View Poll Results: When would you buy PtW?
As soon as possibile 13 15.29%
Already bought, and I'm satisfied for price given 32 37.65%
Already bought, and I'm very angry 5 5.88%
Already bought, and I'm very angry, but MP fix would probably make me satisfied 13 15.29%
When price drops a little (to 15-20$). 4 4.71%
When MP problems are fixed. 5 5.88%
Never, since I don't like Civ3 in first place. 4 4.71%
Never, although I like Civ3, I don't think that I need PtW. 6 7.06%
Never, but maybe as part of some sort of "gold edition". 2 2.35%
Undecided. 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 15, 2002, 06:58   #1
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 13:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A little bit better PtW & Civ3 poll
I tried to make poll which would be more realistic and reflect real opinions about PtW and Civ3. There are many answers to choose from, and I don't think I missed any.

Note: Satisfied doesn't mean that you have no probelms with PtW (since almost everybody has probelms with Internet MP), it just means that you think it good enough to keep and play for now.

Hmm...

There are no bannanas, but in that case you should check "Undecided".
Old November 15, 2002, 07:42   #2
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Finally a good poll about PtW. Well done, player1.

I'll buy it ASAP, because:
1. I 'm sure Firaxis will patch it until it will be flawless.
2. Until then I'm going to enjoy the new single player features and PBEM/hotseat.
3. I want to support Firaxis. If PtW won't sell well, we won't see any other expansions (nor civ4 too soon).
--Woody Allen
Old November 15, 2002, 07:51   #3
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
3. I want to support Firaxis. If PtW won't sell well, we won't see any other expansions (nor civ4 too soon).
That's pretty good point.

Remeber Ctp2?

Nobody bought it, nobody patched it.

But that game had good potential.
If just Activions tried to invest in it a little bit more.
Old November 15, 2002, 08:11   #4
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 12:04
Good job, player1!
Finally, a poll I can honestly vote in.

Since I got my copy of PtW mostly because of the SP and UI improvements, I guess it's no surprise that I am quite happy about it. The MP will be OK much sooner than I find some spare time to give it a try.

And Tibi made a very good point. I honestly wish that the guys at Firaxis continue improving and developing Civ, since - to me - they have proven quite adept in bringing new ideas into the Civ world. And... I bow to their post-release support of the game... Given time and money enough, I do believe they will polish Civ3 into a perfect gem (referring to Vel calling the current Civ "a flawed gem", which I do agree with...).
Old November 15, 2002, 08:29   #5
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Voted the 4th option "Already bought, and I'm very angry, but MP fix would probably make me satisfied", although it doesn't match my feelings entirely. I'm not very, but moderately angry (the SP improvements are very good), and a MP fix would not only make me satisfied, but happy.

Good poll, player1.

And Tiberius: To grant further game support and to get maybe a Civ4 some day, we need not to support Firaxis, but Infogrames (awwww, that hurts to say... ). They hold the rights, and Firaxis is just a hired company, that does the development. Infogrames might as well hire another company next time (if ever, that is). But the means remain the same, as long as the game sells well, the chance of further support and may be another sequel grow.
Old November 15, 2002, 08:36   #6
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 11:04
I would buy it for SP only. But I gather, from looking through some of the posts, that SP is not working all that well.

What's your experience?
Old November 15, 2002, 08:57   #7
Stuie
King

Local Time: 07:04
Quote:
Originally posted by MyOlde
I would buy it for SP only. But I gather, from looking through some of the posts, that SP is not working all that well.

What's your experience?
Huh? I must have missed some posts. SP is the part of the game that is working. There may be some smaller bugs lurking below the surface, but there definitely are not any game ruining bugs... nothing like when Civ3 came out and air power was broken.

As for the poll, I already bought it and I'm happy especially considering the price I paid (which was only US$20).
Old November 15, 2002, 08:59   #8
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Well, Sir Ralph, then read: I want to support the civ series. Like you said: "as long as the game sells well, the chance of further support and may be another sequel grow". I'd add: ... regardless of who the developer or the publisher is. (as long as Sid Meier is involved )
--Woody Allen
Old November 15, 2002, 11:07   #9
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

What, no banana?

