Old November 15, 2002, 07:47   #1
Master-Mike
Warlord

Local Time: 21:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Moo3 Dreams
What is the one thing that you are most lookinf forward to in this game. Only state one item, the most important to you. For me it is being able to micro manage everything and anything if i so wish on a galactic scale.
Master-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2002, 08:04   #2
DobberDinsdale
Settler

Local Time: 11:04
I really loved moo2, the only thing that bothered me was that the game wasnt bigger. I wanted everything to be bigger, more stars, more to research, more everything. So I could keep playing the same game for a longer period of time. And as far as I know, it seems to be just what moo3 is, BIGGER in every aspect. Thats what im looking forward to, everything is grander, bigger and hopefully better.
DobberDinsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2002, 08:20   #3
Master-Mike
Warlord

Sounds like we have a similar wish, i only wish they would do that to BOTF, (Birth of the Federation), that was based on Moo2.
Old November 15, 2002, 09:30   #4
Llama
Chieftain

Re: Moo3 Dreams
Quote:
Originally posted by Master-Mike
What is the one thing that you are most lookinf forward to in this game. Only state one item, the most important to you. For me it is being able to micro manage everything and anything if i so wish on a galactic scale.

You might have problems with multi-player then if the host decides to set a time limit for the turns. Other than that, with IFPs gone, you might be able to do that in single player.
Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2002, 09:58   #5
Xentax
Warlord

Local Time: 06:04
I'm most looking forward to the new space combat model.
Old November 15, 2002, 10:02   #6
Craig P.
Warlord

Local Time: 05:04
I'm looking forward to being able to NOT micromanage everything.
Craig P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2002, 10:04   #7
Xentax
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig P.
I'm looking forward to being able to NOT micromanage everything.
Yeah, I hear that. I mean, there will be times where having the micro-managing level *available* will be nice; I may want to override my viceroys from time to time, but by and large, I want to let them do their thing while I concentrate on the higher-level stuff.
Old November 15, 2002, 12:58   #8
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Same here, I do not like the micromanagement at the planet level. That is what made MoO1 better than MoO2.
I'm sorry, I started drooling again.

Yes and bigger than MoO2 is another plus (Why do these games have limits so small...is memory really an issue?).
Old November 15, 2002, 13:21   #9
Xentax
Warlord

Well, there's an upper limit on how big a game "map" (no matter what the game is) can be, and still have the game be compelling, win-able, etc.

As cool as a 10,000 star galaxy in MOO3 might sound, it would take forever to win, or you'd not become anything like a "Sole Superpower" to win, or the value of an individual system would diminish to practically nothing. None of those is exactly ideal, IMHO.
Old November 15, 2002, 17:05   #10
gramians
Settler

I'm looking forward to the combat tactics, where you assign ships to certains strategies, like cover, attack etc. I hope there's "hit and run"...

That, and making you kiddies cry when I enslave your worthless home planets
mu wu ha ha

gramians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2002, 18:14   #11
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 12:04
I would be looking forward to MOO3 being more of a true EmpireSim than other strategy games like, say, CivIII.

I don´t hold my breath, though, since I am still suspecting the reason why management fired Emrich was managament wanted LESS of a simulation.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Comrade Tribune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2002, 05:05   #12
Master-Mike
Warlord

I love micro mangaging games on single player but multiplayer is different. I like to know every little facet of the game. Such as if i do this what is its effect in 20 turns from now. I got a good mate who i can play moo3 with all day on our days off so long games spanning days if not weeks are no problem for me, the longer the better.
Old November 16, 2002, 09:46   #13
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 13:04
*envys Master-Mike*
Old November 16, 2002, 10:59   #14
DATarbell

...just one more turn...
Old November 16, 2002, 12:36   #15
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Master-Mike
I love micro mangaging games on single player but multiplayer is different. I like to know every little facet of the game. Such as if i do this what is its effect in 20 turns from now. I got a good mate who i can play moo3 with all day on our days off so long games spanning days if not weeks are no problem for me, the longer the better.
This is great.

Btw, there will certainly be micro-management in Moo3, and probably more interesting decisions than in CivIII, for that matter.

However, this is still not quite what I call 'Realism(tm)'. OK, so what do I mean by 'Realism(tm)'?

My definition of 'Realism(tm)' in a strategy game is to purposefully include those aspects of reality most people tend to not understand or dislike. Example: Vicious circles where, once you turn the wrong way, the situation gets worse all by itself. ('And it went downhill from there.') Such things abound in reality (think epidemics), but they never occur in strategy games, because such games are created for a mass market, and the market department forbids designers to frustrate anybody. Out of the window goes Realism!

