about those crappy conquered cities, give full control of them to the governer. Both of these take control out of your hands and puts it with the Artificial Idiot, but that's the trade of for less of your time.

Personally, my rule of thumb is once I feel my empire is comfortable, all new conquered bases get the Idiot. Especially if they are far, far away from my inner empire (and to me, my "real" empire).

------------------
Yours Truly

Old March 27, 2000, 15:47   #39
Adam_Smith
Prince

DaveVegas,

I guess you don't play multiplayer if you took Domai out. That was a big mistake. You don't have to take a faction out anyway to put a new one in.
Old March 28, 2000, 01:03   #40
DaveVegas
Chieftain

Hey Adam how often do you play other factions? CBA gives extra movement and repair centers at all bases. Domai is so lame that I removed them from my games. I made my own faction to replace him with. Guess you have to be an addict like myself to realize the fine points!

quote:

Originally posted by Adam_Smith on 03-13-2000 07:07 PM
In one of my recent games playing as Domai I built the Cloudbase Academy. Big deal right. Only an aerospace center at every base, and you can just build them individually. Wrong, I got +2 movement for my bombers and my choppers. I think it has something to do with being Domai, because I've never experienced that with Miriam or anyone else.

Here is an example of +2 movement.

Elite Fusion Chopper without nanocells. 15 movement.

DOMAI RULES!!!

------------------
Old March 28, 2000, 01:04   #41
DaveVegas
Chieftain

Hey Adam how often do you play other factions? CBA gives extra movement and repair centers at all bases. Domai is so lame that I removed them from my games. I made my own faction to replace him with. Guess you have to be an addict like myself to realize the fine points!

quote:

Originally posted by Adam_Smith on 03-13-2000 07:07 PM
In one of my recent games playing as Domai I built the Cloudbase Academy. Big deal right. Only an aerospace center at every base, and you can just build them individually. Wrong, I got +2 movement for my bombers and my choppers. I think it has something to do with being Domai, because I've never experienced that with Miriam or anyone else.

Here is an example of +2 movement.

Elite Fusion Chopper without nanocells. 15 movement.

DOMAI RULES!!!

------------------
Old March 29, 2000, 19:59   #42
gnome
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 20:40
The pace of gaining tech became so fast in end game that I always use the "Tech stagnation" option. Sometimes nobody gets enough technology to transcend before 2500!

On the other hand, if you're good at the diplomacy and everyone shares tech a lot, you can hit transcend a lot sooner than 2500... it makes for an interesting challenge if you're planning on heeding the mandatory retirement year.