Somebody set up us the bomb!!!
Old November 15, 2002, 12:44   #10
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Already bought the XP, largely satisfied (I'm mainly interested in SP), but still hoping for a MP patch ASAP so that the game sells well.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old November 15, 2002, 14:39   #11
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Fanboy signs in.
Old November 15, 2002, 14:45   #12
JimMac
Prince

Er-Good poll but,
Quote:
There are many answers to choose from, and I don't think I missed any.
What about 'I have ordered it but dont know what it is like, as it hasn't arrived yet?'
Old November 16, 2002, 12:20   #13
Tiberius
Emperor

Already on page 2? That's a shame, because this is really a good poll.

*bump*
--Woody Allen
Old November 16, 2002, 13:09   #14
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:04
This is a far superior poll

Old November 16, 2002, 13:51   #15
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

First option

And I agree to much that has been said here

oh, if Civ4 ever does get made, I hope they will give it to Firaxis, and certainly hope it will be the same team who makes it.
Old November 16, 2002, 14:43   #16
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:04
I'll buy PTW as soon as possible. This could possibly be "never". I don't quite understand why this game has not been released in Brazil yet. Poor sales? Are they translating it (the original game was not localized)? Do they think we're filthy bastards? Is it because of Gisele Bündchen and her fur coats?

I want it now!
Old November 16, 2002, 15:37   #17
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

a bit angry , they could have fixed it .

a bit angry also for whats in it , there should have been more stuff in it .

lets hope that we get all the fixes and a good patch before X-mas , ......

have a nice day
Old November 16, 2002, 17:01   #18
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

I don't understand how anyone could be satisfied at the given price. The inprovements to the AI and interface are things most other game companies put into a patch, FREE patch. Just about all aspects of the MP are buggy in one respect or another. I'd say the new civs and the unit packs are worth $10-15. I'm just glad I got mine at CompUSA for $20. I'd say the $20 will be well spent when they fix MP.

As for new expansions and Civ4. If Infogrammes is going to publish it, I'd prefer not seeing the series continue. I know Firaxis (read Sid Meier) is pretty chummy with EA Games. Perhaps if he can get EA to buy the rights to the Civ games from Infogrammes
Old November 16, 2002, 17:25   #19
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy
I don't understand how anyone could be satisfied at the given price. The inprovements to the AI and interface are things most other game companies put into a patch, FREE patch. Just about all aspects of the MP are buggy in one respect or another. I'd say the new civs and the unit packs are worth $10-15. I'm just glad I got mine at CompUSA for $20. I'd say the $20 will be well spent when they fix MP.

As for new expansions and Civ4. If Infogrammes is going to publish it, I'd prefer not seeing the series continue. I know Firaxis (read Sid Meier) is pretty chummy with EA Games. Perhaps if he can get EA to buy the rights to the Civ games from Infogrammes
Most other game companys improve AI and interface in a patch? Give me 15-20 examples of this in games released in the last year. And I mean the noticeable improvements seen PtW, not slight changes. If most other companys improve AI and interface and a patch this shouldn't be too hard, right? Internet MP is broken right now, of course. But LAN works fine and PBEM/Hotseat does too I thought(besides for some diplomacy problems on PBEM/Hotseat I think).

And then about new expansions Inforgrames can publish if they don't rush it, which seems to be what happened. SP works great in PtW, just combined with being forced to use Gamespy and rushing it seems like internet MP got screwed. As for EA being a better one to publish it, i'm not so sure about that. How many games does EA publish that are just old ones rehashed? I'd rather see a new buggy Civ then an old one redone.
Old November 16, 2002, 19:53   #20
Thrumble
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:04
I didn't buy it, it was given to me. And I'm happy with the price I paid.
Old November 16, 2002, 19:53   #21
vmxa1
Deity

Some people do not think of money when it comes to their toys. It is not even a function of how much they have, just do they want it or not. I have been out of work for over a year and I am happy with it. I got what I wanted and no I do not play MP. If I did I may not be happy with it. If you ask me to give it back for my 30 dollars, no way.
Old November 16, 2002, 20:19   #22
Nevs23
Chieftain

Already bought, and I'm not very angry but dissatisfied about the price.

