Old November 18, 2002, 17:19   #31
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 12:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Important for all the newbies at simcountry

-change your education priorities giving lots of "points" to managers, medium-hi level workers (25/45) according to yr needs, doctors, teachers/uni teachers and executives (20-10) and no more than 1/2 points to nurses

-check your corporations: read what I said about quality and change che trade priorities using the menu

sell: 5% and 10% decrease after a month
bid materials: 4% and 15/20% after a month

-don't build roads, rails, water pumps, hospitals or universities, spend instead on schools and hi-schools (only if you have less than 1/3 of your needs; countries receiving lack of teachers messages shouldn't even build schools at all and invest money on corporations

-taxes: 30%+40% is a fair price, but feel free to raise those ones to 40%+45% not more

-seek CEOs to build corps in your country to decrease unemployment and give wages to your working masses of silly peasants

-budget: have a look at the expected full-year projections; if you're gaining 40 B and spending 100 B something is wrong. Cut down by 50% everything which is not education. Turn military down of 90% and education not more than 20%

-ask federation members trade agreements and hints about how to play
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old November 18, 2002, 19:10   #32
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 22:07
On your education page, you will be able to see how many teachers and university teachers you have with comparison to how many you need. My country had hardly any, so my teacher priority is at 40. Now I'm getting about 500 per month rather than the small number I used to be getting.

Try building a new corporation (one you own pays its profit to you as well as taxes). Services is always a good one. It will show you a table with all the different types of workers, and from there you can judge how many of each you need (in a general sense) and be able to set the education priorities based upon your needs.

What countries are people playing? I am president of The DreamWorld KingDom.
Old November 18, 2002, 19:25   #33
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 06:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit
-seek CEOs to build corps in your country to decrease unemployment and give wages to your working masses of silly peasants
How do I do that?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old November 18, 2002, 19:25   #34
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
What countries are people playing? I am president of The DreamWorld KingDom.
I am president of Silence Eper.
Old November 18, 2002, 20:11   #35
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

My observations:
You have almost enough people for an additional 2 universities. I would recommend getting them now so you can have more executives being trained. Teachers are in desperate shortage, so bump thier priority right up too. You don't have enough teachers for additional schools or highschools, so don't build any of them yet.

Corporations: You have 2 high-tech services industries which are in high demand. You should extort the hell out of these by setting their selling strategy to maybe 150% above market and reducing by 5% each month they are not sold. This will get you a nice profit. Check the demand for your other corporations, and adjust them as necessary.

Also, get both companies to reserve 100,000 units each, and next month sell 100,000 to your own country (which doesn't have any) and perhaps sell the other companies reserved units to your own companies that have shortages of high-tech services.
Old November 18, 2002, 22:28   #36
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Corporations: You have 2 high-tech services industries which are in high demand. You should extort the hell out of these by setting their selling strategy to maybe 150% above market and reducing by 5% each month they are not sold.
Pretend that I'm stupid and tell me how to do that.

Edit: Nevermind. I figured that out. Do any of the other companies stand out to you?

Last edited by DinoDoc; November 18, 2002 at 22:34.
Old November 18, 2002, 22:52   #37
Skanky Burns

Hmm, well now I seem to be having trouble moving them at 250% cost. Worth a try anyway. I've still got my biggest services company offering them at 250% as it can afford to wait a bit before getting more income. My second is now trying 199% of cost.

The easiest way to change all your company selling strategies is to go to "Corporation Value" page. Near the bottom is a "set trade strategies" option, which allows you to change the selling (and buying) strategies of all your companies.

Also, with products that aren't in demand, it is a better idea to sell slightly below their market value. If their quality is 130 for instance, try selling at 28% above market cost. Your air-transport company can probably raise its prices a bit.

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited by Skanky Burns; November 18, 2002 at 23:02.
Old November 18, 2002, 22:55   #38
DinoDoc
Deity

Am I selling anything you need? Would you like to work out a trade contract? Would that be worthwhile at this time?
Old November 18, 2002, 23:01   #39
Skanky Burns

You need High-tech services and milk, which I can provide (next month) and I need bread which you can provide (next month). If you could reserve about 100,000 units of bread for me at market price, that would be great. I might get 50,000 units of clothes too if you don't mind. I can reserve however much milk and high-tech services you need at market price, services too if you want.

Also avaliable for market-price is electricity, gasoline, spices.
Old November 19, 2002, 05:58   #40
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 13:07
I've got a enterprise caller McKropotkin. I'm trying to start my companies in apolyton countries if possible. So far I have the following countries:

*Schiller Republic
*SeaSide View
*Keit Alliance
*DreamWorld KingDom
*Silence Eper

If there's someone else out there that wants to be on that list, post it here or pm me.
Old November 19, 2002, 07:57   #41
Skanky Burns

I've got buying working well now. I just add 1 or 2 % to the cost price (no matter if its in shortage or excess) and my order normally gets filled faster and much much cheaper than even immediate pricing.

