View Poll Results: Uphold Democracy! Do your duty! Vote!
The United States is VERY FAR from becoming a totalitarian state. Its as far as you can get. 12 12.37%
The United States is far from becoming a totalitarian state. 8 8.25%
The United States is as far as can be expected of any modern democracy from becoming a totalitarian state. 20 20.62%
The United States is moderately close to becoming a totalitarian state. 31 31.96%
The United States is VERY CLOSE to becoming a totalitarian state. 10 10.31%
The United States is a totalitarian state, plain and simple. 14 14.43%
Ugh, how many times must I repeat this?! There is no nation-state....we are all under the protection of the Great Banana and therefore this poll is invalid. 2 2.06%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 15, 2002, 04:10   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 11:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How close is the US to becoming a totalitarian state?
I posted a similar poll a few (months) ago and in light of recent threads, thought I'd post another one....
Old November 15, 2002, 04:24   #2
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 13:04
as far as Iraque is from being a democratic state.
Old November 15, 2002, 05:09   #3
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 21:04
All states are only a certain number of suicide bombings away from dictatorship.
Old November 15, 2002, 05:37   #4
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
When elections are decided not by the total amount of votes but by circonsription and the winner takes it all even if he has less votes, thats quite confusing.
When the persons who commited small crimes are forbid to vote while people who commited more important crimes are able (Mr. Jeb Bush's wife was able to vote, sentenced to pay a fine for illegal import of jewelry for $29,000 though),
When the people of Florida who commited crimes in another state and therfore cannot be under the Florida law that prevent them from voting (list of such persons transmitted by kind permission of Mr. George W. Bush ),
When advantage of votes starts at #4000 and decrease at each recount, and is stopped by the Supreme Court (thanx to M. George Sr. Bush stepbrother),
When the victory is not sure but claimed by Fox News (President of Fox News : Mr. George W. Bush's cousin) and every channel followed for the hunt of breaking news,
When people up to five days after the end of the elections,
When people can vote twice,
When people can vote three times,
this is not totalitarism. This is Napoleonism.

and when people re-vote confidence two years after that, thats simply stupidity
Old November 15, 2002, 06:34   #5
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

every fool can produce such a list in no-time.
It's mostly true though that only fools who disagree with the outcome of the elections do it.

it's a pitty that you do not post the counter-arguments, while you must know them.

If you don't know the counter-arguments you are such a fool, and not an exception to the rule I wrote above.
If you do know the rules, you're not a fool, but you are very evil.

Tell me what you are, evil or a fool?
And yes, I am evil
Old November 15, 2002, 10:16   #6
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 06:04
History has shown that whenever the **** hits the fan, America becomes more totalitarian only to return to normal when the danger passes. For example, both Lincoln and FDR where near despots during the Civil War and WW2 and yet they are both regarded as our some of our greatest presidents.
Old November 15, 2002, 10:17   #7
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

You really need to let your rage over the previous election go. It's becoming quite sad.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old November 15, 2002, 10:32   #8
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

One party controls the entire country... that is totalitarian. zig hei!
Old November 15, 2002, 10:54   #9
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
One party controls the entire country... that is totalitarian. zig hei!
Is Sweden totalitarian?
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old November 15, 2002, 10:55   #10
DinoDoc
Deity

Yes! Finland must invade to bring democracy back to the country!
Old November 15, 2002, 11:24   #11
Pandemoniak
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Quote:
every fool can produce such a list in no-time.
It's mostly true though that only fools who disagree with the outcome of the elections do it.
it's a pitty that you do not post the counter-arguments, while you must know them.
If you don't know the counter-arguments you are such a fool, and not an exception to the rule I wrote above.
If you do know the rules, you're not a fool, but you are very evil.

Tell me what you are, evil or a fool?
And yes, I am evil
According to you, I guess I'm an evil fool.

I dont know any proper counter argument, though I'd be intersted to hear them. And I havent just made list : I put a list that shows one thing : people did vote, and the votes of these people hasnt be heard and applied.
When people vote and government elected is not representative of what the people wanted, I call that undemocratic. When all the powers of a single corporated family takes all the power, I call that totalitarism. I dont think I'm really wrong about that, though it could have been ein Fuhrer, a party, an emperor or whatever. The fact remains : Mr. George W. Budh has not been elected president, he's an usurper who took control of the USA with the whole support of his family !
England sent Napoleon to Ste Hélène, you should send Bush to Guantanamo !
So you american democracy-lovers, go and do your first revolution !
Old November 15, 2002, 11:28   #12
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pandemoniak
Mr. George W. Budh has not been elected president, he's an usurper who took control of the USA with the whole support of his family !
He was elected. Get over it.
Old November 15, 2002, 11:32   #13
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:04
If democrats controlled both houses, and one were president, would you post such a poll?
Old November 15, 2002, 11:40   #14
Kontiki
King