No Vote.
Old November 18, 2002, 01:21   #23
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy
I don't understand how anyone could be satisfied at the given price. The inprovements to the AI and interface are things most other game companies put into a patch, FREE patch. . . As for new expansions and Civ4. If Infogrammes is going to publish it, I'd prefer not seeing the series continue. I know Firaxis (read Sid Meier) is pretty chummy with EA Games. Perhaps if he can get EA to buy the rights to the Civ games from Infogrammes

I agree completely. I am entirely dissatisfied with Firaxis, and based on what I've read on the forums PTW is another incomplete overpriced letdown.

Civ 4?? Not if Firaxis does it. I won't buy it.
Old November 18, 2002, 01:32   #24
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Finally a good poll about PtW. Well done, player1.

I'll buy it ASAP, because:
1. I 'm sure Firaxis will patch it until it will be flawless.
2. Until then I'm going to enjoy the new single player features and PBEM/hotseat.
All these polls are entirely flawed because most Civ I and II fanatics who don't like Civ 3 or Firaxis are no longer here, and the Faithful Firaxis Devotees are the ones who are here the most.

It's amazing. Firaxis can keep coming out with rushed incomplete beta products that need constant patching, but that's OK to some of you. The game will never have all the features it should have.

I do NOT want to support Firaxis as I do not want them to have anything to do with a Civ 4.

Civ 3 is the biggest gaming letdown for me ever.
Old November 18, 2002, 02:45   #25
Tiberius
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
All these polls are entirely flawed because most Civ I and II fanatics who don't like Civ 3 or Firaxis are no longer here, and the Faithful Firaxis Devotees are the ones who are here the most.
It is not the polls' fault that not everyone from this planet come to vote. I saw polls where there were more dissatisfied people than happy ones, and it was a far inferior poll. This poll is truly outstanding.

You know, it wasn't such a bad thing to think before you post. I'm not hoping that you will finally understand, but nevertheless: I am not a Firaxis devotee. I really doubt anyone here is. I don't give a sh*t who is the developer or who is the publisher. I like civ3. Should I repeat it ? Don't you get it? I like civ3 and thus I respect and support the people who did it.

Quote:
Civ 3 is the biggest gaming letdown for me ever.
I'm sorry to hear this, but I think you decided long time ago that you don't like civ3 and you will never like it, no matter what. Because you childishly decided so. Just MHO.
--Woody Allen
Old November 18, 2002, 03:15   #26
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
You know, it wasn't such a bad thing to think before you post. I'm not hoping that you will finally understand, but nevertheless: I am not a Firaxis devotee. I really doubt anyone here is. I don't give a sh*t who is the developer or who is the publisher. I like civ3. Should I repeat it ? Don't you get it? I like civ3 and thus I respect and support the people who did it.
Well said, Tibi. A Civ3 devotee is not necessarily a Firaxis devotee. Majority of people here like (and play, I guess) Civ3. And that's it. Belittling what they like and what they think about it is a pretty poor way to gain recognition... alas, some people will stick to it...
Old November 18, 2002, 03:57   #27
vmxa1
Deity

Tiberius you need to understand that some people like to irrate others and make them mad. I am not saying Coracle is one of those people as I do not know him, but you will have met people that are obnoxious on purpose. It is a very useful technic at the poker tables as getting people to steam is a way to make them play less than optimally.
Old November 18, 2002, 04:07   #28
Tiberius
Emperor

You have a point here, vmxa1. But why would anyone do this in a game forum? For Christ's sake, it is supposed to be fun!
We are here because we enjoy the game, don't we? You won't find me in Quake forums trashing whoever programmed it. People are strange
--Woody Allen
Old November 18, 2002, 05:18   #29
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Wrong!

XPs are amied at those who LIKE original, not on those who don't.

So opinion from someone about PtW, who doesn't like Civ3 is realy not worth to someone who is thinking about buying Civ3:PtW (since he will still tell you Civ3 sucks, PtW sucks).

On the other hand everybody option is worth if question is about original Civ3.
Old November 18, 2002, 06:58   #30
WarpStorm
King

That's a good point player1. It is pretty much a given if you didn't like the original game (and it doesn't really matter what the game is) you aren't going to like the game+xp.