Old November 14, 2002, 04:23   #1
fatjoe79
Settler

Local Time: 11:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
assaulted by numbers!
I look at screenshots of MOO3 and I'm assaulted by nothing but numbers, stats, sliders, etc....and I love it! The more the better...of course the problem is that all these stats are going to turn a whole lotta people off.
fatjoe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2002, 06:36   #2
Nightingale
Settler

Local Time: 12:01
Yes, clearly the game is not for everyone, but it's going to be great for detail junkies! Like me

Just hope there are enough of us to make an expansion pack possible!
Old November 14, 2002, 07:26   #3
Smiffus
Settler

Local Time: 13:01
Nah, no expansion pack, give us MoM2
Smiffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2002, 08:24   #4
Nightingale
Settler

Uhhh!
That would be great toooo!

Or... maybe... BOTH!!!!!
Old November 14, 2002, 08:24   #5
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

You want MoM2 to end up like a spreadsheet too?

Gosh
Old November 14, 2002, 08:35   #6
Smiffus
Settler

If it's a spreadsheet which is presented in the same way as MoO3.....

yup!
Old November 14, 2002, 14:17   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:01
Any further word from Sid on the new project that was to be announce in Oct? He had mention Xcom and MoM.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2002, 16:07   #8
ashbery
Chieftain

Yeah great firaxis do MOM cant wait for that "NOT"
ashbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2002, 17:30   #9
Xentax
Warlord

Local Time: 06:01
No offense, but I do NOT want Sid being the one to do a Master of Magic 2. Sorry, no thanks, uh-uh.

Even moreso for X-Com.

If I had to pick a developer out of the blue, for either, I'd select Paradox (the makers of EU, EU2, etc.) for both. I think they'd do a really good job adapting the EU2 engine to X-Com, in particular.
Old November 14, 2002, 18:55   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

I'd be delighted if MoM and X-Com stay Firaxis free zones. On the other hand, I wouldn't want X-Com or MoM to go more RTS either, so Paradox wouldn't be my first choice either. Now if it turns out that QS do a spot on job with MoO3, I'll have a good candidate to put forward.
Old November 14, 2002, 20:47   #11
timorange
Settler

Re: assaulted by numbers!
Quote:
Originally posted by fatjoe79
I look at screenshots of MOO3 and I'm assaulted by nothing but numbers, stats, sliders, etc....and I love it! The more the better...of course the problem is that all these stats are going to turn a whole lotta people off.
Blame it on all the geeks who pissed and moaned about having the ability to micromanage everything.

You'll be glad to know though, that MOO3 supposedly lets even the "tourist" player play this game fairly easily. At least that's what they've said in every interview since the get-go.
timorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2002, 05:16   #12
MariOne
King

Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
You want MoM2 to end up like a spreadsheet too?

Gosh
What do you mean "end up" like it too....?
MoM IS already a spreadsheet, all the racial and units features and characteristics, lotsa tables in the manual appendixes....
...and it's the proof that a spreadsheet is not a bad thing, when it's nicely "dressed" by a meaningful and immersive reality interface.

C'mon, reality IS numbers, it's just that our nature gifted us a direct and intuitive way to perceive it as wholes and phenomenons rather the the underlying guts'n'bits, and we're able to reason about it and handle it in terms of principles rather than of algorythms...
(well... yes, I've just watched The Matrix for the 3rd time, right the other day... )
MariOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2002, 09:40   #13
Trifna
King

Local Time: 19:01
Re: Re: assaulted by numbers!
Quote:
Originally posted by timorange

Blame it on all the geeks who pissed and moaned about having the ability to micromanage everything.

You'll be glad to know though, that MOO3 supposedly lets even the "tourist" player play this game fairly easily. At least that's what they've said in every interview since the get-go.
NICE!! I always enjoy tourists on the gril.....
Old November 15, 2002, 10:00   #14
Xentax
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
I'd be delighted if MoM and X-Com stay Firaxis free zones. On the other hand, I wouldn't want X-Com or MoM to go more RTS either, so Paradox wouldn't be my first choice either. Now if it turns out that QS do a spot on job with MoO3, I'll have a good candidate to put forward.
It wouldn't be that hard to make the EU2 engine become "pure" turn-based. The biggest changes would be when it comes to combat -- EU2 combat is very simple as far as player interaction goes, while one of the most fun aspects of MoM was commanding your own battles, having magic from the wizards being a factor in the battle, etc.
Old November 15, 2002, 13:17   #15
Smiffus
Settler

The EU engine would be ideal for a strategic type of game, however I don't see it handling tactical combat as yet.
Old November 15, 2002, 13:23   #16
Xentax
Warlord

Yeah...that's what they'd have to invent or plug in. They don't have it right now (I imagine) because it wouldn't fit in well with the pseudo-realtime nature of the game, particularly in multiplayer games.
Old November 16, 2002, 22:26   #17
Antonin
Chieftain

Re: assaulted by numbers!
Quote:
Originally posted by fatjoe79
I look at screenshots of MOO3 and I'm assaulted by nothing but numbers, stats, sliders, etc....and I love it! The more the better....
Ooooohhhhhh yeeeaaahhhhh.....numbers...stats....sliders.....so unds like I'm going to like this game A LOT...
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2002, 18:33   #18
Bane99
Settler

The more the better in my opinion.
Bane99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2002, 22:50   #19
gramians
Settler

I don't know about the numbers...

Don't get me wrong, I love the numbers. I want to know how many parsecs / turn I can jet, how much of a beating my ships can take, what the output of my planets are etc...

But if there are too many parameters for one thing, than the individual parameters on the whole are kinda overkill. Like if your overall production (P) is based on P=A+B+C+D and you have been busting ass trying to improve on D, then the results of your effort are small.

Anyway - what I'm thinking here is that it's GREAT to have all the numbers, but ONLY if they work in unison with eachother. You need to have a balanced system in place where all then numbers work out, such that each can have an influence that isn't too small (useless) or too big (unbalanced).

I think this is why they killed the IFP idea - it is hard enough trying to get the numbers to work out never mind trying to develop a "currency" on how you spend your time.
gramians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2002, 23:13   #20
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:01
What I hate is not having any idea of the effect of doing this or that. I was playing Ascendancy and it has Agriplot and says it increases prosperity and Adv Hydroponifer a super efficent nourishment and its prosperity output is greater than Arriplot. This does not help me much, how do I know what exactly my needs are and how many of which will met those needs?
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2002, 23:21   #21
Barshy
Warlord

I agree, I also hate not knowing the effects of stuff. A good example is Tropico. Such a freaking good concept, very innovative, but I never had any clue how to freakin' improve stuff even though there were so many factors! It was so dang frustrating...

I guess I'm one of those people that don't like playing spreadsheet games. I know it's really all numbers underneath, but at least fool me by feeding me eye candy... Make me believe that I'm like a galactic governor and not "increasing happiness by +1 by building the Happiness Dome"
Barshy is offline   Reply With Quote