Old November 14, 2002, 23:15   #31
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hey, I didn't think that there would be such an uproar over this.

If this is so sensitive of an issue, then would MrWIA please close this thread.

E_T
Old November 14, 2002, 23:26   #32
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:02
I threw my vote away in the trash!

just kidding , I voted here too.
Old November 15, 2002, 00:09   #33
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 11:02
Since it should be clear from the threads anyway...I too voted.

Sean.
Old November 15, 2002, 00:16   #34
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:02
Quote:
Originally posted by E_T

E_T
I think this is the heart of what people (including me, BTW) are objecting to:

Quote:
Current Senate Members:
Senators are defined as anyone who has joined the Demogame but doesn't hold a governmental office. Period. You don't need to post in a thread or post at all, and you don't even have to vote regularly if you don't want to.

If you simply turned this into a list of "active members", I doubt anyone would object. I wouldn't.

Oh, and I voted.
Old November 15, 2002, 00:57   #35
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 05:02
Indeed, if you turn this into another one of the census polls like we used to have, I will dutifully ignore it as I have all others in the past.

I object to it having anything resembling an official purpose, however.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 15, 2002, 01:06   #36
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:02
I voted, but I agree with UnOrthO.
Old November 15, 2002, 01:40   #37
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:02
I also voted.

I don't mind the census idea or posting that I'm active, and so forth. I think we all know this isn't official and I'm a bit surprised that some people seem to take threads like this way too seriously.

But perhaps this thread will get people started again on the Senate. Senate begins on the 18th. Will you be ready to propose your bill?

First bill out gets to be the historic "Bill #1" Who wouldn't pass up such a great honor.

I'm writing my bill as we speak...

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old November 15, 2002, 02:52   #38
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 13:02
hmm.

I'm here but I will not tell you if I voted or not.
You do not need to know it.
Old November 15, 2002, 03:18   #39
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

I also voted.
Old November 15, 2002, 05:10   #40
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I'm here, sorry for mostly lurking.
Old November 15, 2002, 07:19   #41
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Ahem. The poll for quorum has no bearing on who is, or is not a senator.

The poll for quorum was intended by the writers of the NewCon (if I am not mistaken) to be a way for the Senate to overcome the obstacle posed by the Trip-Ninot election. Many, many people voted. Many more than ever participate in other ways.

Hense being able to meet quorum to pass laws during that term would have been very, very difficult.

So, the writers of the New Con (in their infinite wisdom ) formulated a way for the Senate to redefine quorum seperately from the number of voters in an unusually high turn out Presidential election. That same principle might apply to an acclamation, such as we have. Maybe only 10 people bother to vote for the human over the banana. Then a quorum call would be a good thing. Except i think a lot of people have plonked a choice down in that poll. So is a call for quorum this term necessary?

There it is. Read into it what you will.
Old November 15, 2002, 07:29   #42
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Yet another attemp of ET to bend the will of Apolytonina towards him and show disreguard for the new (or old) CoL/NewCon. Will the questionable tactics and well written ploys ever stop?
Old November 15, 2002, 09:37   #43
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
Yet another attemp of ET to bend the will of Apolytonina towards him and show disreguard for the new (or old) CoL/NewCon. Will the questionable tactics and well written ploys ever stop?
I can probably guess which of the two Empires Don will migrate towards........
Old November 15, 2002, 09:44   #44
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Not really hard, you haven't done anything in the $Mini-Game and NYE is wanting the government to confiscate your lands. UnOrthO has been eyeing your holdings with a greedy eye too...........
No prob. I'd say give them to the government and sell them back at a insulting price I assume they are now prime real estate.

I thought they'd automatically switch to government control a while ago.
Old November 15, 2002, 10:19   #45
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Ahem. The poll for quorum has no bearing on who is, or is not a senator.

The poll for quorum was intended by the writers of the NewCon (if I am not mistaken) to be a way for the Senate to overcome the obstacle posed by the Trip-Ninot election. Many, many people voted. Many more than ever participate in other ways.

Hense being able to meet quorum to pass laws during that term would have been very, very difficult.

So, the writers of the New Con (in their infinite wisdom ) formulated a way for the Senate to redefine quorum seperately from the number of voters in an unusually high turn out Presidential election. That same principle might apply to an acclamation, such as we have. Maybe only 10 people bother to vote for the human over the banana. Then a quorum call would be a good thing. Except i think a lot of people have plonked a choice down in that poll. So is a call for quorum this term necessary?

There it is. Read into it what you will.
Would not the establishment of this 'call for quorum' need to be done through the passing of a bill, to establish exactly what that call should be, however, and not simply one senator posting whatever he thinks it should be? Even then, it would not be a 'current senators' list. It whould be a number, not a list of names, for quorum

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 15, 2002, 10:23   #46
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 12:02
You are right UnO, the con con said :
-------
(iii) The Senate has the power to modify the quorum requirements or to perform a census without amending the Constitution.
-------
And such a bill cannot result in a poll before the Senate exists.

But in fact, there is no basis to question the quorum resulting from the current election.

Last edited by DAVOUT; November 15, 2002 at 18:43.
Old November 15, 2002, 15:35   #47
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

Would not the establishment of this 'call for quorum' need to be done through the passing of a bill, to establish exactly what that call should be, however, and not simply one senator posting whatever he thinks it should be? Even then, it would not be a 'current senators' list. It whould be a number, not a list of names, for quorum
I would believe, yes it would require such a bill. Since no such bill has been passed, Unortho is right and this thread is quite pointless.

I happen to greatly agree with Unorthodox's larger criticism of having such a means for establish quorum as well. As I argued when the NewCon came out, one of my favorite aspects was that the document explicitly enshrined the concept of One Citizen (anyone who signs up) = One Senator.

Now, I recognize that establishing a lower quorum number does not deny some citizens their rights to be Senators. However, I believe that the current baseline number of ~50-60 that we're seeing as turnout in these elections should work as a number for establishing the approximate active population. Therefore, we have no need to establish an alternate means at this time.

That's all.
Old November 15, 2002, 17:03   #48
astrologix
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Gathering StormPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG ImperioC4WDG Spamyard Team
Deity

I voted
Old November 15, 2002, 21:08   #49
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

I voted, but i dont like quoroms

Still however I give the customary
Old November 15, 2002, 22:21   #50
CTR
Settler

::delurking::

I voted.

::relurking::
Old November 15, 2002, 23:57   #51
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Indeed, UnOrthO, Arnelos, and Davout are quite right IMO. An adjustment to quorum (over-riding pres poll) would require an act of the Senate as a whole, not just the initiative of any one Senator.

I would be a bit lenient in my opinions with thread starters though. Some exuberance may be in play.
Old November 16, 2002, 11:16   #52
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:02
Quote:
Originally posted by E_T

E_T
[clears throat]COULD WE PLEASE, HAVE THIS THREAD CLOSED! THank you.

E_T
Old November 16, 2002, 21:22   #53
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Hmmm...I can write.

I voted. Why can we say we voted? I never said who I voted for. Was it Aggie was it the Banana, I'll never tell.

Please read Togas's post, very poignant I would say. I would add just don't respond if you don't like it.

In any event, the whole quorum thing will need to be practiced for us to get it down. Be patient.

Now, let me get back to thinking about some useless bill to pass so I can have bill #1 to my credit.
Old November 17, 2002, 07:51   #54
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:02
Quote:
Originally posted by E_T

[clears throat]COULD WE PLEASE, HAVE THIS THREAD CLOSED! THank you.

E_T
/me hears E_T from halfway around the world.

It's curtains for this thread.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!