Kropotkin, I don't think I have enough staff for another company yet, but I'm pumping out executives now (at 99 priority compared to 6) so soon I should have plenty.
Old November 19, 2002, 09:21   #42
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Build some CEOs companies in Franit Empire as well please- got plenty of workers
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old November 19, 2002, 09:31   #43
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:07
Well, I've got myself a nice little country called Tupan, in the Virgina Bella continent. Now I just need to learn how to play this thing adequately.
Old November 19, 2002, 10:10   #44
dudemanjack
Warlord

Local Time: 07:07
I am president of Revillon, home of the $170 billion debt with a 4 million population...:-D
Old November 19, 2002, 11:27   #45
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
I can reserve however much milk and high-tech services you need at market price, services too if you want.
25000 units of milk would be nice. I've set the companies to reserve the requested portion of thier production aside for you.
Old November 19, 2002, 14:29   #46
DinoDoc
Deity

BTW, are there any industries that you would recommend that I get into. I'm looking to close one of my corporations.
Old November 19, 2002, 20:37   #47
Skanky Burns

Services is always a good industry. I'm experimenting now with a quality upgrades company, planning on selling them to all my companies and then being able to sell my products at a high mark-up. It turns out that massive mark-ups don't work, despite the fact that there is a massive shortage of the product.

Anyway, 25000 units are available for you, sell it to your country?
Old November 19, 2002, 20:41   #48
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

What's wrong with weapon industries? All those I built are now closed

Asher on molly bloom
Old November 19, 2002, 20:44   #49
Skanky Burns

Weapons industries are over-produced, and don't make money unless quality is very high.

Dino: I have sold 25,000 units of milk to your country. If you want it to be sold to a company instead, just let me know and reject the trade proposal I sent.
Old November 20, 2002, 07:58   #50
Skanky Burns

Hmm, I've just bought a quality upgrades company to produce upgrades for my other companies. I was thinking it would be cheaper than buying them on the market. However, a calculation based on the cost of materials and staff means that it costs me about 9B $E to run the factory for a year producing 78 quality upgrades. Or 3.5B $E worth.

Hopefully it won't be the death of me. Regardless of the price, I will be upgrading my other companies, increasing the price of their products and getting more income that way. Then upgrading the quality upgrade company with its own stock. Finally, I might just be able to sell these things for more than they cost to produce.
Oh well, worth a try anyway.

In related news, I have bought plenty of products for my country's consumption, the only one I am having trouble getting is construction. Another factory is being built to help with that, and to make me more money while its at it. My finances suck currently as I haven't been able to move stock at my massively marked-up prices, but I've now put the mark-up to just under the quality level, and seem to be making a profit again. Next month should tell just how accurate that statement is.
Old November 20, 2002, 21:26   #51
Skanky Burns

Well, it turns out that a quality upgrades company is akin to shooting yourself in the head. With a rocket launcher.

After a month of expensive operation, my factory had consumed 800M $E in materials and staff wages. It produced 6 quality upgrades which I then tried to sell to my own companies. Nope, can't do. I then ordered some upgrades in other companies of mine, and again tried selling to my own companies (now that they had an order for the product). Again, no. So I put my quality upgrades on the market at 1% above cost price. They sold, bringing in a massive 150M $E.
Total profit for 1 month: -650M $E. Even at 400% of market price, this would still cost me more than it made, so that company is now non-existant.

I have replaced it with an order for a boats company and an electronic components company.

Dino: You still haven't replied to the milk proposal.
Old November 21, 2002, 11:06   #52
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Dino: You still haven't replied to the milk proposal.
I thought that I had accepted it. What should I do to accept it?

PS Do you need high tech services? I have a lot of unsold product to move.
Old November 21, 2002, 12:42   #53
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

How do you manage 570 B of debts?

Asher on molly bloom
Old November 21, 2002, 15:02   #54
DinoDoc
Deity

I only have 80 B in debts.
Old November 21, 2002, 15:10   #55
Sandman
King

When you have less than 10B in cash, request a new loan of 50B at an interest rate of 4%. When this arrives, use it to clear your higher-interest debts. This will save you loads of money.
Old November 21, 2002, 15:26   #56
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

The bank is NOT going to give me loans under 15%

Asher on molly bloom
Old November 21, 2002, 16:06   #57
Sandman
King

The bank doesn't, other players do.
Old November 21, 2002, 16:07   #58
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Smart!

Asher on molly bloom
Old November 21, 2002, 19:59   #59
Jules
Warlord

That's because when you offer a loan, you don't get to choose the borrower nor the terms of the loan (interest rate and time to repay). Your money just gets thrown into the market; whoever wants it gets it. I wish it was possible to loan directly to countries and corporations. Would make international relations much more interesting.
Old November 25, 2002, 01:31   #60
Skanky Burns

Interesting. I'm attempting that now, but so far no-one has offered me a loan at 4% interest.
Thankfully, I got my 40B $E from signing up myself and someone else, so thats put me in a safer position.

I have experimented with contracts, and now my brother and my economy is tightly coupled. Which is a problem as the contracts were made when the cost price of goods were low, and they have since skyrocketed. Oh well, only 90 months left of the contracts.

One of my services companies has reached 50B+ $E value which is good. It is selling mostly to market, and I have been increasing its quality (and price) continuously.