The only exception to this rule is Chess. This game does not soften up the blows -because it was not created for a mass market-, but it is still vastly successfull. This may mean that the marketing people are wrong, and (at least some) people WANT a game to be (somewhat) frustrating. But marketing people are too stupid to understand that, and ultimately it is NOT the market that calls the shots but the marketing people.

Old November 16, 2002, 13:41   #16
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

Local Time: 07:04
I want the game to have excellent pacing. I want the end game to be as exiciting as the opening. Since this is a long game (10-20 hrs), I don't want to experience long periods of "next turn" while I wait for some key tech.
playshogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2002, 16:49   #17
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
Vicious circles where, once you turn the wrong way, the situation gets worse all by itself. ('And it went downhill from there.'
I suggest you look into the Ceasar city building games. Did they ever have vicious circles...
Old November 16, 2002, 17:16   #18
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
I suggest you look into the Ceasar city building games. Did they ever have vicious circles...
I guess you could say so, with everybody all the time having to run around in circles...

Old November 16, 2002, 21:08   #19
Master-Mike
Warlord

Me and my mate first started playing BOTF together, our games would go over weeks, once we spent 18 hours straight playing, since then we've played heaps of games. We cant wait for Moo3, plenty of late nights, and verbal abuse across roger wilco at each other. Come on hurry up and go GOLD, now im exicited.
Old November 17, 2002, 08:40   #20
Gooberman32
Warlord

Local Time: 19:04
Amen brother
Old November 17, 2002, 14:55   #21
Crostoneman
Chieftain

I want to see if I could use the insulting mood of my answers to see if I can &(#*$#& off the galaxy.

Siliciod: Would you like a trade treaty? (Polite)
Me: Sure, if I can place your butt as my trophy on my wall. (insulting)
Crostoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2002, 00:30   #22
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

The only way a 10,000 star game of Moo would be fun is if there was 200-500 players And even with that, it'd get old long, long before the game ended. Not to mention you'd never interact directly with 50-70% of the players :P

Personally, I think the 32 player number they've listed for moo3 sounds ideal, especially for the 256 star system (with multiple colonies per system). Although, I imagine, at least 2/3rds of my games will be on much smaller maps in order to keep them reasonably short.

I know on MOO1 I ussually play on medium or large maps with all 5 ais.

On Moo2, its ussually small w/ 5, or medium w/ whatever the max was (its been a few months since ive touched moo2). Occasionally though, I will play on a huge map just for fun, but I rarely finish those all the way through.
wervdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2002, 00:46   #23
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Moo I like small maps with max playere. Huge maps in either are hard to complete, tedious.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2002, 01:25   #24
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

The thing about moo1, is on a less than large map, the higher level propulsion techs (star gates and really fast drives) seem to have alot less significance.
wervdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2002, 10:24   #25
Nightingale
Settler

The shining path
Diplomacy! I look forward to the diplomacy aspects, the Orion Senate, the voting, the many options!

And spying too, I'm not a warmonger at all, prefer to build a large powerful empire, and use diplomacy, and spying to get what I want, it just feels so much cooler than invading, and all that messy stuff

But I guess I'll have to fight some wars too, and I must say, I look forward to seeing how ground combat will be handled, actually I look forward to that even more than space combat
Old November 18, 2002, 20:15   #26
duodecimal
lifer
Civilization IV Creators
Warlord

There are only a few PC games that have completely enveloped me before - MOO, Privateer, Thief, Ultima VII... My dream is that MOO3 will have an atmosphere that will consume me as much as these games (for which I shed a nostalgic tear) did.

Civ III missed this mark by a long shot. It was addictive, but it was a chore. I was able to tell after only a few hours - I can't start a game anymore. X-Tension, Thief II, SMAC - all those come very close. Atmosphere was the only saving grace of Ultima VIII. Everything I see gives me great hope that MOO3 will have what made those other games great.
duodecimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2002, 22:32   #27
SeanV
Chieftain

The spies, most definitely. To be able to place hundreds of covert agents in hundreds of enemy territories and convert all of them to flaming hulks of confusion, revolution, and chaos while making a little for myself on the side just really appeals to my darker side.

Yes, I confess, I loved the Darlocks in MOO.
Old November 19, 2002, 11:33   #28
Xentax
Warlord

... hundreds? Um, I don't think that's quite the way it's going to work out...
Old November 19, 2002, 22:14   #29
SeanV
Chieftain

Well, maybe not hundreds but I do so love to exaggerate.
Old November 19, 2002, 22:16   #30
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

A little hyperbole is allowed.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote