Old November 19, 2002, 21:28   #31
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 06:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
While I don't allow any civilization to stand in the way of my global dominion, I must admit some bias to America. If America is a fairly weak country, I usually play the big brother role and help it out. If it is my size, I try to partner up with Abe.

I would probably have a slight bias to the Germans, but since I usually play them, it doesn't matter.
Old November 19, 2002, 21:55   #32
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Local Time: 11:05
England.. hmm stick it up your jumper
I have no misgivings about burning Birmingham to the ground
(notice how it has mings name in there again, shows you its another mingapulco in the making)
just joking..

I'm sure some people are happy to beat their own country with a big stick, I quite like Elizabeth Ist though and her ships, but monarchies are stupid things and England does have many very stupid people, like our rightwing Prime ministers.

Humans generally think things are better anywhere but home, but they have a strange sense of attachment to what they know and have seen, so psychologically find it difficult going against their own.

Its a bit different when your parents are NEw zealander and scottish, then you get 3 'civs' to conquer (including ENGLAND)

In my recent big roman game (played till Flight and Tanks, so far) I kept england in a corner on my continent, protecting it from France which is kind of thrilling, but they will have to give up their tea drinking shortly and eat spaghetti! Muhaha
They seem to prefer the germans to me! so elizabeth will have to sit in my dungeon , can have some fun with her later.
Old November 19, 2002, 22:24   #33
Unconquered
Warlord

Local Time: 05:05
I don't know, I don't play anyone other than the Americans... But I do enjoy crushing the world under the heel of American Industrial and Technical might!
Old November 19, 2002, 22:51   #34
coryl
Settler

Local Time: 03:05
I have no problem crushing America (I think they're lame). All civs blend into one giant civ called The Enemy. I respect the ancient civs a lot more because often their UUs cost me the game.
Old November 20, 2002, 06:20   #35
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 14:05
A target?
Aside from protecting or keeping a civ alive, do you people have any preferred targets for agression? Mine's Russia, for pure historical reasons... I'd prefer Josif Vissiarovich Dhugasvili (wonderif I spell that correctly...) as the opposer, but...

(That's me smacking Cathy into a pulp.)
Old November 20, 2002, 14:48   #36
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:05
Not preferred, but if Rome is close or Persia, I want to get them before they get the UU up and running. If they are far away then I do not sweat them.
Old November 20, 2002, 18:12   #37
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 12:05
I am quite partial to kicking the s##t out of the Persians, but whoever is unlucky enough to start next to me always dies. Quite sadistic I know but its only a game.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 20, 2002, 19:52   #38
Naiveplayer
Chieftain

I have no preferences but to smash the civ that I think I can overwhelm and fast. The smallest differs from game to game.
Old November 21, 2002, 00:42   #39
Mad Bomber
King

I take out my immediate neighbors first, then the rest of the civ's on MY continent. Then the rest
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old November 21, 2002, 10:11   #40
Worthingtons
Prince

These days I usually play England anyway, out of sheer Nationalism, However, When I used to play as Rome i have to admit originally being reluctant to attack England, however, after Elizibeth backstabbed me my 'misgiving' ended there.

I just to attack to Germany and France these days tho, after all, i am playing for FUN,

Like a few others here, i also take delight in Crushing Russia, due to arrogance of Cathy.

If America is in the game, i also try and maintain the good relationship between our countries that exist in real-life , unless of course, they start right next to me.
Old November 21, 2002, 10:53   #41
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Re: England.. hmm stick it up your jumper
Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ
so elizabeth will have to sit in my dungeon , can have some fun with her later.
Old November 21, 2002, 11:29   #42
Traelin
Prince

I have no qualms with b***hslapping Abe, he has double-crossed me so many times it's not even funny. I especially hate it when he demands me to move my troops from his territory, and when I comply and ask him to do the same, he declares war on me. What a bum!
Old November 22, 2002, 09:48   #43
Emma
Chieftain

no, not really. but i must admitt that there are some civs i pick on especially.
Old November 22, 2002, 17:12   #44
wilbill
Warlord

Re: A target?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
...do you people have any preferred targets for agression? Mine's Russia, for pure historical reasons...
Mine's Egypt but for personal reasons. When she's in her "furious" mode, Cleo reminds me of my ex-wife. First time I noticed that, I actually got so involved in taking Egypt out of the game that I ended up losing.
Old November 23, 2002, 07:55   #45
The Puny Celt
Settler

Local Time: 21:05
Re: A target?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
Aside from protecting or keeping a civ alive, do you people have any preferred targets for agression? Mine's Russia, for pure historical reasons...
The Aztecs are treacherous in game after game so I like to go after them whenever I can. In CivII I always liked attacking the English, I hated those little orange b@st@rds. But in Civ3 I don't feel the same irrational hatred for some reason.
Old November 23, 2002, 15:04   #46
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 13:05
hi ,

this topic should have been a poll

no , why should we feel guilty , its only a game

have a nice day
Old November 23, 2002, 15:56   #47
Patroklos
Emperor

I have too say that I don't have any problems with turning the good ol US of A into self illuminating polished parking lot. I am pretty Machiavellian, it it helps me out go for it.

However, I have to say because of the particular civ I belong too, it gets a little more complicated. Due to the hegemony of the US military right now, and how I like to play real life senario maps (I am a histroy major, and enjoy seeing what would happen if something changed in histical scenarios), I enjoy fighting America in modern times to see if it can be done

PS, I have to say one of the most exhausting things I have ever had to do is make a real world scenario in modern times on a global scale.
Old November 23, 2002, 15:59   #48
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos
I have too say that I don't have any problems with turning the good ol US of A into self illuminating polished parking lot. I am pretty Machiavellian, it it helps me out go for it.

However, I have to say because of the particular civ I belong too, it gets a little more complicated. Due to the hegemony of the US military right now, and how I like to play real life senario maps (I am a histroy major, and enjoy seeing what would happen if something changed in histical scenarios), I enjoy fighting America in modern times to see if it can be done

PS, I have to say one of the most exhausting things I have ever had to do is make a real world scenario in modern times on a global scale.
hi ,

, the scenario is it available for download

have a nice day
Old November 23, 2002, 19:33   #49
Naiveplayer
Chieftain

Re: Re: A target?
Quote:
Originally posted by wilbill

Mine's Egypt but for personal reasons. When she's in her "furious" mode, Cleo reminds me of my ex-wife. First time I noticed that, I actually got so involved in taking Egypt out of the game that I ended up losing.
Really?
1000 Clues that you have been playing Civilization 3 too much

Hope you don't mind.
Old November 24, 2002, 01:32   #50
King of Rasslin
Prince

Being southern, I hate Abe so much! I just pretend that the US represents the Union during the Civil War, then it becomes very easy to fight him!

I remember having the Americans march 20+ soldiers through my territory to attack the Japanese in a "war on terror." When I complained about them using my land after a while, they turned on me! I held them off, but they severely damaged my economy by pillaging my roads. When I recovered and made peace, I raised an army to crush them in the next conflict.
Old November 24, 2002, 01:42   #51
wilbill
Warlord

Re: Re: Re: A target?
Quote:
Originally posted by Naiveplayer

Really?
1000 Clues that you have been playing Civilization 3 too much

Hope you don't mind.
No, I don't mind. But, of course, I already knew that. Luckily the second wife thinks Civ is a good way to keep me out of troube. She also loves sports. A keeper.
Old November 24, 2002, 02:41   #52
Sir Hawkeye
Chieftain

I would have compunctions, but Abe tends to be a whiny, overagressive, backstabbing madman, so its hard to be nice to him. Of course, all the AIs tend to be like that.

I make an ill-tempered pacifist, at best.
Old November 24, 2002, 07:51   #53
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by King of Rasslin
Being southern, I hate Abe so much! I just pretend that the US represents the Union during the Civil War, then it becomes very easy to fight him!

I remember having the Americans march 20+ soldiers through my territory to attack the Japanese in a "war on terror." When I complained about them using my land after a while, they turned on me! I held them off, but they severely damaged my economy by pillaging my roads. When I recovered and made peace, I raised an army to crush them in the next conflict.
hi ,

, that sounds like it real live , ......

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; November 25, 2002 at 06:21.
Old November 24, 2002, 17:22   #54
Patroklos
Emperor

Hey Panag,

I am on vacation now, but when I get back to school in a week I'll make a point to post it
Old November 24, 2002, 22:55   #55
Andreiguy
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

i dont mind destroying anything -
but if an enemy decides to attack russia (my birthplace), ill usually use it as an excuse to declare war on them to "keep the balance of power"

also, i never raze new york. new york is the best!!