Is the US really any more of a totalitarian state now than it was before? Not to get into any US bashing, but the mythical degrees of freedom and democracy have always been just that - mythical. And the US is hardly the only country like that. Hell, most western states are far more totalitarian than we'd like to believe.
Old November 15, 2002, 12:11   #15
Pandemoniak
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
He was elected. Get over it.
Or so you've been told.
Old November 15, 2002, 12:17   #16
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pandemoniak
Or so you've been told.
Le Pen's party was the rightful winner of your last election. It's only been a horrible conspiracy by Chirac that has kept him from claiming his rightful post. It's time for another revolution to restore democracy in your country!
Old November 15, 2002, 12:31   #17
The Andy-Man
Prince

The whole democratic ideal is a joke. In reality it is a more subtle form of totalatarianism.
Old November 15, 2002, 12:46   #18
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 04:04
The U.S. is moving closer all the time.

I reported during the 2000 Democratic National Convension in L.A. how there were police helicopters constantly hovering over downtown L.A. during daylight hours, how police sirens were going off every 15 minutes (and you knew there was not an emergency every 15 minutes) and how there were police on virtually every street corner.

No dissent of any kind was tolerated. At demonstrations, people with cameras who were not even participating were targetted to be shot with rubber bullets. And more than one peaceful demonstration was broken up.

The FBI has been using "carnivore" to routinely search e-mails without a warrant.

Since 9-11, the governments been given broad new powers to conduct phone taps with no probable cause.

With the Washington snipers, the miliary began running spy planes over Maryland, which was keeping everyday citizens under survaillence.

In regards to Iraq, Congress unconstitutionally passed its power to declare war to the President.

The trend is clear. If Americans feel their security is threatened, they will jettison their freedoms faster than a sinking ship will jettison ballast.
Old November 15, 2002, 12:50   #19
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
With the Washington snipers, the miliary began running spy planes over Maryland, which was keeping everyday citizens under survaillence.
I don't really see how this can be seen as a violation of Posse Comitatus or a violation of Constitutional provisions.
Quote:
In regards to Iraq, Congress unconstitutionally passed its power to declare war to the President.
How so?
Old November 15, 2002, 12:56   #20
The Andy-Man
Prince

[quote]I don't really see how this can be seen as a violation of Posse Comitatus or a violation of Constitutional provisions.[/quote

It isn't, but it sets a trend, I mean, why not put every citizen in the UA under constant survalence a la 1984? That way its a garantee you will catch criminals.
Old November 15, 2002, 13:20   #21
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

What a frickin' joke. Totalitarian states cost too damn much money. We will never have one.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old November 15, 2002, 13:30   #22
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Exactly Dan, a big joke.

I wonder who are these loser who say the US is totalitarian. Just goes to prove anti-Americanism will say or do anything.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 15, 2002, 15:37   #23
TheBirdMan
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power Democracy Game
Emperor

Location: A real Master of CTP-PBEM - together with all the others.....
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Yes! Finland must invade to bring democracy back to the country!
As long as you stay north of Stockholm, then it is ok.

But we still wants our old provinses back: Skåne, Halland and Blekinge (well, let Blekinge go if it can't be different ).

If it is going to be part of a greater deal, most danish are ready to give the Faroe islands away for free. Anybody interessted?

Gandhi
Old November 15, 2002, 15:46   #24
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
What a frickin' joke. Totalitarian states cost too damn much money. We will never have one.
So they'll privatize it.

They've been increasing police budgets forever while decreasing social services. Furthermore, the drug war is self-financing. Police departments can auction off anything they seize, and since property has no rights, they can simply charge your property and leave you with nothing and no recourse to the courts. They can also sell the services of prisoners.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 15, 2002, 16:21   #25
The Andy-Man
Prince

Quote:
So they'll privatize it.
Old November 15, 2002, 17:40   #26
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
You really need to let your rage over the previous election go. It's becoming quite sad.

DinoDoc, I do believe your intelligent enough to know the difference about when I'm complaining about the election and when I'm not. However, if your not....simply inform me and I will lower my expectations.

Quote:
If democrats controlled both houses, and one were president, would you post such a poll?
If they were threatening to take civil liberties away, yep. Definately.
Old November 15, 2002, 17:53   #27
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 04:04
America is far less totalitarian than Russia. Russia will get there long before us.
Old November 15, 2002, 18:12   #28
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
America is far less totalitarian than Russia. Russia will get there long before us.
For the most part, I agree with you (Unfortunately). But Russia (and any other country for that matter) is irrelevant to the subject at hand.

Happy?

Last edited by Nubclear; November 15, 2002 at 20:39.
Old November 15, 2002, 18:16   #29
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

But Russia (and any other country for that matter) is irrelevant.
So you agree with Bush's comments to the UN do you?

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old November 15, 2002, 18:19   #30
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

So you agree with Bush's comments to the UN do you?

Happy?