Old November 15, 2002, 16:16   #1
Unconquered
Warlord

Local Time: 05:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Airfield Bug
I was playing a single player game as the Americans and I had an airfield on a one square mountain island w/ 5 Bombers on it. A bomber bombed my airfield, destroying it, but my bombers were left unaffected. I relocatated them (without the airfield) on the next turn to the nearest city. Does this seem right? I'm thinking that the bombers should have been destroyed as well.
Old November 15, 2002, 16:20   #2
Unconquered
Warlord

Screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	29426  
Old November 15, 2002, 16:29   #3
Argos65987
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 06:05
I'm not sure, since I'm not at home to test this, but if an aircraft carrier is sunk, don't the bombers have a chance to relocate on that players turn? If so, I would imagine airfields have the same characteristic. If you test this out with a carrier, let me know the results (otherwise I'll check in a few hours for my own curiosity).
Old November 15, 2002, 17:29   #4
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

I don't know if they should necessarily be destroyed but I think they should have damage inflicted and not be able to take off until a new airfield is built.

Note: did you create that map yourself? I don't know if I've ever seen single-tile mountain islands. The defensive bonus that would allow would make it yours forever once you had it defended.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 15, 2002, 18:04   #5
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 12:05
Im sure you lose any planes on board if your carrier gets sunk.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 15, 2002, 19:07   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:05
It is reasonable either way. In WW2 planes survived attacks on the air fields and they put them back in use. Planes could get air borne and miss damamge, they could be in an undamaged area or in a hanger and just plain freak events occur.
Old November 15, 2002, 20:10   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 04:05
I would be quite happy with bombardment making the airfield unservicable for air missions but allowing the aircraft to go elsewhere.

OTOH, for aircraft to be destroyed for your failing to protect the airfield from air/land/sea bombardment would also be appropriate. A 50/50 chance of destruction of each unit would be splendid (nudge, nudge Firaxis).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old March 25, 2003, 13:44   #8
Edgar Newt
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMBtS Tri-League
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:05
What happens when the airfield is destroyed
Did we ever get an answer to this question?

I have been avoiding building airfields since I don't want to lose large amounts of planes should the border move or a bombardment succeed (even with defending troops on the sqaure).

I tried to test again AI, but the computer wouldn't cooperate.

Thanks.
Old March 29, 2003, 08:24   #9
Reinhard-Baer
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:05
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
It is reasonable either way. In WW2 planes survived attacks on the air fields and they put them back in use. Planes could get air borne and miss damamge, they could be in an undamaged area or in a hanger and just plain freak events occur.
Well it depends imagine an airfield or carrier somewhere in the pacific gets destroyed. The planes would have no chance in hell to fly back the whole way to let's say America. It's a long distance for these WW2 fighters. Perhaps this can be implemented regarding the distance to the nearest airfield or city if a fighter gets destroyed are be able to reach safety.
Old March 29, 2003, 09:36   #10
Unconquered
Warlord

Re: Airfield Bug
Quote:
Originally posted by Unconquered
I was playing a single player game as the Americans and I had an airfield on a one square mountain island w/ 5 Bombers on it. A bomber bombed my airfield, destroying it, but my bombers were left unaffected. I relocatated them (without the airfield) on the next turn to the nearest city. Does this seem right? I'm thinking that the bombers should have been destroyed as well.
Note: Testing above was done with Civ III v1.29f

I have done some further testing using PTW. I have come to some interesting conclusions.

1. Lone Airfields, Outposts and Radar towers can be destroyed with bombardment. They are also the last to be destroyed, after all improvements.

2. The Bug that presented itself in Civ III v1.29f is now gone. It has been replaced with a new bug. The new bug is:

Airfields w/Aircraft based their CANNOT be bombarded. Neither can the terrain improvents (RR, Irrigation, and Roads) nor the aircraft themselves.

You heard that right. I had six battleships and one carrier with three stealth bombers and one stealth fighter. As you will see by the screenshots I'll post the Bomber base was undamaged. Not even one hit in thirty-six battleship bombardments and six carrier sorties. While the others were destroyed (a lone airbase, outpost and radar tower)

This is a screenshot of how it originally appeared...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	begin.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	41020  

Last edited by Unconquered; March 29, 2003 at 09:42.
Old March 29, 2003, 09:38   #11
Unconquered
Warlord

This is the screenshot after the above mentioned attacks... Notice all is destroyed, except the airbase with aircraft. None of those four enemy bombers took damage.

This testing was done with PTW 1.21f
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	end.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	41021  
Old March 29, 2003, 09:55   #12
Unconquered
Warlord

For sake of completeness:

Amphibious assaults will take the airbase and destroy all craft.

Cruise Missiles have NO EFFECT on the Airbase

One bombardment did work though ...

If all else fails... Use the Nukes!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	nuke.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	41022